Knock off batteries questions

Reaction score
Hey all has anyone used 3rd party batteries for there drones and if so is it trustworthy or should just stick to the original type of gear

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: iflyhelis
I personally am new but from what I know from other types of devices I recommend the makers gear mainly so you don't void any warranty etc. but past that no idea on the rep of other batteries.

There is nothing worse then taking a chance on a third party battery and having the aircraft fall from the sky. Don't trust them. No matter what, spend the extra money and get original equipment. It's cheaper then buying a new drone due to battery failure. Best Buy has the original batteries but I would never get anything from amazon or eBay. Stick with authorized dealers for your equipment.

When it comes to anything propulsion related (motors, props, batteries, etc.), only use OEM DJI products.

The only thing that annoys me about DJI is their battery prices. $150 for a 4S Lipo with balance board? It's ridiculous. I have been able to get them cheaper with coupons and sales. They get close to $100 from time to time....but even that seems high. They are gouging us with the battery pricing. They create the knock-off market with their outrageous pricing. Once I'm out of warranty I will research to find a good a quality, reliable knock-off battery.

You can currently get them here on Amazon for $124 or here from DJI for $119.

Yes I posted a deal around the beginning of the month where they were $104 at Amazon. They can be had for less than retail as I stated, but even at $119 or even $104 they are overpriced. I got lucky with a NewEgg sale and B&H price match + gift card for my 2 extra batteries.

I really cannot comment on what the price of a battery should be -- as I don't really know. However, I can tell you the price difference between an OEM and knock-off battery is far less than the cost of replacing a drone. That's what's really important to keep in mind here.

You can currently get them here on Amazon for $124 or here from DJI for $119.

Mike, I followed your link & bought them for the $119.00 price. Thank-You Mike for that tip. It was the DJI Store & they where running a sale.

I got 4 sets of props & a battery for $159.00 free shipping, but no idea as to when it would get here.

I didn't care at that time because of the backlog of any shipping company.

I was very surprised I received my order on 12/27/2016 and that was only 4 days after my initial order on the DJI site.

Kudos to DJI + Kudos to msinger for his link to the site.

P.S.

msinger

I have returned the improper props to their origination, with a refund from Amazon.com. Thanks for your help again!

Kurt

Reactions: msinger
The only thing that annoys me about DJI is their battery prices. $150 for a 4S Lipo with balance board? It's ridiculous. I have been able to get them cheaper with coupons and sales. They get close to $100 from time to time....but even that seems high. They are gouging us with the battery pricing. They create the knock-off market with their outrageous pricing. Once I'm out of warranty I will research to find a good a quality, reliable knock-off battery.

Battery prices suck on just about everything. I am a photographer and the batteries my Canon camera uses retail for about $100 or so, and they are smaller than a Phantom battery.

But just as for my P3P, I will spend extra for OEM for my cameras, way too much to loose there...

Battery prices suck on just about everything. I am a photographer and the batteries my Canon camera uses retail for about $100 or so, and they are smaller than a Phantom battery.

But just as for my P3P, I will spend extra for OEM for my cameras, way too much to loose there...

I have a Canon 80D and I do use knock off batteries there. I researched to find highly rated reliable batteries, and they have been great.

I'll probably be the only one to admit using knock off batteries, I can't really tell the difference, but they do make me a bit nervous.. Mainly because of all the negative stuff I've read online. Honestly, when it comes to a battery I'd probably go with DJI. But for me, I was looking to have a ton of batteries, so the price difference was a big deal.
As far as performance, the only thing I've noticed is the fact that the knockoffs don't auto discharge like the original ones.
Other than that, I get the same flight times and charge times as DJI batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Canon 80D and I do use knock off batteries there. I researched to find highly rated reliable batteries, and they have been great.

My primary is a 1D Mark IV, and my backup is a 1D Mark III, I can't afford to have something funky go on with my gear. As for Canon aftermarket batteries I hear both good and bad (and same for DJI ones) ... just my preference to stick with OEM.

I wouldn't touch knock off batteries, lithium ion batteries that aren't "kosher" tend to explode (see exploding Hoverboards) while charging or in use

Last edited:
I'll probably be the only one to admit using knock off batteries, I can't really tell the difference, but they do make me a bit nervous.. Mainly because of all the negative stuff I've read online. Honestly, when it comes to a battery I'd probably go with DJI. But for me, I was looking to have a ton of batteries, so the price difference was a big deal.
As far as performance, the only thing I've noticed is the fact that the knockoffs don't auto discharge like the original ones.
Other than that, I get the same flight times and charge times as DJI batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Around 15 years ago there was a Company that was putting a chip in a battery, so if the equipment didn't see the chip & its serial number, it would not allow it to even turn on.

When I read that info, I was extremely upset! Shortly afterwards, I found out that the federal Trade Commission forced those Companies "To cease & desist" due to it causing a monopoly of their product!

So, what is going on now? Almost sounds like they put the scare into you, to not use a "Knock-Off Battery"

Kurt

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31