Jello when moving forward

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I am a newbie here with a P3s with a half or dozen flights under my belt and am really impressed with the P3 so far. I have been lurking for a while here and have found some great posts so far that have helped me both understand and learn about options and settings when flying. I found my P3 to have a bit of shudder when stationary so ended up tuning the gain settings to 80/80/80/100 which completely changed the steadiness in a hover but I am finding that I get considerable Jello when underway and filming. Have some questions for those who feel inclined to answer:

1.. Is Jello something that should not happen at all or are there circumstances where you will see it.
2.. I normally have been flying to a destination at full speed, as per above, should I slow it down?
3.. I am going to look to balance the props and have watched may video's on this but would an in balanced prop not cause Jello when hovering?

I am working to post provide here shortly so that I can get some input....

Cheers,

Jello is actually a symptom of the method that the P3 camera records video. It's called a rolling shutter which actually scans the frame rather than taking an entire picture at a time. One way to avoid this is to use a slower shutter speed, which should be double your frame rate. So if shooting at 25fps, shutter speed should be 1/50 and so on. The problem with this is that you will overexpose most shots on this setting during daylight hours, so you need to get a set of neutral density filters which will reduce the amount of light hitting the sensor without degrading the colour or quality. Fortunately there are a lot of cheap options on Amazon.

I myself have just ordered a set to combat this, I will share some video when I've tested them.

Reactions: RodPad
Yep that's an artefact of the rolling shutter. Flying slower can help, but it's really about fast shutter speed in this instance, you've got so much light in that shot that the phantom's auto exposure is using a high shutter speed to keep it exposed, so you'll need some ND filters.

Interesting....This may explain why I didn't see a lot of this in earlier flights as it was very overcast. I am interested in the filters you are mentioning and how they would mount to the P3s.

@G-CCAS
Hey guy, good information, I actually understand it.:rolleyes:

If nobody has told you this,
Welcome to the Forum!

Rod

Reactions: G-CCAS
Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the information.

I know literally next to nothing about photography so this is great. Looking forward to honing my craft and getting better results as I learn.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers