Landing gear extensions for Phantom 4 pro.

Reaction score
Hello I am as new as it gets here. Just bought a Phantom 4 pro after owning a phantom 3 for some time now. Just want to give a big hello to all and say I am glad to find this forum and all of you fellow pilots. I have been looking for some kind of extensions for the landing gear to get the camera a little higher off the ground on my new bird. Looked at the ones that stick out pretty far from the front of the drone but I have read reviews that these get in the way of the camera and show up in the videos at times. I found these here---> Landing Skid Gear Protector Shock Damper Extend Tripod For DJI Phantom 4 Drone | eBay . Ha sanybody seen these or tried them. Looks like they wont interfere with the camera at all. Also they are supposed to fit the phantom 4 but say nothing about fitting on the 4 pro. Is the landing gear dementions the same on both the 4 and the 4 pro where these hook on too. For some reason something is telling me they are not. Any response will be greatly appreciated. Again I am very happy to have found this site.

I highly recommend you "hand catch" as opposed to landing after a flight. There are several threads and a great video by mslinger demoing the proper way to do it.

I had one minor mishap powering down my P4 when I landed it after my first flight. I have hand caught it after every flights since. These have a high center of gravity in any event. Raising that without widening the stance of the gear much will make it even more prone to tip IMHO.

Reactions: NewMexicoFlyer
I highly recommend you "hand catch" as opposed to landing after a flight. There are several threads and a great video by mslinger demoing the proper way to do it.

I had one minor mishap powering down my P4 when I landed it after my first flight. I have hand caught it after every flights since. These have a high center of gravity in any event. Raising that without widening the stance of the gear much will make it even more prone to tip IMHO.
Thanks for the quick response. I have been hand catching the pro 3 and now am hand catching the pro4. The reason I really was looking for extensions was to get it higher when I place the bird on the ground for take-off. The camera is quite close to theground. I can see the camera has a possibility of scraping the ground when fireing up. Just a precaution on rough or irregular surface. Havent tried to take off by hand holding yet.

Here's my take-off pad. Camera won't hit anything when it fires up now. A couple of 1 by's and a piece of plywood. Cost $0 LOL
0314171801.jpg

Stay away from anything with foam . When landing, I have seen lots of folks get a little uneven bounce off of that stuff, and flip. Then they make nice sails when aloft. And, nice sails and aloft do not go well with Phantoms.

Hand catch, and get, or make, yourself a launch pad. Mine is a crawfish tray. They might be called a seafood tray if you are not in Louisiana like me. I like them because they are round, so they look like a launch pad. They give a couple of inches lift off of the ground. Even in the beach sand, a full throttle launch keeps sand off of the drone. The trays are also cheap. Which is a good thing, because I have left mine behind more than once :eek:

I printed some shipping labels so it doesn't look like a serving tray. I drilled some holes for S-biners so it attaches to my backpack for hiking or biking
20170205_100016.jpg 20151209_142714.jpg

Reactions: Texacola
I carry a 2 x 3 piece of 5/8 plywood to launch and land. Never any problems. I know that could be problematic if hiking, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Happy flying!

Today was the third time someone has run over my launch pad. Each time was commercial flights at commercial properties.

But I always park way out in the lot where there is nothing around me. My launch pad is within a few feet of my truck. So in a ginormous lot, with nothing around me, someone has to drive right next to my truck and miss seeing a bright yellow disc that is 2 ft across. :mad:

Broke launch pad.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20