LAANC

Reaction score
Believe it or not, I have never had to request airport authorization. I am slightly confused about the LAANC. Is this only available through 3rd party vendors?
I need to fly within the airspace of a military auxiliary landing field. It has limited hours of operation. It is Class D when open, G when closed. I have always flown in this airspace when they were not in operation, so no authorization needed. Does any of this change with the advent of the LAANC?
Thank you and God Bless!
Bill

Believe it or not, I have never had to request airport authorization. I am slightly confused about the LAANC. Is this only available through 3rd party vendors?
I need to fly within the airspace of a military auxiliary landing field. It has limited hours of operation. It is Class D when open, G when closed. I have always flown in this airspace when they were not in operation, so no authorization needed. Does any of this change with the advent of the LAANC?
Thank you and God Bless!
Bill

LAANC just makes it easier (and quicker) to get an approval or denial. It will be interesting to see how well they work the "open hrs/close hrs" into the LAANC system.

If you're wanting to fly in G after LAANC nothing will change. I'm curious to see how they handle the change from D to G airspace in the app.

Reactions: BH1959
I doubt the LAANC would change anything in your case, it will either be automated and just notify the airport, or if it requests permission there will be no one there to respond and I'm sure the system will accommodate.

Took 3 months to get my airspace authorization for 2 Delta's near me....looking forward to LAANC!

One thing I am wondering about at this point - exactly how will we use LAANC? I went to the FAA site and it seems to be that access to and arrangement for waivers will be subcontracted to 'partners' and in further looking - found this website Skyward Is an FAA-Approved LAANC Airspace Vendor as an example of one of so called 'partners'.

As a new Part 107 pilot I too am looking forward to LAANC and as it happens I will be flying farmland for hire next month between ORF and OLU in Nebraska - both A/P's in the 'Green' for LAANC at this point.

What's unclear to me is when will LAANC be enabled for use and [more importantly] will it be a free service or has the FAA just created a new revenue stream for middleman outfits?

Part of me says I'm OK with paying middlemen a [emphasis] small fee for rapid waivers presuming they are [emphasis] rapid and legally solid, but I also worry that these outfits will start to lard up the process with fees, subscriptions, etc., when all I want to do is fly over a piece of land and provide the owner a video of his crops so he can make some decisions.

Thoughts?

the apps I use now that offer it are free. They could become paid I guess, but I would assume they will stay free.

Airmap is an example

Thanks to above. Perhaps it was the cynical side of me anticipating that few things in life are truly free and when third parties get involved with a government process money is usually involved (witness $150 to take the 107 test). After all, these people are in business to make money. As I said - if the process works in a timely (i.e. rapid) and reliable fashion - then it is a [hopefully] few bucks well spent. I will definitely give Airmap a look.

Pilots have always paid to take tests, I had to pay to take my Private Pilot text. This isn't gouging, is stepping up to dealing with the FAA.

We keep hearing that many FAA services will become fee based, especially if they privatize (flight following for instance). Many airports already charge "landing fees", so I'm sure it's inevitable. However, if you are flying for business, they theoretically you are making money....theoretically.....

.... (witness $150 to take the 107 test)

We've always paid to take the Aeronautical tests or at least we have for the last 20 years since I started flying manned aircraft.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
I got my Private SEL in 1971 - no fees then except the flight time for the flight examiner ($36 - I still have the receipt!). Times have changed. Rusty bird getting back into aviation now that I'm retired so please forgive the naiveté. I reiterate - glad to pay a reasonable fee for a service well and properly rendered.

I got my Private SEL in 1971 - no fees then except the flight time for the flight examiner ($36 - I still have the receipt!). Times have changed. Rusty bird getting back into aviation now that I'm retired so please forgive the naiveté. I reiterate - glad to pay a reasonable fee for a service well and properly rendered.

Very well said sir :)

Welcome back to the air :)

I confess to being a reasonably intelligent person at least some of the time. With that said, I submitted my request via airmap and have not been notify of even the request being sent. Is this normal or have I slipped into the senior citizen mode? My shoot schedule is not necessarily time sensitive. I contacted the ATC to find out when they will be closed next. Again, this is a military installation with flexible hours. This week they had the addition of jump jets (AV-8B Harrier) using their facility outside of normal hours. Thank you for all of the responses. God Bless! Bill

I confess to being a reasonably intelligent person at least some of the time. With that said, I submitted my request via airmap and have not been notify of even the request being sent. Is this normal or have I slipped into the senior citizen mode? My shoot schedule is not necessarily time sensitive. I contacted the ATC to find out when they will be closed next. Again, this is a military installation with flexible hours. This week they had the addition of jump jets (AV-8B Harrier) using their facility outside of normal hours. Thank you for all of the responses. God Bless! Bill

Bill our section of the woods (SouthEast US) has very few airports actually in the LAANC as of yet. Our official roll-out is July 19th of this year I think. Until they add our area it's "Sample Only" unless that specific airport was chosen to be in the initial BETA testing.

I shot some aerials down your way for the Travel Channel a good while back. We ended up at a small place on the water called Ruddy Duck (or something similar) and had an absolute blast for a few days there.

*edited estimated date for Southeast roll-out

Last edited:
Bill our section of the woods (SouthEast US) has very few airports actually in the LAANC as of yet. Our official roll-out is Aug/Sept of this year I think. Until they add our area it's "Sample Only" unless that specific airport was chosen to be in the initial BETA testing.

I shot some aerials down your way for the Travel Channel a good while back. We ended up at a small place on the water called Ruddy Duck (or something similar) and had an absolute blast for a few days there.

Excellent! I came down here (The Crystal Coast as its called) 35 years ago to work on a feature film and in essence, never left!l I traveled from here then later set-up and ran my own television production company for 20 years. I've "retired" from TV/Film and now, with my wife own and operate a real estate business. One of the 2 airports I deal with is Bogue Auxiliary Landing Field (KNJM). It's now included in the FAA UAS Facility maps.

Excellent! I came down here (The Crystal Coast as its called) 35 years ago to work on a feature film and in essence, never left!l I traveled from here then later set-up and ran my own television production company for 20 years. I've "retired" from TV/Film and now, with my wife own and operate a real estate business. One of the 2 airports I deal with is Bogue Auxiliary Landing Field (KNJM). It's now included in the FAA UAS Facility maps.

Congrats!!!

The Facility Maps cover pretty much all airports but LAANC isn't LIVE for our area yet. It shouldn't be too long now tough.

To my knowledge, we have no airports in NC or SC that are on LAANC yet.

Here's the expected schedule of roll-out for new areas:

The expansion will begin in April, with the FAA releasing a new region each month. Here is the order of when each region will get the LAANC program:

• April 30: South Central USA
  • May 24: Western North USA
  • June 21: Western South USA
  • July 19: Eastern South USA
  • August 16: Eastern North USA
  • September 13: Central North USA

Here's the expected schedule of roll-out for new areas:

The expansion will begin in April, with the FAA releasing a new region each month. Here is the order of when each region will get the LAANC program:

• April 30: South Central USA
  • May 24: Western North USA
  • June 21: Western South USA
  • July 19: Eastern South USA
  • August 16: Eastern North USA
  • September 13: Central North USA
Now it all makes sense. Many thanks for you input.
God Bless!
Bill

Reactions: BigAl07

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures