Just bought a Phantom 4 Pro

Thanks!

The crack does not really bother me though, and I am very satisfied with my Phantom. Do you think the chance of getting a lemon when getting a refurb is so high that I would be better of keeping mine?

My P4P has only one defect and it is very small and irrelevant if one know to avoid it.. the focus is off, so infinity is not on the edge of the wheel but two lines inwards.

I would hate to end up with a refurb with smudgy lens or something to that effect..
If the crack isn't serious enough to risk the flight integrity, I would fly it until it's 11mo old, keeping an eye on the crack size, then send it in for replacement. I personally have received 3 brand new craft as replacements for warranty problems that were easily seen or duplicated, I didn't get a refurbished craft. My P4 was 362 days old and I found a crack around the battery compartment. Other craft has show that location to be a common problem. DJI sent me a brand new craft with stickers, pristine as new. Maybe with P4P they have changed that practice, I'm not sure. I have heard others getting refurbs as warranty replacements, and they aren't 100% functional, in which case you ask them for a prepaid shipping label to take it back, providing them a list of the problems. I think it helps if your correspondence sounds like you're a fan boy, loving DJI, etc. That's what I do.

P4 and P4P are very similar in shell shape and material. My P4 cracked in the lower right corner of the battery hole, as well as others had similar failures. Mine was 362 days old, barely in warranty, but DJI gave me a new drone. It's been fine ever since, however I've only put about 20 flights on the new replacement P4 when I bought my P4P which is what I fly 95% of the time now.

Did you buy the DJI refresh warranty or just send it in under the one year mark?

Did you buy the DJI refresh warranty or just send it in under the one year mark?
I didn't have refresh. It was pure warranty repair (they replaced the craft).

Funny thing about refresh, I have a refresh policy on my Mavic. It developed a gimbal problem suddenly one day out of the blue, no crash, no mishandling, it just wouldn't complete the startup routine, claiming gimbal obstruction, and the lock was removed. The gimbal moved freely when power is off, it felt fine. Anyway, I sent it in for warranty repair and DJI wanted me to pay a refresh payment to get it fixed! I asked them for justification why this isn't covered under warranty, and they couldn't. They covered it under warranty.

I think DJI repair employees are trained to try and charge everyone a fee if they have a refresh policy, whether it's pilot error or not! That's the last refresh I'm buying, because not only that abuse of inappropriate attempt at charging, but when I sell the craft the refresh policy is void, it doesn't go to the next owner. But with the 1yr warranty, when I sell the craft it does go to new owners, as long as they have a receipt. So why isn't a refresh policy good with a new owner (with a receipt) since the warranty is good with new owners? I'm not investing in refresh anymore, but I do think it's a good thing for newbies until they get competent.

Reactions: Twilightdrone
I didn't have refresh. It was pure warranty repair (they replaced the craft).

Funny thing about refresh, I have a refresh policy on my Mavic. It developed a gimbal problem suddenly one day out of the blue, no crash, no mishandling, it just wouldn't complete the startup routine, claiming gimbal obstruction, and the lock was removed. The gimbal moved freely when power is off, it felt fine. Anyway, I sent it in for warranty repair and DJI wanted me to pay a refresh payment to get it fixed! I asked them for justification why this isn't covered under warranty, and they couldn't. They covered it under warranty.

I think DJI repair employees are trained to try and charge everyone a fee if they have a refresh policy, whether it's pilot error or not! That's the last refresh I'm buying, because not only that abuse of inappropriate attempt at charging, but when I sell the craft the refresh policy is void, it doesn't go to the next owner. But with the 1yr warranty, when I sell the craft it does go to new owners, as long as they have a receipt. So why isn't a refresh policy good with a new owner (with a receipt) since the warranty is good with new owners? I'm not investing in refresh anymore, but I do think it's a good thing for newbies until they get competent.
Interesting. Thanks for your insite. I've had a minor crash which causes a bit of shake and have the Refresh insurance. I bought it (P3 4K) at Christmas so am going to send it back soon. I sure hope I get a new one after paying for their insurance and not a refurb. That would suck.

If the crack isn't serious enough to risk the flight integrity, I would fly it until it's 11mo old, keeping an eye on the crack size, then send it in for replacement. I personally have received 3 brand new craft as replacements for warranty problems that were easily seen or duplicated, I didn't get a refurbished craft. My P4 was 362 days old and I found a crack around the battery compartment. Other craft has show that location to be a common problem. DJI sent me a brand new craft with stickers, pristine as new. Maybe with P4P they have changed that practice, I'm not sure. I have heard others getting refurbs as warranty replacements, and they aren't 100% functional, in which case you ask them for a prepaid shipping label to take it back, providing them a list of the problems. I think it helps if your correspondence sounds like you're a fan boy, loving DJI, etc. That's what I do.
It is exactly this I plan on doing. I purchased mine in December and the year is almost up.

Then again, if I receive a crashed Phantom with new shell, I may aswell keep my little crack which is not a problem. Who knows what crap these refurbs have.. or am I wrong?

I would buy a refurbed iPad, or computer, but a Phantom has so many delicate and often mechanical moving parts. It can have all sorts of problems.

I'm just going to repair it myself when it's no longer safe to fly.

Funnily enough, last week I was with a group of friends and one of them with a P4P was lamenting the same sort of issue with his. No cracks anywhere else - just the landing gear. Out of curiosity, MSinger, how would you repair this?

Out of curiosity, MSinger, how would you repair this?
I would replace the landing gear. If covered under warranty, another option would be to send the Phantom to DJI and let them repair/replace it.

I have read where others seem to believe that landings, especially auto-landings, are responsible for landing gear cracks. Bouncing on landing was sighted as the cause. Some claim that by switching to hand catch, no more cracks.

I have a refurbished P3 S and it flies perfect. I have zero regrets in purchasing it. On the other hand if I sent them a new drone for warranty work and they sent me a refurbished drone I would not be happy.

Preaching to the choir as I'm 100% satisfied with mine. Now I don't know how I would feel if I took my perfectly running corvette in for warranty for a minor fiberglass issue and replaced my car with a different used one.

I don't know how I would feel if I took my perfectly running corvette in for warranty for a minor fiberglass issue and replaced my car with a different used one.
Good point! There's an emotional attachment that grows with your car. Some will think I'm a bit silly, but I've grown emotionally attached to my P3P. It's up for sale (because I have a P4, P4P and Mavic) but I'm hesitant to sell it because we've flown so many places around the country. I know that's ridiculous, but I have to admit I'm sad to sell my original P3P craft, it flies so well. Unfortunately it rarely gets flown anymore.

Reactions: Loz and DKG13CC
I've seen where some folks just back off the motor mount screws about half a turn to relieve stress on the plastic. Sometimes they come too tight from the factory, leading to stress cracks. Side note... just bought my P4P, after just two flights had to send it back due to jello on video..... vibrating camera i.e. bad or incorrectly installed gimbal or camera or both. No strong wind and quad was just hovering in place when the anomaly occurred both times. Summary.... it really SUCKS to pay so much for a brand new product (that evidently bypassed "quality" inspection at DJI quality control) then send it back just two weeks after purchase.

Last edited:
But would you rather have cracks in the landing gear or several stitches in your body?
You make it sound like hand catching is dangerous.
I've read many accounts of people cutting themselves up, usually trying to grab a crashed Phantom and shut it down.
I can't remember any hand catch landings going wrong like that.
I haven't landed a Phantom for two years and I think hand catching is quite safe.

Reactions: ChipperRay and Loz
I've seen where some folks just back off the motor mount screws about half a turn to relieve stress on the plastic. Sometimes they come too tight from the factory, leading to stress cracks. Side note... just bought my P4P, after just two flights had to send it back due to jello on video..... vibrating camera i.e. bad or incorrectly installed gimbal or camera or both. No strong wind and quad was just hovering in place when the anomaly occurred both times. Summary.... it really SUCKS to pay so much for a brand new product that evidently bypassed "quality", quality control at DJI then send it back just two weeks after purchase.
You're not alone. My P4P had the same problem, but mine vibrated when the craft was tilted about 25 degrees to the left, something that could have been detected if DJI had outgoing test and inspection, as I could reproduce the problem with motors off in my bedroom. Apparently it's not cost effective to test craft before shipping compared to taking back thousands of craft for repair or replacement later. Hard to believe they operate like that and still make money. Batteries aren't even tested, hundreds of those have been reported DOA, only to be replaced under warranty.

I love DJI technology but it's an adventure and often a time sump finding a good craft sometimes.

Reactions: Tarkington Studios
What makes you say a refurb is practically brand new?

The components and motors may have flown for hundreds of miles. But it gets a new shell. I don't call that new.

What parts are changed when a Phantom gets refurbed?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164