Latest iOS 4.1.2 app - loss of speed

Reaction score
So, as always I keep up to date with app and firmware updates (well last year's updates anyway) on my P4. Updated the latest iOS GO4 app and could not get past 30 kph, no OA and a very slight breeze at my usual flying spot. No matter which direction I flew from home point, could not get past 30 kph, switched to sports mode and managed 50-60 kph where I would normally get at least 10-20 kph more. Maybe the drone was having a quiet day but even after a stern talking to, she wouldn't kick into gear and I burned a battery switching between the GO and the Litchi app to see if there was a difference. All settings were as per the norm, pre checks revealed nothing out of the ordinary and the RC functions were spot on. I tested RTH and had enough time to mow the lawn, feed my chooks and get dinner ready by the time it came back.
Am I missing something?

So, as always I keep up to date with app and firmware updates (well last year's updates anyway) on my P4. Updated the latest iOS GO4 app and could not get past 30 kph, no OA and a very slight breeze at my usual flying spot. No matter which direction I flew from home point, could not get past 30 kph, switched to sports mode and managed 50-60 kph where I would normally get at least 10-20 kph more. Maybe the drone was having a quiet day but even after a stern talking to, she wouldn't kick into gear and I burned a battery switching between the GO and the Litchi app to see if there was a difference. All settings were as per the norm, pre checks revealed nothing out of the ordinary and the RC functions were spot on. I tested RTH and had enough time to mow the lawn, feed my chooks and get dinner ready by the time it came back.
Am I missing something?
Yeh remember all those post about capped speed ,i sure i got robbed to like many others,my sport mode used to be awsome which was one reason i buy after watching utube clips,now like you its hurry up ,waiting ,still cool but the power it had just not 100% its about 90% ,

Reactions: tevek
Yeh remember all those post about capped speed ,i sure i got robbed to like many others,my sport mode used to be awsome which was one reason i buy after watching utube clips,now like you its hurry up ,waiting ,still cool but the power it had just not 100% its about 90% ,
Yep, I remember reading your posts, and found it hard to believe there would be that change in speed in P-GPS. Took it out today and there is a definite loss of speed. No idea.

Looks like you updated craft firmware?

I see two reasons for reducing speed ;

P-mode: allow more time for OA detection
S-mode: get out of higher shell stress

No I'm still running the latest firmware 1.02.06/1.8. Even with OA turned off there is no change in speed.

I would like to share this one with you as looking very similar.

Slow forward flight
Thanks RemyHeli, I was flying in all directions with OA turned off, may do a RC calibration just to rule it out. The change in speed only occurred after the iOS app update. Starting to think that I have not turned OA off as the icon at the top of the display does not turn red as per normal, despite me switching it off in the settings.
Has to be something simple.
Cheers.

Reactions: RémyHeli

Just for the record i not do firmware just update app info when get new prompt,its does check my version before it
Thanks RemyHeli, I was flying in all directions with OA turned off, may do a RC calibration just to rule it out. The change in speed only occurred after the iOS app update. Starting to think that I have not turned OA off as the icon at the top of the display does not turn red as per normal, despite me switching it off in the settings.
Cheers.
Hey we could all just fly backwards change strobes around
I would like to share this one with you as looking very similar.

Slow forward flight
Nice idea change strobes around and fly forward going backwards ,never tryed top speed in reverse ,next flight :)

Reactions: tevek
Cheers.
I thought that the top speed was limited a few updates back - my P4P certainly won't top 50 mph any longer - the fastest I can get (even with a tail wind) is just over 49mph

I thought that the top speed was limited a few updates back - my P4P certainly won't top 50 mph any longer - the fastest I can get (even with a tail wind) is just over 49mph
You're right about the max speeds being set on the drone, my trouble is I can't get past 30kph in P mode regardless of wind conditions. Had a play in the settings last night and will give it a run today if the rain stops. I'm obviously doing something wrong....

max speed for my P4P is just over 30mph in P mode - looking back at my flight logs, the lowered speed limits appear to have kicked in sometime in Early/mid April

Last edited:
You're right about the max speeds being set on the drone, my trouble is I can't get past 30kph in P mode regardless of wind conditions. Had a play in the settings last night and will give it a run today if the rain stops. I'm obviously doing something wrong....

Isn't multiple flight mode disabled in your case? That option would typically reduce speed and might have been disabled when installing new version of GO4 app.

Otherwise I have found this showing general intent to reduce speed - but not sure if info is reliable.
db02568d0cb2442fbd4abe8a9eadbc5f.jpg

When I check the specs (which haven't changed since the P4 pro was released), I see: Max Speed S-mode: 45 mph (72 kph)
That's probably why your Phantom won't top 50 mph - it never did (without a tailwind).

Otherwise I have found this showing general intent to reduce speed - but not sure if info is reliable.
the earlier ones appear to have had this limit applied as well - it makes sense if the reason is to eliminate failures
That sounds extremely dubious and that it came from a DJI source does nothing for its credibility - we've heard all kinds of nonsense from DJI sources.
Even if there was a need to dial back speed in Sport Mode, why would the much slower top speed of P-GPS mode be cut back?
It doesn't make any sense.

Right so much slower must be something else. Let's see if tevek can check the mutiple flight mode option. Wondering if some GO app option got reset to default setting when he installed last version (I haven't as waiting to see how it goes).

All my settings are as per the previous app, I always check them pre flight as part of my routine in any case. The sun is slowly making its way up and I'll have a quick flight and I have a suspicion that OA has something to do with it. Despite me disabling it, the icon at the top of the app refused to change red and ask me to acknowledge the 'fly with caution' banner. Last night it, for whatever reason, prompted me do so. I'll come back and post my results.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guudguy39