Killer drone!

Reaction score
I was flying my P3 all morning and all went as expected. No surprises. Recharged battery for third time and I thought that I would do a roof inspection on the house in the,early afternoon. Blazing hot an intense sun. I put the unit on the driveway. I changed no setting from my morning flights. Then to avoid the hot sun and be able to see the iPad Mini, I went into the garage and was standing within eyeshot about 15 feet away. I took off using DJI Pilot a usual. No touching of control sticks or anything else on the unit.

Then, without warning, P3 attacked! It rared up and headed right for me at an amazing rate of speed! Right at my face! I was able to duck in time but the unit crashed on the garage wall close to the kitchen entryway. Miraculously, P3 avoided any injury despite the wall pounding.

What on earth could have caused P3 to come at me that way?

I'll bet that played havoc with the compass. I lost a PV+ into a reservoir as a result of magnetic interference. You can see the compass is completely pointing in a different direction than the aircraft. Even when it is stationery on the ground the compass was moving around. I used to connect a laptop to screen record, so at least I could analyse what went wrong - and it did.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I was flying my P3 all morning and all went as expected. No surprises. Recharged battery for third time and I thought that I would do a roof inspection on the house in the,early afternoon. Blazing hot an intense sun. I put the unit on the driveway. I changed no setting from my morning flights. Then to avoid the hot sun and be able to see the iPad Mini, I went into the garage and was standing within eyeshot about 15 feet away. I took off using DJI Pilot a usual. No touching of control sticks or anything else on the unit.

Then, without warning, P3 attacked! It rared up and headed right for me at an amazing rate of speed! Right at my face! I was able to duck in time but the unit crashed on the garage wall close to the kitchen entryway. Miraculously, P3 avoided any injury despite the wall pounding.

I would agree-- magnetic interference-- that is usually the culprit for this type of behavior on the part of the drone. Good fortune that the drone missed you!!

Yikes! Maybe a fleet of leased cars on bottom of reservoir. Easy way to terminate a leased car. "It was stolen!"

I would agree-- magnetic interference-- that is usually the culprit for this type of behavior on the part of the drone. Good fortune that the drone missed you!!
That explains a lot. Including the attempts I made to fly off of rear deck of house. Erratic flights until it hit a tree. Then, all went as expected. Straight down,
hitting deck and dislodging camera.

That's where wifey and I keep all of the handcuffs. High metallic content in those, you know.

OK. So the compass is out near metal. He hadn't instructed the bird to move, just take off. Why is the bird moving at a great rate of knots when the compass only provides direction, not position?

I don't get everyone jumping to magnetic issues and compass irregularity. There is absolutely no logic in that train of thought. even if the compass crapped out completely, it wouldn't make a Phantom GO anywhere undirected unless possibly it was in a RTH process. What direction the app tells you the bird is facing has nothing to do with your telling it, through your input, to move forward... forward is ALWAYS forward, regardless of compass. A screwy compass may piss off the brain if it is in some automated flight as the GPS signal is saying it needs to go west, but the faulty compass says its facing north.

As I've said before.. the first thing you run into will likely be yourself!

DId you maybe just happen to land it but left the motors spinning??????? Cause I noticed on the p3 it dont like that and if you don't shut the motors down after landing they will start reveing up and it will take off again all on its own.

That explains a lot. Including the attempts I made to fly off of rear deck of house. Erratic flights until it hit a tree. Then, all went as expected. Straight down,
hitting deck and dislodging camera.

That's where wifey and I keep all of the handcuffs. High metallic content in those, you know.
You bet. All sorts of the usual garage detritus. Compressor, mower, tools, guillotine.
troll.jpg

Why does any of that make him a troll? Sure the P3 behaved oddly - but it's trying to control the Phantom from inside your garage is not something a lot of us have done... it is possible that something weird happened isn't it?

Why does any of that make him a troll? Sure the P3 behaved oddly - but it's trying to control the Phantom from inside your garage is not something a lot of us have done... it is possible that something weird happened isn't it?
Guillotine, handcuffs, hit a tree and camera dislodged.......WAT !
nwbvyoxcq93ntlkez1q4.jpg

Reactions: dirkclod
Yeah I don't know... you might be right... or the guy is just trying to make lite of a situation where he's systematically destroying his P3 :)
Why not meet it light, use a touch of humor and refrain from being a drama queen.
The P3 wasn't destroyed. Not even a prop was nicked. But it was odd that as soon as it took off it headed backwards, quickly, mind you, right at me without any input on the controls.
Another question, why do some feel the need to be a petulant jerk?

Reactions: beaverstretcher

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31