It's official: Follow-me, Waypoints, and POI coming to all Phantom models

Agree with the wish-list that others are posted. From the promo video...
- Speed of each segment - CHECK
- Altitude associated with each waypoint - CHECK
- Turning radius - NOT SPECIFIED
- Combine waypoints with POI, so auto camera positioning while on a flight plan - NOT SPECIFIED

Also, one question about POI - the video shows a skateboarder. Does it use phone-location to determine the dynamic location? I don't see anyone holding a flight controller.

And it's also possible already when using CL (which, is the point of CL), so following a path from point to point (essentially taking the right stick out of the input equation) is clearly doable and pretty trivial.
CL? Is this already on the P3?

Tell me more!
My comment about CL was in the context of the complexity of programming a waypoint algorithm taking into account the yaw motion of the quad. I re-read it and taken out of context it might seem that CL is capable of waypoint flying, which it isn't. I don't want to mislead you or anyone. That said:

upload_2015-8-26_8-9-5.png

Reactions: Man.Of.Kent
Thanks - all is clear now.

Reactions: cellarboy
Yes, the algorithms for waypoints with camera movements are more involved then flying straight from GPS location A to GPS location B but surely doable. I would be very disappointed if DJI would be unable to do that.furthermore I believe this is just the beginning and we will see more defined functionality in the future.

So how are we looking? Any news on a release date????

It's going to be the same date that it's released. One that happens, we will know the exact date and even the time.

The real beta testing will also begin on that date. There are sure to be a lot of beta testers so we should know about the issues very quickly.

Reactions: Joao Carlos
Also, one question about POI - the video shows a skateboarder. Does it use phone-location to determine the dynamic location? I don't see anyone holding a flight controller.

Look closely.. The skateboarder is using a white 20m usb cable :)

I think the first iteration of follow me will require the controller and smartphone/device to track.
I think DJI will then release a new GO app that will pair the main flight device via Bluetooth to another smart GPS enabled device that can be held by subject that is being followed.

I think people underestimate the difficulty in implementing waypoint navigation with user controlled camera positioning.
Simple waypoint navigation, like it was on the P2V+, is easy to implement: phantom just uses its orientation and current gps position to calculate the direction of flight to the next waypoint, and uses feedback from gps, to know when it is there. The problem starts when you need to allow the user camera control in the horizontal plane. If the camera had 2 degrees of freedom, like it has on the inspire, it would be relatively easy to allow you to do almost anything you want. Almost, because on the Inspire, the camera can not continuously rotate on its vertical axis. Because of this, you have to use yawing to get your camera shots. Here lies the problem: yawing impacts direction of flight, so in order to maintain a certain path with simultaneous yawing, orientation calculations have to compensate for the yawing. This is not trivial to do while keeping a smooth motion.
Think about a scenario like this: you are on a straight flight path from A to B, you have your camera pointed ahead and down 45 degrees, and you are starting to repeatedly yaw right and left, to perform seesaw panning. While doing that you have gusts of winds. In a perfect implementation, the P3 will be able to do all that while maintaining a straight line from A to B at a constant speed....

Doable? yes, but with very heavy control systems algorithms. This is why I always thought it would be simpler to have a camera that has its motion fully independent from the flight path. From my perspective, the Inspire still does not provide this solution as it cannot continuously rotate on its vertical axis. I guess this is why there will be a P4, a P5 or a P17. Each iteration will hint at what we can do and the next one will do it better, just slightly better....
It technically also already does this while hovering in wind. Complex.. Absolutely. But some new magic rocket science? Most definitely not.

It technically also already does this while hovering in wind. Complex.. Absolutely. But some new magic rocket science? Most definitely not.
Not trivial, but not rocket science- you are right. And as someone else pointed out, it does this also when RTH is in effect as you can change parameters while it is going toward the home point POI.
But I assume that there must be a difference, otherwise we would already have it. It's not like dji is gaining anything by holding back. I think the smoothness of the action is key to making this feature usable.
I, like everyone, am awaiting these features...

It would be amazing to have that firmware update, because I'm still trying to decide if I should buy the p2v+ or the p3 standard. And it's is the only thing stopping me of buying the p3. Any more news on the date ?

It would be amazing to have that firmware update, because I'm still trying to decide if I should buy the p2v+ or the p3 standard. And it's is the only thing stopping me of buying the p3. Any more news on the date ?
Really? Why? The p3s is superior and cheaper too. Not to mention brand new

Skylimmer: the function you desire will eventually come to the P3 and will be a standard feature on most quads in the near future. The P3 is a model that is currently produced. If you need waypoints and can't wait for the FW update, there must be a good reason that makes it feasable for you and I can appreciate that.
My P2Vision+Vers 3 is retired complete with Gimbal saver bracket, 2nd battery Pelican hardcase spare props and unused prop guards..... if you are really desperate ;), otherwise just get a P3!

Several 3rd party apps out there for this kind of stuff but require loading their firmware which kind of scares me. I'm wanting to do surveying which will require a photo evey 80' or so at an altitude of 200' AGL. I'd really like to have this automated, especially for large sites like 30 acre coal yards.

If you guys want to get a glimpse of how waypoints and these features will look, check out the following video and go to 2:22:

Man they could've used a better video for the Point of Interest shot. Shaky as heck.

I wish they would've spent time on a cable cam flight mode. If they can program something like POI and waypoints, why can't they enable someone to frame a shot, press a button, frame a second shot, press another button, then hit "go".

And it's also possible already when using CL (which, is the point of CL), so following a path from point to point (essentially taking the right stick out of the input equation) is clearly doable and pretty trivial.

My experience with it is that it never keeps a straight path. The second you start yawing, it goes way off course. Crashed a P3p this way thinking that mode worked like the Solo. :(

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj