Obstacle Avoidance Warning at an Altitude of 300 Feet?

Reaction score
I have been flying my Phantom 4 for almost a year now, and today I ran into a problem I have never seen before. My phantom and transmitter were fully charged, and had updated my transmitter and drone firmware shortly before takeoff (including an update that referenced restricted flight). I was flying in my back yard (which I have successfully done dozens of times, with no incidents).

I climbed to an altitude of 300 feet, and proceeded away from the liftoff area over a large group of trees at a leisurely pace. At approximately 100 feet away from the liftoff point, the Phantom suddenly stopped, with loud warning beeps coming from the transmitter. There were no warning explanations on my IPAD indicating what was wrong, but the Phantom was absolutely unable to move forward. I could move left, right and backward, but not forward. I flew the Phantom back over the liftoff area and went downrange a few hundred feet and tried moving in the same direction as before - same result - at approximately 100 feet out over the trees, the unit came to an abrupt stop, with audio warning blazing. I was at least 200 feet above the treeline each time.

The Phantom is behaving as though the area I was flying into is now restricted, something I have never encountered in dozens of earlier flights over the same area the past six months.

Is it possible the software update identified that area as restricted (odd, because there is only a housing development in that direction)? Why wouldn't I have received a text warning on my IPAD explaining what was wrong? All I got was an audio warning.

An analysis of the flight log contains a "Tip" that reads: "Obstacle avoided, Revise Flight Route" at each incident point (and several others that I later tried).

Any idea why this is happening?

I have no idea but if you were using DJI GO, I would switch to Litchi and try again and don't fool with DJI software ever! Litchi has flown for me for 11 months without any incident even after reading about all the problems with DJI I love Litchi especially the waypoint missions and think it is a better program by a lot.

Good luck!
Jim
WA5TEF

I flew the Phantom back over the liftoff area and went downrange a few hundred feet and tried moving in the same direction as before - same result - at approximately 100 feet out over the trees, the unit came to an abrupt stop, with audio warning blazing. I was at least 200 feet above the treeline each time.
Is there any chance your Phantom was flying towards a bright, low sun?
That sometimes fools the obstacle avoidance system.

Reactions: Samuraiz
Sun was bright, but I was flying with the sun on the left side of the unit (not toward it).

Not sure I want to go with another flight software system. Litchi has its problems as well.

I have been flying my Phantom 4 for almost a year now, and today I ran into a problem I have never seen before. My phantom and transmitter were fully charged, and had updated my transmitter and drone firmware shortly before takeoff (including an update that referenced restricted flight). I was flying in my back yard (which I have successfully done dozens of times, with no incidents).

I climbed to an altitude of 300 feet, and proceeded away from the liftoff area over a large group of trees at a leisurely pace. At approximately 100 feet away from the liftoff point, the Phantom suddenly stopped, with loud warning beeps coming from the transmitter. There were no warning explanations on my IPAD indicating what was wrong, but the Phantom was absolutely unable to move forward. I could move left, right and backward, but not forward. I flew the Phantom back over the liftoff area and went downrange a few hundred feet and tried moving in the same direction as before - same result - at approximately 100 feet out over the trees, the unit came to an abrupt stop, with audio warning blazing. I was at least 200 feet above the treeline each time.

The Phantom is behaving as though the area I was flying into is now restricted, something I have never encountered in dozens of earlier flights over the same area the past six months.

Is it possible the software update identified that area as restricted (odd, because there is only a housing development in that direction)? Why wouldn't I have received a text warning on my IPAD explaining what was wrong? All I got was an audio warning.

An analysis of the flight log contains a "Tip" that reads: "Obstacle avoided, Revise Flight Route" at each incident point (and several others that I later tried).

Any idea why this is happening?
Only does that with me when i show someone it not able to go foward if obstical in the way,,below 40ft i fly with on otherwise it off,try flight with it turned off and see if reacts the same,,i fly litchi too,,nice app,

Reactions: tevek
As mentioned above, turn OA off and try again. I only turn mine on when flying amongst the trees and at your flying height it probably won't be of any use anyway. You'll get the added bonus of additional flight speed.

Sun was bright, but I was flying with the sun on the left side of the unit (not toward it).

Not sure I want to go with another flight software system. Litchi has its problems as well.
No I disagree! I have been using it since November with NO problems at all! It is great and feature packed,. But don't blame you if you are stuck on DJI stuff. Fly what you are comfortable with but if you get tired of the firmware screwups then try Litchie.
Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

Litchi all the way. The only thing I'd love to see added to Litchi is the VPS alt. readout. On OA, I've read many others don't turn it on as it in itself causes major problems. VPS does as well in certain terrains, but on average I like seeing the true alt. at times.

Litchi all the way. The only thing I'd love to see added to Litchi is the VPS alt. readout. On OA, I've read many others don't turn it on as it in itself causes major problems. VPS does as well in certain terrains, but on average I like seeing the true alt. at times.
Grammatonx, what is VPS in Litchi? I have never heard of it.
Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

Grammatonx, what is VPS in Litchi? I have never heard of it.
Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF
VPS= Visual Positioning Sensors. Sonar sensors and camera sense the ground beneath the Phantom. Only in DJI go app is there a screen readout stating the drone's true altitude when it is 10ft or less above the ground. Litchi does not have this readout on the screen. From what I gather it is a setting retained onboard the craft. even if Litchi is used, the sensors are still working, but you don't see the alt. readout as you would using DJI go. I've thought about writing the Litchi team to request this, but just havn't got to it yet. A couple of Litchi revision levels ago the system had control (Enable/Disable) buttons, but it has been removed.

VPS= Visual Positioning Sensors. Sonar sensors and camera sense the ground beneath the Phantom. Only in DJI go app is there a screen readout stating the drone's true altitude when it is 10ft or less above the ground. Litchi does not have this readout on the screen. From what I gather it is a setting retained onboard the craft. even if Litchi is used, the sensors are still working, but you don't see the alt. readout as you would using DJI go. I've thought about writing the Litchi team to request this, but just havn't got to it yet. A couple of Litchi revision levels ago the system had control (Enable/Disable) buttons, but it has been removed.
Good deal! I remember it now but didn't associate it with the VPS letters. Yes, that would be a good addon to have running. My P4 sometimes even shows a negative altitude when it is 10 to 15 feet high. Very unnerving when flying a waypoint mission with some waypoints at a very low altitude!

Thanks for the info.
Jim
WA5TEF

I have no idea but if you were using DJI GO, I would switch to Litchi and try again and don't fool with DJI software ever!
Since the Obstacle Avoidance sensors that would have triggered the warning are hardware built-in to the Phantom, using Litchi wouldn't have made any difference.
DJI Go is a great program and users shouldn't think they need to avoid using it.

Since the Obstacle Avoidance sensors that would have triggered the warning are hardware built-in to the Phantom, using Litchi wouldn't have made any difference.
DJI Go is a great program and users shouldn't think they need to avoid using it.
Well, GJI GO may have been "great" at some time in the past but from what is posted now, the updates have made it unreliable! There are many reports of "bricked drones" caused by this intrusive firmware updates. I dropped it in November when I tried my first update and got the error that my iPad that I had been using was not compatible with it! I downloaded Litchi and have never looked back. It has been running flawless for me for 11 months and I have not "had" to do any firmware updates of any kind thus my Phantom 4 is still flying perfectly, enjoying all the great features of Litchi while others are grounded.
Best $24.00 I have spent on drones.
Thanks for the comments anyway.
Jim
WA5TEF

I only use DJI GO 4 for IMU calibrations and possibly firmware updates. I have been using Litchi almost exclusively for 11 months Absolutely no problems. I really cannot say the same about DJI GO 4 The people who have reported problems, have had problems using way point mission without fully understanding how the software works or how high that tree or building the tree was, or that Litchi will complete the mission even if signal is lost.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4