LAANC Problem that I need help with Please.

Reaction score
Yesterday I had a bog shoot for a client and I ran into a problem. Here's what happened. My house that I need to video was just outside the grid but less than 1.5 miles that it needs to be away from the edge of the grid. The shelf is in class C under the outer shelf of 2200 so I still would be ok to fly since I only fly 200Ft. The problem that I had was my App was giving me an error of.. DJI Phantom standard 3 safety notification your aircraft has entered an enhance warning zone.... My under standing is once I got the go ahead to fly from Airmap everything should be ok. Upon further YouTube videos I was to go to the DJI web site 24hours ahead of time and ask permission to unlock my drone by entering a phone number or input a credit card. What's the sense of the LAANC app if I have to do this every time with my flying. I will have another job also in classified space in the coming days can someone tell me if all this is true or should I have done this in a different matter. Any videos for help on this matter and tips.

Reactions: R Martin
Yesterday I had a bog shoot for a client and I ran into a problem. Here's what happened. My house that I need to video was just outside the grid but less than 1.5 miles that it needs to be away from the edge of the grid. The shelf is in class C under the outer shelf of 2200 so I still would be ok to fly since I only fly 200Ft. The problem that I had was my App was giving me an error of.. DJI Phantom standard 3 safety notification your aircraft has entered an enhance warning zone.... My under standing is once I got the go ahead to fly from Airmap everything should be ok. Upon further YouTube videos I was to go to the DJI web site 24hours ahead of time and ask permission to unlock my drone by entering a phone number or input a credit card. What's the sense of the LAANC app if I have to do this every time with my flying. I will have another job also in classified space in the coming days can someone tell me if all this is true or should I have done this in a different matter. Any videos for help on this matter and tips.

DJI has their own geofencing that can lock out your flight wether you have AirMap or Kittyhawk laanc approval or not. You have to check the DJI site map for any warning or authorization zones before your job as you may need their approval to prevent a flight lockout.

DJI has their own geofencing that can lock out your flight wether you have AirMap or Kittyhawk laanc approval or not. You have to check the DJI site map for any warning or authorization zones before your job as you may need their approval to prevent a flight lockout.
Yep...ridiculous isn't it? DJI has the ultimate say. Being that it's all lat/long you would think DJI and FAA would be lock step

Reactions: Heaven's Sky
Thank you all that’s what I thought appreciate the feedback. Would any of you instructions or recommend a YouTube video to unlock the Geo fencing

DJI is doing legit drone pilots a great service by keeping drone pilots without and education out of airspace where they could cause some real damage and screw all of us 'real' pilots with more restrictions. Take a Drone Class, most / all teach you how to use the unlock feature.

It gets worse than that. I live near an “unpaved airport.” Basically there used to be a seaplane our on the lake I live near. Not for numerous years however. But it’s still in the DJI database. But I always just get a warning about it. Until this happened...
Flying home from over that lake. Well off the lake and over land. Approaching my home base. I get a warning. NFZ. Landing.
This isn’t like a low batt land where you can hold the stick up to maintain altitude. Nope. It’s going to squat no matter what. And it does. Into a tree. WTF?
Well, I have the ability to modify the flight params of my bird. And I have. For things like wind warning and RTH speed. But would never dare think of disabling NFZ stuff. (I just don’t want to fly there!). But that episode gave me serious pause. It’s one thing to prevent a take off. But this was a totally different matter.

DJI is doing legit drone pilots a great service by keeping drone pilots without and education out of airspace where they could cause some real damage and screw all of us 'real' pilots with more restrictions. Take a Drone Class, most / all teach you how to use the unlock feature.

I took a drone class two years ago. They didn’t show how to unlock at that time. I too used AirMap and was not able to figure it out during my intended flight time. Fortunately it was going to be a test on my own roof so no $ at stake.

DJI's geofencing is about corporate CYA. It has nothing to do with LAANC and the FAA. DJI's geofencing and warning areas sometimes are not in alignment with FAA TFRs, etc, or in some cases are just completely wrong. Unfortunately, you need to be checking this kind of thing at a minimum of 24 hours ahead of time and preferably/especially (if you are flying commercially) 48-72 hours ahead of time. The devil is in the details as they say, and proper flight planning needs to be completed for every flight taken.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav