Just purchased a P3S

Reaction score
Hello -

I just purchased a new P3S over the weekend for $379 from Target. I'm fairly sure it was a decent deal considering it was $499 not that long ago.

I really like it, but after using my P3S I can really see how the the P3A would be little better. I thought about returning it for a P3A but I can't seem to find it for sale anywhere online - I guess the P3 series is being discontinued? I saw one on Amazon for $799 but it said only one left in stock and i'm having a hard time justifying the additional $420 over my P3S (just me?).

This is my very first drone and I admit the $379 price tag was pretty attractive. Is it true the P3 line is being discontinued and other then the spark, my only options are the very expensive P4 or Mavic?

Also, is there any concern buying a drone that is no longer for sale? Will DJI still support it with updates?

I have both. Buy some cheap wind surfer range extenders off the internet for less than 15 dollars. It might improve your range greatly.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Is it true the P3 line is being discontinued
Most models of the P3 line have been discontinued. DJI currently only sells the P3S and P3SE.

I thought about returning it for a P3A but I can't seem to find it for sale anywhere online
DJI only sells refurbished P3As. You can find them in the DJI Store here.

is there any concern buying a drone that is no longer for sale?
No. The P3 line is very popular. Parts/accessories will likely be available for a long time.

Will DJI still support it with updates?
Yes, but you should expect mostly maintenance-type updates (to fix issues). DJI doesn't often go back and add new features to discontinued Phantom models.

I mostly liked how the camera controls were on the remote itself (fumbling with my iphone seemed a little cumbersome) and how the live video feed is a little stronger with the added lightbridge system. 200' high in a field it seemed to be okay, but near my house 50' high and the live video was starting to get choppy / cutting in and out.

msinger - thank you for the detailed response!

I guess I should just stick to my P3S then - the S/SE didn’t seem like it has much more to offer beyond a 4K camera with the same sensor as P3S.

Is there any areas I can read to help me with my camera? Admittedly my other camera is a DSLR but the pictures from my P3S don’t appear to be very vibrant and look a little dull / washed out in color. I tried playing with multiple settings but I’m still not 100% happy with the color quality. I’m hoping it’s just something to get used to using.

Reactions: Squirrel!
Hi guys,
I am looking to buy a new P3S but after reading some stuff I am concerned about range. I want to use it for mapping so i don't care for very long distances but I think i need at least 1km. Are the range mods easy to be done and what about warranty? I live i europe btw.
Do you advise me to get a used P3A instead? I am afraid to buy used because I have zero experience to check it.

Do you advise me to get a used P3A instead?
If you purchase a refurbished P3A from DJI here, it'll come to you in like-new condition and it'll also include the 1-year warranty that comes with new Phantoms. If you purchase a used P3A elsewhere, it'll be tough to know the condition of it and the warranty might already be expired.

msinger - thank you for the detailed response!

I guess I should just stick to my P3S then - the S/SE didn’t seem like it has much more to offer beyond a 4K camera with the same sensor as P3S.

Is there any areas I can read to help me with my camera? Admittedly my other camera is a DSLR but the pictures from my P3S don’t appear to be very vibrant and look a little dull / washed out in color. I tried playing with multiple settings but I’m still not 100% happy with the color quality. I’m hoping it’s just something to get used to using.

Hi, I think the dull/washed out look is the preferred option for potential end users as they can colour grade and mess with levels to their liking.

Are you filming for yourself or for other people?
:)

If you purchase a refurbished P3A from DJI here, it'll come to you in like-new condition and it'll also include the 1-year warranty that comes with new Phantoms. If you purchase a used P3A elsewhere, it'll be tough to know the condition of it and the warranty might already be expired.
Unfortunately buying from DJI is not an option because I cannot get refund the VAT for my company..:(

Perhaps there is an authorized DJI dealer in your area that sells refurbished Phantoms?

The videos arefor myself but I don’t have any paid adobe programs to edit with,so I was trying to get the best video quality I can straight from the card.

So with the refurbished unit - are they typically as good as new ones? Not sure if it’s worth the additional $260 or not.

I took my drone to an open area today and got some decent pictures at 300’ - my highest elevation yet - I was pretty nervous and just had it hover directly above me while I played with the camera some.

I can't compare to a new unit because I only have the one, but mine was a refurb (there was still footage of the previous owners flights on the card) and you wouldn't know it wasn't brand new, absolutley spotless, as if it were just off the shelf. I'm really pleased with the purchase.

Perhaps there is an authorized DJI dealer in your area that sells refurbished Phantoms?

No unfortunatelly..
I didn't get an answer about p3s mods. Are they easy to apply? Is the 1km range easily achievable? If it is I might go for p3s.

No unfortunatelly..
I didn't get an answer about p3s mods. Are they easy to apply? Is the 1km range easily achievable? If it is I might go for p3s.

The P3S can do 1km under ideal conditions; no buildings, trees, or other obstructions. An inexpensive wind surfer will help extend that even more. The Itelite DBS antenna is a bit dicey but not as hard as it looks to install. I've seen P3S go well over 2km without losing signal.

I love my P3S. It takes great pictures and video. I don't need the range or bells and whistles of the more expensive models. And because the technology is pretty much "done" as far as DJI is concerned, they are not pushing out new firmware on a regular basis. There is little to nothing to update.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
The P3S can do 1km under ideal conditions; no buildings, trees, or other obstructions. An inexpensive wind surfer will help extend that even more. The Itelite DBS antenna is a bit dicey but not as hard as it looks to install. I've seen P3S go well over 2km without losing signal.

I love my P3S. It takes great pictures and video. I don't need the range or bells and whistles of the more expensive models. And because the technology is pretty much "done" as far as DJI is concerned, they are not pushing out new firmware on a regular basis. There is little to nothing to update.
I see guys in here claiming with pictures over 12000 feet of range with the standard in country side.

Thanks, so with stock + windsurfer I will be ok for 1km? I read about controller limiting the output if the drone is located in Europe. Do I have to apply this hack (magic power)? I am concerned about warranty. That's the main reason I am looking for new P3S instead of used P3A or Pro.

Thanks, so with stock + windsurfer I will be ok for 1km? I read about controller limiting the output if the drone is located in Europe. Do I have to apply this hack (magic power)? I am concerned about warranty. That's the main reason I am looking for new P3S instead of used P3A or Pro.

The max transmission distance is 500m or .5km. Here is a link to all the specs if you're interested.

Phantom 3 Standard - Specs, FAQ, manual, video tutorials and DJI GO - DJI

I have heard of a hack to get around the limits, however, I don't know if or how that would affect the warranty.

I also seem to recall part of the DJI website it was possible to do side-by-side comparisons of all the specs and features. Ultimately that's what I used to decide upon the Standard. The upgrades were not needed and in the event I totaled it in a year, I wouldn't be out the extra money!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl