Jello worse with GoPro 4 Black

If everything is set up properly and balanced, you can run a Hero 4 with a Lightbridge using stock gains and have no rolling shutter effects at all.

Meanwhile, lower gains results in increased yaw kicks and porpoising. If you're taking photos, not a big deal but if you're trying to nail a shot, that doesn't work. And to my earlier point, lowering gains is simply masking the underlying problem.

ianwood said:
If everything is set up properly and balanced, you can run a Hero 4 with a Lightbridge using stock gains and have no rolling shutter effects at all.

Meanwhile, lower gains results in increased yaw kicks and porpoising. If you're taking photos, not a big deal but if you're trying to nail a shot, that doesn't work. And to my earlier point, lowering gains is simply masking the underlying problem.

OK, I am sure you must be right.

ianwood said:
This is how you get the clearest shot:

• Stabilize the craft. Motors and props must be balanced.
  • Calibrate IMU and compass. Research the best techniques for both.
  • Use the right vibration dampeners. Make sure they are not pinched by the retainers. Research other best practices.
  • Use an ND filter for shooting in sunlight.
  • Make sure the camera and gimbal are perfectly balanced.

This is absolutely true ;)
I Only recommend to don´t use heavy ND filter :!: :!: :!: It is not possible perfect balance it at 3th axis and this is one of causes of jello.
I use special myself doing filters. ND4 for part cloudy/sunny day and ND8 filters for bright sunny day or flying over snow. My filter has weight only 1,1grams and is made from high quality HOYA photographic filters.

Attachments

• 20140921_203647.jpg
    20140921_203647.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 470

Attachments

• 20140921_203746.jpg
    20140921_203746.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 476
texmur said:
I Only recommend to don´t use heavy ND filter :!: :!: :!: It is not possible perfect balance it at 3th axis and this is one of causes of jello.
I use special myself doing filters. ND4 for part cloudy/sunny day and ND8 filters for bright sunny day or flying over snow. My filter has weight only 1,1grams and is made from high quality HOYA photographic filters.

1.1g impressive. Where did you get this from?

ianwood said:
This is how you get the clearest shot:

• Stabilize the craft. Motors and props must be balanced.
  • Calibrate IMU and compass. Research the best techniques for both.
  • Use the right vibration dampeners. Make sure they are not pinched by the retainers. Research other best practices.
  • Use an ND filter for shooting in sunlight.
  • Make sure the camera and gimbal are perfectly balanced.

After too many hours spent fighting jello on two older P2+H3-3D's (some success, but still jello on part of any flight with wind and sun), I had occassion to set up a new rig this weekend for our team, and it came out perfectly. P2, H4-3D, Hero4 Black, SRP filter trio, iOSD, IRC VTx, etc. Before maiden, I did precisely as enumerated in Ian's list. one motor needed slight balancing, and all 8 new DJI props needed some tape, and 4 were hub-heavy on one side. Using best 4 props, 1/8" silver solder as my counter-balance material on gimbal, prop guard string as gimbal keepers, stock gains, white damper balls, this ship is bomber. I flew 6 batteries on maiden yesterday, and maybe 5 seconds of mild jello over those 80+ minutes, with bright midday sun and 5kts wind, and aggressive flying in search of jello. I flew ATTI and Manual mode, with pitch angles well into the teens, and speeds over 30mph. It was so solid with ND4 and also with CP only that I ran naked Hero4 (no filter, no counterbalance) and still no jello.

My conclusions: 1) Hero4 is not inherently jello prone; 2) Ian's list is comprehensive, and worth following; 3) jello tendencies are highly variable from rig to rig (unfortunately for us all); 4) DJI motors and props need balancing, even when new in box; 5) prior crashes on my older P2+H3-3D rigs have likely exacerbated jello tendencies. Regarding gain adjustments, I am unsure what their role is, but have definitely seen less shaking with lower gains.

Good luck out there.
Kelly

On youtube search for "motor balancing vibration app". You will find videos such as this: [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RItntpZZH4g[/youtube]

I open the shell, disconnect control signals to 3 motors, put phone with vibration app on top of flight controller, start recording vibrations, start motor, run full throttle (props off) for a few seconds, idle a few seconds, stop recording, and measure RMS vibration. Move small piece of electrical tape around the motor (five stations corresponding to five arms on motor bell) and measure if vibration gets better or worse at each. Once sweet spot identified, increase and decrease amount of tape that is optimal at that location. Repeat for other three motors. I use Vibration Monitoring app on android, which doesn't give an RMS sample, but I upload each vibration file to laptop and calculate RMS, and look at complete graph recorded from session. Slower than RMS sample app available on IOS, but not changing phones for this chore.

One of these days I will repeat with props on, and Phantom bolted down. To date, I have put statically balanced props on dynamically balanced motors, but have not dynamically balanced the combination.

On a related note, I added 5.4mm lens to this Hero4 / H4-3D / P2 rig today. A tad bit of jello if flying hard and naked, but SRP ND4 filter virtually eliminated that. Stock fisheye lens can run naked and hard with zero jello. If one doesn't mind fisheye.

Kelly

Thanks for all of the replies. I have been using an ND Filter from the start. freeskier989 hit the problem on the head, my gains needed to be adjusted, what a HUGE difference, Thanks freeskier989!

Here is a short, sample, video clip, after adjusting gains. Before changing the gains, there was SEVERE jello in this scene. This was shot from a P2, HD-3D, GoPro 4 Black, 5.4 mm lens and a Snake River ND 4 filter. I shot this a 4K 30 and converted to 1080P. The YouTube quality is not as good as the original.....

I've got some minor vibrations on my P2/Zen H3-3D (White Balls) running the latest FW. 3.14. I've got the Hero 4 Black with a 5.4mm lens. I'm also using a 2 stop ND filter and shooting 4K 24/fps. The Default Gains which I am running seem to be lower than previous FW/SW versions. Anyone adjust the new Default Gains to get a smoother ride? If so, what did you adjust and how much?

Thx..

The 5.4mm lens is the tricky bit. Because of its focal length, it is going to exacerbate any jello. A couple of things will help: 1. Slow the shots down. With the 5.4mm lens, you will have a lot more motion anyway. 2. Take all the steps from earlier in this thread to get the camera perfectly balanced. 3. Unless you need 4K, I would shoot 2.7K at 48fps. The higher frame rate should help.

If all else fails, go to the ND8. Just remember that the ND doesn't fix the vibration that causes jello. It just masks it.

The 5.4mm lens is the tricky bit. Because of its focal length, it is going to exacerbate any jello. A couple of things will help: 1. Slow the shots down. With the 5.4mm lens, you will have a lot more motion anyway. 2. Take all the steps from earlier in this thread to get the camera perfectly balanced. 3. Unless you need 4K, I would shoot 2.7K at 48fps. The higher frame rate should help.

If all else fails, go to the ND8. Just remember that the ND doesn't fix the vibration that causes jello. It just masks it.

Yep, I checked my Props and only 2 needed a bit of Balancing (Dynamically Balanced) Motors are Vibration free. Gimbal is balanced for ND filter being on. Dropped Basic Pitch and Roll Gains from 125 to 120. Dropped ATTI Pitch and Roll Gains from 240 to 220 (Much nicer for filming !) all those helped a bit with the Jello. Been testing specifically without ND and at 4K/24 to work with the worst case scenario and get it as good as i can at those settings. I have a Music video Shoot that I have to shoot 4K/24 so that is why I am working within those Parameters.

Finally threw on the ND 4 (2 stops) and that eliminated the Jello about 99%. Weather got cold and windy so I packed up for the day. Going to try ND 8 when the sun comes out.

Thanks Mr. Wood..

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20