landing on windy day

Reaction score
stupid mistake to bring it down too close on a windy day :)
IMG_4499.JPG

Ouch! Doesn't do your leg or bird any good. May sound counter intuitive, but IMO hand catching is easier and safer even (or especially) in windy conditions.

Reactions: hutch
ya, they can leave a nasty cut, your lucky really, I usually have someone with me and I get them to grab the drone from the air. If I am alone, I do not try to fly and catch as it's too easy to mess it up.

I understand the problem. If you put prop. guards on your drone, of course that would pretty much eliminate the nasty cuts we see displayed here and in other "threads". But too many in here have "confirmed" that prop guards ruin your drone, causing everything from inability to handle in wind, preventing them from going fast or even taking off.. etc....etc.

Look..lets be honest...to some folks..."looking cool & macho" is far more important than concerns about safety.

Reactions: tomtomtomtom
Look..lets be honest...to some folks..."looking cool & macho" is far more important than concerns about safety.
Flying without lumbering your Phantom with a set of sails has nothing to do with looking cool.
It is 100% to do with ensuring your Phantom can fly the mission and come back and on windy days this is even more important.

I know the feeling carbon fiber props ouch. Hand caught many times but this time it bit me. Got a bit relaxed and not careful like I usually am. Let's just say auto land from here on out, unless I have to.
4ce1b028c5b7e687288ff2b6e0e9eb60.jpg

Reactions: tomtomtomtom
An operator controlled landing is easily learned. Why not learn how to?

In 3+ yrs I have never used auto-land and hand caught about 2-3 times.

Just in case I needed to.

I got a couple of those on my arm that are just finally healed up. Battle scars, my friend.
. . . . . . . . . . . .
"Battle scars"....eh...?

Reminds me of the "saber scars" on their faces that were considered the ultimate statement of "macho" by Prussian officers prior to the changes during the First World War.

If you think it is acceptable to operate drones without prop. guards, you are no friend of mine.

I believe in "managing" risks - I do understand..for some folks, being "macho" has far greater value than being concerned about consequences.

I understand the psychiatric explanation, but I disagree. Completely.

. . . . . . . . . . . .

If you think it is acceptable to operate drones without prop. guards, you are no friend of mine.

That settles it... Thank you!

An operator controlled landing is easily learned. Why not learn how to?

In 3+ yrs I have never used auto-land and hand caught about 2-3 times.

Just in case I needed to.
I can land it, if I want to....auto land is easier....except when the wind is gusting.

I believe in "managing" risks - I do understand..for some folks, being "macho" has far greater value than being concerned about consequences.
I believe that you don't understand the risk.
You exaggerate the risk way out of proportion and completely fix on it to the exclusion of anything else.
And as it's been explained many times it has nothing to do with being macho.
But believing that nonsense helps you to continue in your fact-free bubble.

Reactions: elhefe4
I have guards on my props and enjoy taking videos of weather coming in. These things combined do not make for a relaxing flight but I have a pants load of lightning pics and vids along with zero scars on the bird or myself. I absolutely prefer hand catching at 7' when there is wind that could foul a conventional landing. I agree that the prop guards are not good for the flying characteristics of a drone, They just make me feel more confident when the bird is close to me.

Tobby

Reactions: JohnWebb332
I know the feeling carbon fiber props ouch. Hand caught many times but this time it bit me. Got a bit relaxed and not careful like I usually am. Let's just say auto land from here on out, unless I have to.
4ce1b028c5b7e687288ff2b6e0e9eb60.jpg
hmm yeah that would be the right thing to do

I am pretty new to the quadcopter thing, but so far I have flown maybe 12 times. I have never autolanded, or manually landed my P3A or P4. I always bring it down to about 6 feet, grab the landing gear, pull the left stick down, and the motors stop. Has never been an issue. Have flown in some pretty strong winds. I live in the flatland's of Illinois, where the wind doesn't blow, it sucks!....a lot!

If done correctly, it's not a problem. When the alternative is the possibility of prop bite, it is a handy skill to have..

Tobby

I have to jump in here on this. I just tried the auto land feature yesterday for first time in 8 months of flying. It did not impress me. Personally I really enjoy landing the Phantom 4 manually! It is fun to bring it in either straight down or slipping it in from a side angle. I like to see just how lightly I can touchdown without actually ascending slightly during the process. I don't claim to be skillful at landing or flying manually (FPV) but a super light touchdown is fun to me. I tried catching it once and almost let it chop my arm up some. Manually landing is just more fun! I also like to pick a spot on the ground or the top of our golf cart and point the camera down and use it to land as close to the spot as I can. Not practical I agree but again, it is FUN!!!
Jim
WA5TEF

I hand catch all the time. If you take your time face the camera away from you,keep it up
higher then your head I think its very safe and easy.

I've tried auto-land a few times. Seems cool if you're a novice flier or in a perfect landing spot. Beyond that too much feedback from the sensors can cause it sometimes to elevate again when landing, then try land again, and then sense something that's not really an issue and elevate again. Kind of bouncing it's way down. It's not the softest landing and it's not faster so if you're decent pilot what's the point?

Sure the feature is there but realize what kind of sensors it's relying on and those sensor's limitations.
It's like cruise control on a car. Cool on the open highway, not in tight spaces.

I like hiking my drone in and shooting in nature. The props usually kick up to much filth on the lens to land on the ground. A beach towel is a stupid idea besides taking off. You know how much wind on the ground 4 props spinning a foot above it can kick up? You think a beach towel is going to stay in place? C'mon man.

Hand catching is fine. Yeah, phantoms move a bit in the breeze Captain Obvious. If you know how to position yourself and the AC to hand catch a bit of wind isn't going to suddenly thrust it into your limbs.

You keep bringing up this being tied to machoism again and again when no one else relates the two. Hate to break this to you bud but pretty much nothing about flying drones is macho, especially not landing techniques. You turning the topic into a **** measuring contest says more about your masculinity than anything.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94