It's official: Follow-me, Waypoints, and POI coming to all Phantom models

When will we see it?????
Somebody else posted 28 August as the date which is unfortunate as I have a big work project that night into weekend. Hope it goes smoothly so I can fly with new firmware.

Since we are already off topic . Has anyone looked into the flytrex sky . It sounds impressive for 600 dollars . It has 40 minute flight time and uses 3g cellular for video and control so there's no limit besides the battery as to how far it can go. Interesting concept but I'm not sure if there's a market for friend to friend deliveries. Best to watch the promo video to understand it.

Last edited:
unfortunatelly to 3dr the solo depends on the gopro, and we all know gopro is making their own drone...

it would be a kick where it hurts the must if gopro introduces a new hero model which is not compatible with the solo gimbal...

it's already out there.

hero session. looks like a cube. i can see gopro making this a camera/gimbal option on their new drone...

Love to see them when they get here. But just wondering...where does that leave the third party developers who put so much time and effort into their apps to develop POI etc.?
Well just as DJI is adding more and getting better (we still have to see it) I imagine all those developers will keep on providing first rate pilot app that will put DJI to shame. Lichi is a case in point, its a work in progress and the guys developing it add new features and functions all the time - and in response to user input (DJI take note!!!!)

What concerns me the most is they will release the new FW with all that stuff in it and everyone will download it and then go to fly their birds and ......wham, Bam, no thank you ma'am ..... they start crashing, fly aways, and become paperweights again. I am still on FW 1.19 and android DJI pillot 1.10
Not going to change until I have to cause it ain't broke so I don't fix !

Since we are already off topic . Has anyone looked into the flytrex sky . It sounds impressive for 600 dollars . It has 40 minute flight time and uses 3g cellular for video and control so there's no limit besides the battery as to how far it can go.
You realize that 3G is a PATHETICALLY slow joke! You think the tiny bit of video lag we get on the P3 is bad? At least the controls are crisp. 3G will add seconds of delay! PLUS having to pay for ANOTHER line of cell service. And dont tell me you will use a prepaid card. Video will suck down a #20 card in 30 minutes!

Reactions: acherman
What concerns me the most is they will release the new FW with all that stuff in it and everyone will download it and then go to fly their birds and ......wham, Bam, no thank you ma'am ..... they start crashing, fly aways, and become paperweights again. I am still on FW 1.19 and android DJI pillot 1.10
Course Lock has already been added. And you don't know whats broke... or fixed. You just haven't been hit with its result yet. Even if the firmware were flawless people are still crashing, getting "fly aways" and afraid to fly and update. Without action there is no progress!

it's already out there.

hero session. looks like a cube. i can see gopro making this a camera/gimbal option on their new drone...
GoPro is a smart company - more likely some version of their rumored GP5 (1/2 the weight of the current - better specs) will be on their drone. They have taken their time with the machine and know that they are going up against DJI.

I don't think any current company, even GP, has the resources to go up against DJI big time. GoPro is the closest in size but the entire value of GoPro (6 billion currently) is already about 1/2 that of DJI and DJI is 100% dedicated to drones and gimbals while it's a sideline for GP. GP is also hemmed in by being a public company - DJI can do what they want instantly. GP has to consider the legalities and their responsibility to shareholders.

I wouldn't be surprised to find the apples and googles and facebooks of the world eventually entering the field - Google bought Boston Dynamics and many other robotics and AI firms. Amazon is likely to build upon their R&D....which they are doing for the delivery drones.

II KNOW this is a duplicate of many different posts, but some people still seem to be unaware of this fact as some still think DJI will NOT provide these features.

Here's the official tweet confirming follow-me, Waypoints, and POI for ALL Phantom models soon:

https://twitter.com/DJIGlobal/status/628898525779079172

Hi, Do you mean all Phantom models, including the Vision and Vision plus?, If so, it would be great!,
Thanks for your confirmation

Coming soon! DJI Goodness!
bla_1440759660.png

REFRESH FOR CURRENT TIME AND INFORMATION.

Everything stated in this message is to be considered my own opinion, and not an official representation of DJI Corporation or any DJI employees. Actual time may vary.

Reactions: keepngoal
Coming soon! DJI Goodness!
bla_1440759660.png

REFRESH FOR CURRENT TIME AND INFORMATION.

Everything stated in this message is to be considered my own opinion, and not an official representation of DJI Corporation or any DJI employees. Actual time may vary.
Hey I think that could be viewed as a "Leak" Better hide.

Still nothing on Home Lock, that's a bummer, but good news nonetheless. Thanks for posting!

I think DJI has removed this feature permanently due to ambiguity. A lot of users got confused the terminology between Home Lock IOC vs Home Position (GPS) acquisition for RTH. HL IOC was designed to fly 360 around an object that was greater than 10m radius. It was ineffective as the camera/yaw still needed to be controlled (unlike POI). A lot of users got confused and didn't understand why their quads were changing direction when it returned into the 10m radius.

Also, users were using home lock to fly back home by pulling the right stick back. This was a great feature esp when you don't know the birds orientation (and this is what I miss most). If done wrong or forgotten to activate HL, this can cause the quad to fly further away.

Anyways... I think POI will replace the "Home Lock IOC" and DJI wants us to use the RTH button or fly her back manually instead of activating HL IOC and pulling the right stick down.

I fly my P3P almost entirely in commercial photo and film settings. I updated to the DJI Go App and the current firmware and while, it's definitely a hindrance, it's not unworkable. I've had Art Directors and Clients over my shoulder watching and yeah I've had a bunch of disconnects, but I just say "coming in for a landing" to check connection and I fix it and I'm back up in 120 seconds. It definitely sucks and I'd love to see some better, more stable firmware, even in a tense commercial setting (I was literally flying 3' from a water slide in Noahs Ark with kids gooing down last week) its manageable.

Personally, I've upgraded every FW when it came out. I had 2 bad experiences with P2's and since I've gone to the P3P, I've had zero problems (that weren't my fault). I've had 2 crashes (both were tree "magnets) and had to replace the shell. I am much more patient with start up & take-off than I used to be. I don't fear distance and have a Trackimo velcroed to my battery. I am honing my situational awareness and being very deliberate in my "shoots." I know others have had problems but I just have not had those. I did get a "extremely low voltage" warning the other day on an ascent, but landed right away and have not had that message pop up since. I use DJI Go app and, so far, I am extremely pleased with my P3P experience.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1