Launching from a sailboat and retrieve it while sailing

FYI, Recent discussion from viewers last week about 107 rules and how to land drone on sailboat in “project Atticus”on YouTube.
I know ?

All good tips in here. Follow it especially the using a second person to hand catch and the tip about beginning the return to home with plenty of battery remaining. The winds cause the motors to work harder to maintain flight position, but also to get back home. Plus you have plenty of reserve to deal with any issues which may arise, as I just experienced.

I launched a P4P from a sailboat which was underway. The captain sailed down wind at a speed equal to the wind so I was able to safety lift off.

However, my drone experienced a major technical failure with GPS positioning, I suspect, because I lifted off before locking enough satellites. The vision system then malfunctioned and the UAV started an automatic landing, YIKES, a quarter mile behind the boat over open seas.

I was able to only control the speed of descent, no other flight commands worked. Several anxious minutes later, the captain positioned the boat below the drone which was safety recovered.

All good tips in here. Follow it especially the using a second person to hand catch and the tip about beginning the return to home with plenty of battery remaining. The winds cause the motors to work harder to maintain flight position, but also to get back home. Plus you have plenty of reserve to deal with any issues which may arise, as I just experienced.

I launched a P4P from a sailboat which was underway. The captain sailed down wind at a speed equal to the wind so I was able to safety lift off.

However, my drone experienced a major technical failure with GPS positioning, I suspect, because I lifted off before locking enough satellites. The vision system then malfunctioned and the UAV started an automatic landing, YIKES, a quarter mile behind the boat over open seas.

I was able to only control the speed of descent, no other flight commands worked. Several anxious minutes later, the captain positioned the boat below the drone which was safety recovered.

That must of been gut wrenching Steve
Thanks for all the tips
Been watching quite a few videos on launching and retrieve techniques
I’m quite comfortable with mine from the safety of land but with a dodger and full canopy makes it quite difficult
Again much appreciated for the advice and comments from everyone
Cheers

Reactions: DC Steve
Your recorded flight data would probably show what actually happened, but without seeing that it's hard to tell what happened.
Launching before getting GPS would not have caused any problem at all and it's hard to imagine how/why the vision system would have initiated landing.
But if your drone is in an autolanding situation, you won't be able to do much until you cancel the autolanding.

Reactions: DC Steve

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4