Leg Cracks

Reaction score
After a post flight inspection today I noticed these cracks on the front legs. I never crashed or had any hard landings and never hand catch or even carry my drone by the legs that would cause any stress on the legs.
My conclusion was the DJI gimbal lock. If you don’t push in on the legs while putting on the gimbal lock the leg brace on lock will break off. Found that out after going through 3 gimbal locks.
Was wondering if anyone uses non DJI gimbal locks and how well they fit.

IMG_0823.jpg

IMG_0824.jpg

IMG_0826.jpg

Nothing a little superglue can’t fix. A couple of my battery covers have superglue scars on them.
Hey we just use duct tape here ?

They say duct tape is the ultimate survival tool.
So many uses.
Works on the spouse’s mouth when I get a new drone but that’s
another subject ?

These cracks looks really horrible. Don't know how much are related to gimbal protector putting on and off.
I have no such problems as I never put the protector on. It's only waste of time and put the gimbal to an extra load.
And I have been using this P4P for 4 years now on pretty regular shedule.
For the transport I put a layer of soft sponge onto the box bottom just to touch the camera and prevent it from movements.

Favorite tool for aircraft aswell lol
Must be good if this chap uses it,,,no I not ever get on a plane again
View attachment 121686
That's not duct tape, that's genuine aluminum speed tape, It's about .5 to 1mm thick and will stay on up to at least mach .80 in the right spot. I have a roll purloined from somewhere in the toolchest and it is a good bit of kit!

Last edited:
That's not duct tape, that's genuine aluminum speed tape, It's about .5 to 1mm thick and will stay on up to to at least mach .80 in the right spot. I have a roll purloined from somewhere in the toolchest and it is a good bit of kit!
Ah yip good stuff too,I use it a lot,,um yeh maintenance got few creases on close up,
16164745490511174220959403868504.jpg

Reactions: skymonkey
I have a P4 that I carry around as a backup on jobs, and have used the DJI gimbal lock since 2016 with no stress cracks on the legs. I personally like how the DJI gimbal lock secures everything.
Plastic ages differently depending on temperature, humidity, and any number of factors. You can use some gorilla glue to stop a tiny crack from spreading, but with cracks that large, I would probably just replace the legs. Legs are cheap, relative to the damage you could get from rolling over on landing after a landing leg failure.
Even if you fix a small crack, be extra vigilant during pre and post flight inspections. Plastic cracking is a warning that the material is becoming compromised. Replacing worn or damaged parts early is the best insurance you can ever have.

Mask up and Fly safe

Reactions: skymonkey
I have a P4 that I carry around as a backup on jobs, and have used the DJI gimbal lock since 2016 with no stress cracks on the legs. I personally like how the DJI gimbal lock secures everything.
Plastic ages differently depending on temperature, humidity, and any number of factors. You can use some gorilla glue to stop a tiny crack from spreading, but with cracks that large, I would probably just replace the legs. Legs are cheap, relative to the damage you could get from rolling over on landing after a landing leg failure.
Even if you fix a small crack, be extra vigilant during pre and post flight inspections. Plastic cracking is a warning that the material is becoming compromised. Replacing worn or damaged parts early is the best insurance you can ever have.

Mask up and Fly safe

The only way to get my gimbal lock on is to push in on the legs as the all the gimbal locks I’ve had have either been too short, or maybe my phantom legs are defective. Im going to take you up on that advice and get new legs. Thanks

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31