Joystick?

Nawwwww for less then $500.00 ! " i do not care for it "... i have been using a two stick RC controller since 1980s..way way to HIGH priced for me too ! it might be the bomb for the $20,000 plus drones tho.

So Sorry for the mistype of the joysticks price earlier !

Last edited:
Reactions: Dragonfly Joe
Screen Shot 2018-11-05 at 11.44.29 AM.png

Nope.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Nawwwww for $2000.00 ! " i do not care for it "... i have been using a two stick RC controller since 19080s..way way to HIGH priced for me too ! it might be the bomb for the $20,000 plus drones tho.

Huh? On the actual Kick-starter it states expected retail is $449 and you can get one during the Kick-Starter for as low as $225.

I've flown a JoyStick configuration before and it felt AMAZING and very intuitive from the first moment. I'm seriously considering this one . . . .

Put me down for nope as well!
That just looks cumbersome.
Well I am so accustom to what I learned on I would have problems with it myself the way I run and gun flying different spots which I use a pad not a phone to fly with . Plus you still have to have your current TX so just more to add to my kit . Now if I was techie and flew from a like table set up
I might like it and have been following it from when they first started but this is the first I have seen
on what it looked like so for me it just wouldn't work out . Does look cool and might be what this hobby will be in the future but won't be for me .
Some ole dogs can't learn new tricks or just don't want to .:)

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Well I am so accustom to what I learned on I would have problems with it myself the way I run and gun flying different spots which I use a pad not a phone to fly with . Plus you still have to have your current TX so just more to add to my kit . Now if I was techie and flew from a like table set up
I might like it and have been following it from when they first started but this is the first I have seen
on what it looked like so for me it just wouldn't work out . Does look cool and might be what this hobby will be in the future but won't be for me .
Some ole dogs can't learn new tricks or just don't want to .:)

Yeah if it was a stand alone system that didn't piggyback off of the DJI RC I would be a bit more interested. But having one more thing that I have to charge, carry, do firmware updates,..etc..doesn't do much for me.

Wow. That looks weird. Holding the joystick in one hand, while supporting in on the other. No fixed base (which is the real advantage for a joystick). Unless I'm missing something, you still need two hands. Maybe on a tripod or something. I do like flying that way - with the RC supported by something firm - but it doesn't work in a lot of situations.

Reactions: BigAl07
I'm VERY disappointed in this product after researching it more. The initial images do NOT depict the actual DJI Tx in any way shape form or function. I feel like they are intentionally down playing the fact that the Joystick has to be tethered to the DJI transmitter.

Check out the images below:
71427c24245d54b9e72d60d85c3e5aa5_original.png

18446a53700fc399facaf97efbb960fe_original.png

Well... anyone who's ever played computer games with a joystick will know you just CANNOT use a joystick unless its firmly planted onto a table. Otherwise it keeps on wobbling, and every time you move the stick one way you need to apply opposite pressure the base to keep it all steady. I'm not sure what the target audience may be for this... perhaps people who've never used an RC remote and don't want to spend the 5 minutes it takes to learn? Oh, also, its advertised as single handed... not sure how that's the case when you need to hold onto the base.

Hmm... sorry for all the negativity! Just can't see it being useful (in my mind at least)

Reactions: LARA images
Put me down for nope as well!
That just looks cumbersome.

Our FT Aviator substantially reduces pilot workload by putting the primary flight controls in one hand. We can teach ourselves to become reasonably proficient with a two-thumbed gaming controller - they've been around since the 1930s according to our research - but it requires a lot more iteration, because you sometimes under- or overshoot your input, or make an accidental input in another degree of freedom (you get a bit of yaw as you move up, for example). Our controller gives tactile feedback not just when you're inputting a command, but you also have a sense when you're not, which can be every bit as important. The amazing thing about the FT Aviator is putting it in the hands of a first-time drone pilot, and then watching them do a perfect Figure 8 or inward-facing, ascending spiral within 5 minutes of a brief introduction. There are many other cool features incorporated into our controller to provide situational awareness cues, improve safety and substantially improve upon the camera control features of a typical radio. Please check out our campaign at: FT Aviator: A Revolutionary Single-Handed Drone Controller

Wow. That looks weird. Holding the joystick in one hand, while supporting in on the other. No fixed base (which is the real advantage for a joystick). Unless I'm missing something, you still need two hands. Maybe on a tripod or something. I do like flying that way - with the RC supported by something firm - but it doesn't work in a lot of situations.

It certainly can be mounted on a tripod, if desired. The secret advantage of the FT Aviator is the ability to command all four flight degrees of freedom of motion in a single hand, freeing up the non-dominant hand for camera management. Flight becomes almost subconscious, allowing you to really focus on what you're out there doing with the drone, as opposed to how you're getting there. We hope you'll get a chance to try it out sometime...

I'm VERY disappointed in this product after researching it more. The initial images do NOT depict the actual DJI Tx in any way shape form or function. I feel like they are intentionally down playing the fact that the Joystick has to be tethered to the DJI transmitter.

Check out the images below:
71427c24245d54b9e72d60d85c3e5aa5_original.png

18446a53700fc399facaf97efbb960fe_original.png
There are several photos and a schematic that show how the FT Aviator works with the DJI ecosystem on our Kickstarter campaign for clarity.

Well... anyone who's ever played computer games with a joystick will know you just CANNOT use a joystick unless its firmly planted onto a table. Otherwise it keeps on wobbling, and every time you move the stick one way you need to apply opposite pressure the base to keep it all steady. I'm not sure what the target audience may be for this... perhaps people who've never used an RC remote and don't want to spend the 5 minutes it takes to learn? Oh, also, its advertised as single handed... not sure how that's the case when you need to hold onto the base.

Hmm... sorry for all the negativity! Just can't see it being useful (in my mind at least)

Hi AerialJava,

The primary flight controls are managed in a single hand, rather than unnaturally split between two. The non-dominant hand comfortably stabilizes the base, and is freed up to more easily manage camera activity. Granted, with practice, pilots can certainly master this method of flight, but there's a reason joysticks exist in high performance aircraft and many other precision control applications.

We've taken a joystick approach a couple of generations past with our ability to integrate the Z axis into the stick, along with tactile feedback and a dynamic balance system that makes flying almost subconscious, not to mention incredibly simple and fun. We hope you get to try the FT Aviator out sometime...

Onward and upward,
Scott

I agree, considering that they placed the gimbal tilt on the base. So even if you glued it to a table, you'd still have to reach over with your other hand to change camera angle. ::sigh::

I'm gonna buy it, hoping it'll give me huge biceps. ;)

A likely beautifully engineered solution to a problem to didn’t exist.

Mode 2 with your cyclic on one stick and rudder and the throttle on the other is probably as intuitive and functional as it’s ever going to get. Provided your hands are big enough to allow access to the gimbal pitch wheel and shutter button I can’t see any advantages.

I can see obvious advantages for amputees and others with some physical challenge. I suspect the appeal to be otherwise limited.

I see and agree with your points.

However I suspect most drone owners are more into the photography than the flying.

As a plank flyer from the 70s... gimme joysticks!!!

Hi,

I have seen those ads and took a further look at their website. Honestly I don't see how that delivers on their promise of making flying easier or less cumbersome. They even advertise it as one-handed flying, which you can see is not the case. You need one hand on the base of the controller and one on the stick.

What makes it seem more cumbersome and bulky to me than just using my DJI remote is that it does not replace the remote. It works with a USB connection to your existing remote. So now I would need to carry my DJI remote, this remote, and the associated cabling. How does that make my job any easier? I could be wrong and there may be a good usage case for it, but I just don't see it. If you look carefully at their videos, they do their absolute best to hide the fact that you need to carry all this gear around with you. Seems disingenuous at best.

Seems like a solution looking for a problem where honestly there is no problem flying with a two-stick remote. Just my 2 cents.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20