Just purchased a P3S

500 meters is about five and a half football fields if I did my math right. That’s a pretty good distance IMO. Besides the pucker factor gets worse the farther you are away. At least it does for me.

I need the drone for mapping and I might need to be over 500m from the site to be surveyed so that's why I am looking for 1km range.

Word on the street was that Target bought DJI's remaining inventory of P3 Standards for a Black Friday blowout. Apparently, that was true. That also likely ties in with DJI's end-of-life announcement earlier this year for the P3 line. A new P3SE or a refurbished P3A or Pro might be worthwhile options.

Reactions: ArJay
Don't know if I just got very lucky or got an exceptional P3S but, for whatever reason, I've managed to get some impressive distance with my P3S during the past year. Typically, 1500 - 2500' in the suburbs, and 4000 - 7000' in rural open areas. Best personal distance so far was 9200'+ over a mountain lake before RTH kicked in - all with a factory stock bird and controller. No antenna amps, mods, or windsurfers. And, yes, I've even crashed it a few times, including once in a lake. For what I paid for it new, I've got no complaints whatsoever.

Last edited:
Hi guys,
I am looking to buy a new P3S but after reading some stuff I am concerned about range. I want to use it for mapping so i don't care for very long distances but I think i need at least 1km. Are the range mods easy to be done and what about warranty? I live i europe btw.
Do you advise me to get a used P3A instead? I am afraid to buy used because I have zero experience to check it.
Depends. P3S uses wifi, if you live in an area where everybody has wifi in their homes then your range will be limited. I do live in an area where there is tons of wifi and my P3A gets almost 2 miles.

msinger - thank you for the detailed response!

I guess I should just stick to my P3S then - the S/SE didn’t seem like it has much more to offer beyond a 4K camera with the same sensor as P3S.

Is there any areas I can read to help me with my camera? Admittedly my other camera is a DSLR but the pictures from my P3S don’t appear to be very vibrant and look a little dull / washed out in color. I tried playing with multiple settings but I’m still not 100% happy with the color quality. I’m hoping it’s just something to get used to using.

P3A has twice the range of the P3S. I bought the 10dB range mod for my controller to extend the range another 1000 feet. My comfort level on not losing the signal skyrocketed. P3S can lose signal suddenly. At least the RTH has been reliable.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31