leave battery in drone when not flying?

I've punctured several including laptop types and never had such results until I used/allowed the spike to short cells.
Your experience was likely due more to internal damage than just exposure to air.

It's perfectly safe to keep a battery stored in your Phantom while it's not in use. That's how DJI ships them out and countless stores have Phantoms sitting on store shelves like that.
Msinger,can you tell me why my P4P+ does not accept the last December firmware allowing new panoramas. The r.c. says « latest version,which is unthreatening.I have been waiting for a month,and no update Can it be because the P4P+ uses an android tablet?Any suggestion?

Msinger,can you tell me why my P4P+ does not accept the last December firmware allowing new panoramas. The r.c. says « latest version,which is unthreatening.I have been waiting for a month,and no update Can it be because the P4P+ uses an android tablet?Any suggestion?

Please start a new thread in the future or (PM #msinger).

You'll get better results than hoping someone notices this (where it doesn't belong).

Cheers and no hard feelings, please.

An interesting thread. If it is safe to have it in the drone for storage, why do we need to have it in a LiPO bag for flying on an aeroplane?

An interesting thread. If it is safe to have it in the drone for storage, why do we need to have it in a LiPO bag for flying on an aeroplane?

There is no requirement for any type of bag at this time.

However there are restrictions as to check-in vs carry-on bags, size (watt-hour), and terminals should be covered or otherwise protected from inadvertent shorting.

You can Google this for more information right from the FAA.

Reactions: Niggs
Good tip ... in fact, excellent!!

If you have more than a fender-bender, throw out the battery!! No sense taking chances on a LiPo fire in your home!!

I've punctured several including laptop types and never had such results until I used/allowed the spike to short cells.
Your experience was likely due more to internal damage than just exposure to air.

I probably wasn't clear enough, but I didn't mean to say the entire event was caused by exposure to air. The lithium ions inside the battery expand when they come in contact with sufficient oxygen. That expanding mixture is very flammable, and creates a lot of pressure which sprays out of a break in the membrane. Yes, it needs an ignition source, but a spark is not hard to come by when a battery is compromised that way.

As I said, the batteries were involved in hard crashes, so yes there was internal damage. That's what compromised the membrane. When the first one crashed, it probably shorted on impact and ignited. The second probably shorted when I jiggled the cable and ignited.

I probably wasn't clear enough, but I didn't mean to say the entire event was caused by exposure to air. The lithium ions inside the battery expand when they come in contact with sufficient oxygen. That expanding mixture is very flammable, and creates a lot of pressure which sprays out of a break in the membrane. Yes, it needs an ignition source, but a spark is not hard to come by when a battery is compromised that way.

As I said, the batteries were involved in hard crashes, so yes there was internal damage. That's what compromised the membrane. When the first one crashed, it probably shorted on impact and ignited. The second probably shorted when I jiggled the cable and ignited.
Is it the lithium compounds that are highly flammable? Or is it organic compounds in the electrolyte? Clearly the oxidiser is oxygen (atmospheric and produced by decomposition of compounds in the cell). Internal shorts (ohmic heating) are most likely to be the ignition source rather than an external spark or cable jiggling.

Msinger,can you tell me why my P4P+ does not accept the last December firmware allowing new panoramas.
The current remote controller firmware is 1.2.2.0. After installing that version, you'll then be able to update DJI GO separately from "Settings" --> "Application Setting" --> "Check for Update" (which will allow you to install DJI GO 4.1.15). Unfortunately, you won't be able to use the pano modes yet since that feature requires DJI GO 4.1.20 (or higher). We'll have to wait until DJI allows DJI GO 4.1.20 to be installed on the P4P+ remote controller.

If you need further help with this, please create a new thread (so we can keep this one on topic).

I was looking at a pre-flight/post-flight check list and the last item on the post-flight list was to remove the battery from the drone. So my question is should I be taking my battery out of the drone when I'm not flying it? or is it safe to leave in? Thoughts and or reasons why?

Next time immediately after flying remove the battery and feel the heat that it is putting out. I have two batteries for a drone that are about the same age,I am trying to use them equally and one I am removing as soon as possible the other I’m not, will advise when I get some data.

It's perfectly safe to keep a battery stored in your Phantom while it's not in use. That's how DJI ships them out and countless stores have Phantoms sitting on store shelves like that.

All I know, when I got my P4P (from B&H Photo) the included battery that was in Phantom was DOA and had to be sent back. When this happened, I researched the issue extensively and it appears there are A LOT of new owners that had the exact same experience. I have to wonder if this is a byproduct of extended storage within the drone. Just a hunch.

I now have 3 batteries and have had no problems, but I store them outside of the drone. I also use the multi charging station. Haven’t had the need to put in storage mode yet, but expect to do so when necessary. Just wanted to share my experience.

I have to wonder if this is a byproduct of extended storage within the drone.
I think it's nothing more than an indication that the battery was in storage for too long (or that it was defective). This commonly happens to DJI batteries that are stored untouched for long periods of time outside of Phantoms too.

Reactions: AndrewCCM
I suppose DJI should ship the batteries with a bit more charge in them. 20% is a bit low for long term storage like when its first manufactured.
I always take batteries out after use because they are pretty warm. People say 60C is normal but any excessive heat should be avoided. When the aircraft is powered off even the silly wee internal fan is off.
So yeah, remove for cooling and store one in the craft. Dont see there would be any problem.

Reactions: AndrewCCM
I was looking at a pre-flight/post-flight check list and the last item on the post-flight list was to remove the battery from the drone. So my question is should I be taking my battery out of the drone when I'm not flying it? or is it safe to leave in? Thoughts and or reasons why?

Is anyone ambitious enough to go through this forum thread and come up with count of how many leave the battery in and how many take it out and how many don't care. It will be interesting to know.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl