Jello worse with GoPro 4 Black

Reaction score
I recently got the GP 4 Black, hoping to be able get video and still (frame grabs) from one flight, at 4K 30.

With the previous camera, GP 3 Black, I very rarely had any Jello (using an ND filter). With the 4 Black, I have jello on almost every flight. Same filter, same settings, etc. I'm wondering if the additional weight of the 4 Black could be the problem? If it is weight related, should I stiffen the dampeners (I am using the white)?

Anyone else run into this?

Thanks

Reactions: BestCameraDrone
I'm willing to bet that the higher resolution amplifies the jello. I wouldn't say it is worse, but it is more noticeable because 4k is significantly bigger than 1080p.
Would it happen to be colder now, as opposed to when you were flying with the Hero 3? Cold affects the rubber dampeners.

Yeah you're gonna get more jello at 4k. I like 2.7k@50fps which leaves plenty of room to stabilize, and has a fast enough shutter speed for jello. On a windless day 4K might be okay.

Enola Gay said:
or increase the number of frames per second that you capture.

I like what ya did thar...wish I'd have thunk of it. :shock:

yes because at 4k he can only shoot at 30fps, and 50>30!

Genius! :shock:

Hero 4 black has a faster imager which DOES reduce rolling shutter. I would suggest your H4B is not well balanced and you are getting more vibration.

Im no pro with the gopro 4...
Have you had a physical look at the gopro whilst its hovering?
See if it oscilates. Have it hover and then grab the skids and see if the gopro stops oscilating. If you have the above symptoms then try the solid darker dampeners supplied with h33d. If you dont have the dark balls, try setting to default on the gains and change the first 2 settings to 90/90.
Let us know...

ianwood said:
Hero 4 black has a faster imager which DOES reduce rolling shutter. I would suggest your H4B is not well balanced and you are getting more vibration.
+1, and I would add to check the balance of the propellers as well, and try different dampeners.
Found this to read ...
http://www.flitetest.com/articles/vibra ... -and-cures

Use a ND filter. ND4 or ND8 (2 or three stops). Also adjust your gains - I and others have notice horrible vibrations with the GP Hero4 Black on the H3-3D. When i adjusted my gains it greatly reduced the vibrations. See below for an example of the vibrations and the link to the gain settings that fixed it.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXmaeiY8UMg[/youtube]

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2198310

BASIC Pitch: 100%, Roll: 100%, Yaw: 120%, Vertical: 200%.
ATTITUDE Pitch: 220%, Roll: 220%.

freeskier989 said:
Also adjust your gains - I and others have notice horrible vibrations with the GP Hero4 Black on the H3-3D. When i adjusted my gains it greatly reduced the vibrations. See below for an example of the vibrations and the link to the gain settings that fixed it.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXmaeiY8UMg[/youtube]

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2198310

BASIC Pitch: 100%, Roll: 100%, Yaw: 120%, Vertical: 200%.
ATTITUDE Pitch: 220%, Roll: 220%.

Thanks for all of the replies. I have been using an ND Filter from the start. freeskier989 hit the problem on the head, my gains needed to be adjusted, what a HUGE difference, Thanks freeskier989!

Here is a short, sample, video clip, after adjusting gains. Before changing the gains, there was SEVERE jello in this scene. This was shot from a P2, HD-3D, GoPro 4 Black, 5.4 mm lens and a Snake River ND 4 filter. I shot this a 4K 30 and converted to 1080P. The YouTube quality is not as good as the original.....

http://youtu.be/WX_mAH9nJvs

I also had to balance the Hero 4 Black, with coins on the left gimbal arm and for my filters, the rear right (looking from behind) of the camera gimbal plate.

Using gains to fix your shaking problem is like putting a band aid on a broken limb. If your gimbal is shaking, something is wrong in the setup. Reducing gains may compensate for the underlying problem but it'll be at the cost of precise flight control.

ianwood said:
Using gains to fix your shaking problem is like putting a band aid on a broken limb. If your gimbal is shaking, something is wrong in the setup. Reducing gains may compensate for the underlying problem but it'll be at the cost of precise flight control.

If you have a better idea, I'm listening.

I use my Phantom in my photography business, I am more concerned with image quality than precise flight.

This is how you get the clearest shot:

• Stabilize the craft. Motors and props must be balanced.
  • Calibrate IMU and compass. Research the best techniques for both.
  • Use the right vibration dampeners. Make sure they are not pinched by the retainers. Research other best practices.
  • Use an ND filter for shooting in sunlight.
  • Make sure the camera and gimbal are perfectly balanced.

Problem is someone posted on this board about having the same problem with the new H4-3D gimbal. Which tells me its the exact same gimbal just adjusted internally to balance for the Hero4 Black weight. Its something that was not apparant with the 3 and 3+ so something tells me its a byproduct of the weight of the Hero4 not so much the props balance, the vibration dampers, ect.

ianwood said:
This is how you get the clearest shot:

• Stabilize the craft. Motors and props must be balanced.
  • Calibrate IMU and compass. Research the best techniques for both.
  • Use the right vibration dampeners. Make sure they are not pinched by the retainers. Research other best practices.
  • Use an ND filter for shooting in sunlight.
  • Make sure the camera and gimbal are perfectly balanced.

All good points, and I have done all of this before adjusting the gains. The gains that DJI ships a P2 with, I assume, are for a bare P2, since that is how is it ships. To say that those gains will be correct after adding the weight (not to mention additional drag and changes to the center of balance) of a gimbal, gopro, filter, IOSD and FPV transmitter and antenna does not make any sense to me. Of course a lot people tell me that I have very little sense:)

Bottom line is that I am now getting, what I consider, the best possible footage from my rig, with no detriment to flying qualities that I can see.

freeskier989 said:
Problem is someone posted on this board about having the same problem with the new H4-3D gimbal. Which tells me its the exact same gimbal just adjusted internally to balance for the Hero4 Black weight. Its something that was not apparant with the 3 and 3+ so something tells me its a byproduct of the weight of the Hero4 not so much the props balance, the vibration dampers, ect.

+1

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20