I've had the Phantom Vision for 2 days and...

Reaction score
I first want to start off by saying this is the first aircraft I've ever owned. I've had people approach me everywhere I went with it so far and everyone is in awe by it - including myself.

My gripe with the Phantom Vision is this. I'm a photographer. I use a 5D Mark III and have been spoiled by quality. By no means was I ever expecting the quality of a 5D on this camera. This Phantom Vision camera seems to be great for photos. However, if you compare the photos to videos, the photo's look a lot better. I would honestly rather shoot in timer mode with photos than record video.

I love what the first generation could do and I bought the vision based on what I saw people do with the first generation however, I wanted the latest technology and decided to go for the vision. Now that I got the vision I see the flaws in the stability and not being impressed by its video quality. I'm actually thinking about selling the vision and getting the original and modifying it just to use the GoPro and gimbal. I'm hoping an enthusiast can manage to somehow mount a gimbal to the new camera so i don't lose the FPV or put a gimbal on it with a GoPro and find a way to still get FPV without breaking the bank.

I'm kind of at a loss right now. I love the photo quality of the Vision as well as the technology but I'm not happy with the video and stability. It seems no matter if I go for the first or second generation I'm going to have to compromise something, including flight time and battery life of the first generation.

As a newbie to this whole market and hobby, I'm hoping someone can offer me some kind of advice to modify the vision to be as stable and have great video like the gopro and zenmuse while maintaining FPV. If not, is there a better option than to spend 2k on modding the first generation?

Thanks in advance.

To see my vision in flight, goto https://www.facebook.com/jeffsettin

Jeff Lombardo

Jeff, you won't have to spend 2K to get an "original" Phantom that will offer great video. Here's my set-up:

Phantom (now going for about $450 new).
2800 mah batteries (modify battery door, gives much better flight times. $30 each.)
Tarot T-2d gimbal: $175, often described as equivalent to the DJI ZenMuse. Who knows? But, definitely good.
Fatshark Predator fpv, 250 mw: $280

Ok, that's a total of say $1000, more or less. Add a GoPro and away you go.

You can even beat this price down by buying a used Phantom package from one of the many people who are upgrading to larger quads now that they've pushed their Phantom to the limit.

I also think we're going to see a lot of Vision frustration like yours in the weeks ahead.

GearLoose said:
Jeff, you won't have to spend 2K to get an "original" Phantom that will offer great video. Here's my set-up:

Phantom (now going for about $450 new).
2800 mah batteries (modify battery door, gives much better flight times. $30 each.)
Tarot T-2d gimbal: $175, often described as equivalent to the DJI ZenMuse. Who knows? But, definitely good.

Ok, that's a total of say $1000, more or less. Add a GoPro and away you go.

You can even beat this price down by buying a used Phantom package from one of the many people who are upgrading to larger quads now that they've pushed their Phantom to the limit.

I also think we're going to see a lot of Vision frustration like yours in the weeks ahead.

This is helpful to me as well thanks! I have been on the fence between getting the Vision and the Original version and modding it. I've been leaning toward the latter. Thanks again. i too am new and this helps me towards a direction.

James

Khakis1999 said:
Jeff my question for you is this. We all knew from the previews the video wasn't stabilized anywhere near a go pro with zen muse. Why would you buy the vision knowing this? Why didn't you wait
For the plain phantom 2? Just curious.

Good question!!! I knew I would not be happy either because once you've used a HERO3 Black Edition, anything else is just going backwards. LOL!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Everyone knew the video would be unsatisfactory.
slap a $100 brushless gimbal onto an original Phantom and you'll get better video.

DJI will be releasing the Phantom 2 by years end apparently, and that will be the model to get to shoot video with. (if it actually is released)

I can not decide between the phantom vision and the dji 550
Im doing some video but more still photo s..very new to the world of quad copters. I don't mind spending the money but I want to make sure it's worth It.. feel free to let me know what you think

GearLoose said:

Hi GearLoose, can you explain what you mean by the battery door modification (and where can I get the 2800mah batteries) and also where did you get that price for the Fatshark?

Cheers

Alchemist Creations said:
I can not decide between the phantom vision and the dji 550
Im doing some video but more still photo s..very new to the world of quad copters. I don't mind spending the money but I want to make sure it's worth It.. feel free to let me know what you think

If you want simplicity and portability go with the phantom, especially if this is your entry level into the sport. The 550 is a heavy lifter, but is less portable, less cute ( more threatening ) to curious and possibly hostile onlookers, and more money when it goes bye. Get a few months under your belt, a hundred flights, lots of video and photo, different flying conditions, travel and hike a bit with it, see how you manage people that are watching. Then you can make a much more informed decision and either way, you'll still have a great quad and a fun learning curve. There's no harm in delaying the step up. dJI and all the others are fiercely competitive in price and features and the next 12 months will be as amazing as the last.

Are you serious? Never read anything about Vision before buying?

JeffLombardo said:
I first want to start off by saying this is the first aircraft I've ever owned. I've had people approach me everywhere I went with it so far and everyone is in awe by it - including myself.

My gripe with the Phantom Vision is this. I'm a photographer. I use a 5D Mark III and have been spoiled by quality. By no means was I ever expecting the quality of a 5D on this camera. This Phantom Vision camera seems to be great for photos. However, if you compare the photos to videos, the photo's look a lot better. I would honestly rather shoot in timer mode with photos than record video.

I love what the first generation could do and I bought the vision based on what I saw people do with the first generation however, I wanted the latest technology and decided to go for the vision. Now that I got the vision I see the flaws in the stability and not being impressed by its video quality. I'm actually thinking about selling the vision and getting the original and modifying it just to use the GoPro and gimbal. I'm hoping an enthusiast can manage to somehow mount a gimbal to the new camera so i don't lose the FPV or put a gimbal on it with a GoPro and find a way to still get FPV without breaking the bank.

I'm kind of at a loss right now. I love the photo quality of the Vision as well as the technology but I'm not happy with the video and stability. It seems no matter if I go for the first or second generation I'm going to have to compromise something, including flight time and battery life of the first generation.

As a newbie to this whole market and hobby, I'm hoping someone can offer me some kind of advice to modify the vision to be as stable and have great video like the gopro and zenmuse while maintaining FPV. If not, is there a better option than to spend 2k on modding the first generation?

Thanks in advance.

To see my vision in flight, goto https://www.facebook.com/jeffsettin

Jeff Lombardo

I bought the Fatshark from Pacific Coast Hobbies in California, via their ebay outlet. I don't have a direct link but you can Google them and give a phone call.

The batteries are from Hobby King, US warehouse. By the way, I just learned from an very knowledgeable battery guy on rcgroups that I should be using batteries with a higher C rating (than the stock 2200 mah C rating) because my Phantom is pretty heavy. Here's what he says:

"* I don't recommend anything lower than 25C for a bare bones Phantom,
* 35C for additional GoPro weight
* 45C if flying with a gimbal and FPV components."

Wish I'd know that before I bought new 30C batteries!

But, as you have discovered yourself, eh, live-and-learn! :(

The so-called battery door mod was to allow me to easily connect the larger 2800 mah battery. This larger battery can be carefully fitted into the Phantom but it's a squeeze. Rather than bother, I Dremeled both sides of the battery door in order to run the battery connecting cables outside the shell. I'm not concerned with cosmetics.

A neater solution would be to buy and install an extra large battery door, which can be closed over the larger batteries. Search this forum or Shapeways for this 3D printed part.

If you haven't done so already, please ignore the churlish comments from a couple of others here about your decision to buy the Vision. These are people who have never, nor will they ever make a mistake. They simply don't understand.

cheers!

digicrew said:
GearLoose said:

Hi GearLoose, can you explain what you mean by the battery door modification (and where can I get the 2800mah batteries) and also where did you get that price for the Fatshark?

Cheers

Yeah, this seems to be a tough crown around here.

As to the range issues some are having, the Vision is shipped with the controller set in the CE compliant mode. If you get one "Beep" at power on you will only have 300 meters range. Two "Beeps" indicate it's in the FCC mode and 500 meters range. I understand perfectly well why DJI ships all out set in the CE mode. (it's a legality thing) Here in the US you are going to have to rotate the potentiometer accessible through a hole on the back of the controller to put it in the FCC position and get the range up. OR set it with the phantom assistant software.

Mine wont' be here until Monday or Tuesday but I will post what I find for myself about this new Vision.

The best way to fit a snug 2700 mah battery is to take the door right off and connect the battery outside. Its so snug it won't fall out and you'll save weight.

Roadkilt said:
The best way to fit a snug 2700 mah battery is to take the door right off and connect the battery outside. Its so snug it won't fall out and you'll save weight.

On a Phantom Vision???

You sure?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl