DJI is working to add LAANC support

msinger

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
Website
phantomhelp.com
DJI posted this news article today where they recommended using Kittyhawk to obtain LAANC authorization when flying in controlled airspace within the US:

DJI Welcomes Easy, Fast Access To Controlled U.S. Airspace For Recreational Drone Pilots

At the bottom of the article, they mentioned the following:

"The FAA approved DJI as a LAANC UAS Service Supplier last year, which will in the future allow DJI professional and recreational customers to use DJI solutions to seamlessly apply for LAANC approvals when planning flights. Further details on LAANC services currently under development by DJI will be announced in due course."

I'm sure other people figured this was coming since DJI is an approved LAANC UAS service supplier. However, this is the first I've seen DJI mention they are working on this integration.

Reactions: AndrewCCM
DJI posted this news article today where they recommended using Kittyhawk to obtain LAANC authorization when flying in controlled airspace within the US:

DJI Welcomes Easy, Fast Access To Controlled U.S. Airspace For Recreational Drone Pilots

At the bottom of the article, they mentioned the following:

"The FAA approved DJI as a LAANC UAS Service Supplier last year, which will in the future allow DJI professional and recreational customers to use DJI solutions to seamlessly apply for LAANC approvals when planning flights. Further details on LAANC services currently under development by DJI will be announced in due course."

I'm sure other people figured this was coming since DJI is an approved LAANC UAS service supplier. However, this is the first I've seen DJI mention they are working on this integration.
Does this mean that dji's dreaded geo-fence might lessen a bit?

I doubt DJI will prevent you from flying if you have FAA authorization. As of today, their GEO fence is the best thing available since their system cannot tell if you have FAA authorization.

Reactions: FlyingGary
I doubt DJI will prevent you from flying if you have FAA authorization. As of today, their GEO fence is the best thing available since their system cannot tell if you have FAA authorization.
So does that mean that's now DJI go will soon know whether you have LAANC authorization or not? hopefully meaning that we will be able to fly in places that were previously geo-fence to, because DJI go app knows that we are flying legally with authorization.

Well, they didn't reveal too much. To me, it looks like DJI is saying they are going to soon allow people to request FAA authorization via LAANC through their software (like Airmap does today).

Well, they didn't reveal too much. To me, it looks like DJI is saying they are going to soon allow people to request FAA authorization via LAANC through their software (like Airmap does today).
Great! Today Kitty hawk caught the feature for recreational pilot's to use Lance. But it will be nice when DJI has it to make things easier.

I’ve had it let me unlock the geofence in restricted airspace but I’m not sure of the mechanism. I did have authorization from FAA but I don’t know how DJI Go 4 would have known that.

I did have authorization from FAA but I don’t know how DJI Go 4 would have known that.
That makes sense. DJI GO wouldn't know since it's not connected to LAANC.

FWIW, you quoted me on a response to this post above. I wasn't suggesting that DJI GO is able to communicate with LAANC today.

Hopefully when implemented it will also unlock the geo zone where the authorization from the FAA is at. While I was in Alaska there was a site I wanted to fly, I checked the sectional chart and also got a LAANC approval but the motors would not start because I was at the end of a geofenced runway area. I could have got an unlock code but didn’t have internet where my laptop was at, at least not in time to do the shot.
Very annoying. With any luck, once you have the approval through the FAA the unlock will happen automatically. Otherwise the whole thing would be kind of useless.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic