Landing the phantom 2 to the ground or hand-catch?

Captain Obvious said:
Again, that's compass interference and has absolutely nothing to do GPS.

again, it doesn't really matter which one it is if the Phantom won't fly. We can do this all day... nevermind no we can't I'll get bored. wait, I already am.

you were right the first time... no need to keep re-hashing unless you just love hearing yourself talk. the point is you can't boot up and take off properly from those types of surfaces. we're already way off the topic of this conversation.

Hand catch. The GoPro and antenna are so close to the ground (and I fly over uneven surfaces) that landing would surely damage it at some point.
By the way, I really don't think you can chop fingers off with the props... I've had my hand cut a bit with the props during an "emergency" situation.

You can get leg extensions that snap on and off in seconds from Shapeways.com.
I think every pilot needs to acquire the skill to actually land their drone hands free.

What you choose to do after that is your choice.

LOL, that old joke: How can you tell which shoulder a pirate keep his parrot on? The side with the eye patch.
How can you tell hand catchers from ground landers? The amount of bandages on their hands (though I've never even come close to a laceration from hand catching).

You're right GoodnNuff, the extensions are nice! I got them, used them, liked them, but have since then have upgraded to the new compass which does not work with the extenders. The only downside I saw was having to snap them on/off every time because the Phantom would not fit with them in the backpack.

By the way, my "emergency" situation was not a hand-catch but an attempt to prevent a fly-away.... And the cuts were more like tiny scratches.

I hand-catch every time. It seems like less stress/risk to the Phantom and less mental stress for me. I've done it over 300 times in many places and conditions with no issues.

nhoover said:
I hand-catch every time. It seems like less stress/risk to the Phantom and less mental stress for me. I've done it over 300 times in many places and conditions with no issues.

I agree. I hand catch to reduce risk. It is no big deal doing normal landings - except on uneven ground....that is not a level playing field ;)

:idea: :!:
Captain Obvious said:
QYV said:
as long as the surface is dirt, rock or wood (not metallic or magnetic so GPS isn't negatively impacted).

Ferromagnetic surfaces do not negatively impact the Phantom's ability to acquire GPS lock.Ferromagnetic surfaces can negatively impact the compass.

:!: :idea: :mrgreen:

i do both. usually ground launch unless its snowy or something.
once you do it a few times its really fast and more efficient to hand catch. hand catching has its risks but i still feel its less risky then trying to land it level and risk tipping it over and breaking a prop. take it to like 8 ft and reach up and grab it, hold it until you kill the engines. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

.ground launch :shock:
.hand catch :shock:

I dont get all of these tipovers and the need to hand catch, i have never had an issue landing

The only time i hand catch is if i dont have a flat surface, the fact the gopro is basically touching the ground is dumb they should have made the landing gear an inch longer from the factory so we wouldnt need to.

I hand catch cause get i applauses and it makes the girls wet (when done properly)

The phantom suffers from ground effects from its own prop wash and it can also lose horizon sats when closer to the ground. Keeping it above 6ft minimises this and prevents excited animals or kids running into the props.

The hand catch also forces you to NOT use the dreaded CSC to kill the motors. This causes 90% of the tip overs. And yes i know its down then centre to prevent it.

I prefer hand catching to avoid a tip over. Once the weather clears up and there's less wind I'll probably land more often.
Am i the only one who never has anything close to a tip over?

TheFaultCraft said:
I prefer hand catching to avoid a tip over. Once the weather clears up and there's less wind I'll probably land more often.

Same here i have never seen it go sideways at all let alone come close to tipping

Jonesy22 said:
So whats the best way to kill the motors when hand catching it?

2 ways.. if you have a lanyard or neckstrap then use your left hand and hold the left down stick for 3 secs.

If you are on the latest firmware, hold her still for 3 secs or more and she will think that she has landed and the motors will cut off.

Thanks! I thought you had to bring both left and right down to stop it but that makes it easier!

Jonesy22 said:
Thanks! I thought you had to bring both left and right down to stop it but that makes it easier!

Using both sticks to power her down is referred as the csc (combo stick command). Doing this incorrectly causes the tip over and only should be done in emergencies. If you do like the way i sugested above, you will never damage your props.

TheFaultCraft said:
I always land and I've never had a tipover.

QYV said:
... but I strongly disagree that you're a "better pilot" if you land, those 2 principles are unrelated.
Phantoms are so sensitive to lateral movement when you're landing all it takes is a small gust of wind at the wrong moment as you're about to touch down and PLOP it's going over and you're going to break props.. it's happened to me several times and props aren't cheap so why even risk it?
It is precisely because a small gust of wind can upset the landing that learning to land makes you a better pilot.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic