Launching from a sailboat and retrieve it while sailing

Reaction score
Need a bit of tutorial vídeos on how to properly launch and retrieve a phantom 4 while sailing
Hope for some good advice
Cheers
Lou

Welcome to the forum. Lots here do it but if you want a video
search YouTube for catching a Phantom from a sailboat and
you will find many. ?

Reactions: Thunderbird 1
Need a bit of tutorial vídeos on how to properly launch and retrieve a phantom 4 while sailing
Hand launching and catching on a boat is much easier with a helper.
Bringing the drone back in can be very tricky if the boat is moving.
Practise everything on land before ever trying it on a boat.

If you check out YouTube for “Sailing Doodles” or “Sailing Uma” you’ll find them occasionally showing their launch or retrieval of their drones,,,, lots of episodes to view to find the right one but some good sailing videos, especially Uma!!
I bought my P4 5 years ago for the same purpose! Fair winds!!

Reactions: Thunderbird 1
Wow, that video was insane. The launch consisted of unceremoniously throwing the drone into the air, but the retrieval was even wilder. And through it all, the rain was just belting down. Now that is testimony to the rugged design of DJI drones.

If you check out YouTube for “Sailing Doodles” or “Sailing Uma” you’ll find them occasionally showing their launch or retrieval of their drones,,,, lots of episodes to view to find the right one but some good sailing videos, especially Uma!!
I bought my P4 5 years ago for the same purpose! Fair winds!!

Wow, that video was insane. The launch consisted of unceremoniously throwing the drone into the air, but the retrieval was even wilder. And through it all, the rain was just belting down. Now that is testimony to the rugged design of DJI drones.
That's not rain, it's seawater.
The drone is being used as a disposable tool and wouldn't last long.

Welcome to the forum. Lots here do it but if you want a video
search YouTube for catching a Phantom from a sailboat and
you will find many. ?
FYI, Recent discussion from viewers last week about 107 rules and how to land drone on sailboat in “project Atticus”on YouTube.

That’s very helpful
I do watch some of those YouTube videos and their videos from the drone are fantastic
Much appreciated
Also thanks for welcoming me to this forum

You didn't tell us about your skills.
If you going to fly a drone from a boat then you should practice landing in windy weather on the ground and do this in manual mode!
Only when you become familiar whit it the boat can be the next step. There is always wind on a moving boat even if there is no wind. Holding the position in GPS mode is of no use as you can't have the home point. There are many ropes and wires around the boat and there are waves on the sea. An auto landing is no option. You must be very careful about the remaining level of the batt. You'll need it much more for the landing than doing it on the ground. And avoid salt water if you want to have the drone after the sailing.

And never do this in the condition showed in the video!

Last edited:
The only thing I was impressed with in that video was how stable the drone and resulting video was in those gale force winds. That return to the boat was very dangerous and irresponsible. The drone could have easily lacerated the boat pilot's face or eye if he hadn't reacted quickly.

Reactions: Billie Nelson

I enjoyed the heck out of that video...that was awesome. Flying in less than sparsely populated area posses no threats to anyone. I’m sure your crew knew and accepted the risk of injuries.
Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 54_96
Cheers
Lou
For some odd reason, expensive sails and spinning propellers just don't go together. If it's a challenge your after, why not try catching your P4 with your feet while getting a root canal? Won't have to worry about being outdone or a 'me too' on YouTube. Hit me up for some more ideas after you nail that one...

The only thing I was impressed with in that video was how stable the drone and resulting video was in those gale force winds. That return to the boat was very dangerous and irresponsible. The drone could have easily lacerated the boat pilot's face or eye if he hadn't reacted quickly.

Yes I have to agree with you
Quite dangerous and also impressed with the quick reflexes the deck hand had
I’ve had two nasty cuts from my phantom and I was wearing long sleeve shirts
Thanks for the comments

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20