"It's kind of creepy!"

I think the taking of a photo of her property and giving it to her is a good idea, but I think I would take a picture of the edge of it from your normal flight path, if she is half won over then suggest you could take a full aerial of her property for her if she wishes.
I think everyone would like to own a picture of their house from above and she would be your new best friend.

Reactions: Youngbill
Ahh...No. It's against the law to brandish a weapon. But they do see it strapped to my hip [emoji6]. They also see me carrying cases to my car with logos like Sig Sauer, Colt, etc. and it doesn't take a genius. I'll bite my tongue on #2...but it does show me your mindset.
Rock your rights and tell the hippy phucks to find a new home. Learn how to defend yourself and stop being a puppet of the system. When your loved ones are on the line do you really trust anyone else to protect them? Wake up and realize the logistics, police show up 30 min after your alarm goes off. Do you really think anyone will be saved? Freedom requires parcipitation.

Last item brandishing is not against the law depending on the situation and local regulations. In many situations brandishing a firearm can lead to resolution without injury or loss of life.

New tech stuff usually brings misunderstandings. The lady might be the kind that complains on everything, or perhaps she truly believes your bird is able to record her freckles.
So my advice is to be the good neighbor you seem to be. Make a print of her house from your video and hand it to her. Educate her and perhaps you can give her fears some rest. Offer her some UAV facts (video above), that is if she's open to listen to you.
I think this is an excellent, very diplomatic suggestion and I'm going to do it this weekend! I'll post the result of our meeting after it happens.

Reactions: reboot81
Ahh...No. It's against the law to brandish a weapon. But they do see it strapped to my hip [emoji6]. They also see me carrying cases to my car with logos like Sig Sauer, Colt, etc. and it doesn't take a genius. I'll bite my tongue on #2...but it does show me your mindset.

I was kidding particularly about #2 - I am not anti-gun just thought your "f-em" comment was a funny follow-up to your original points. Anyway I was curious about how all your neighbors knew you had guns and what you said makes sense. Where I live, the only person I know for sure has a gun is my neighbor- and that's because it came up in a conversation once...I don't really care that he has it (was brought up around guns)... otherwise I don't know who in my neighborhood has them. I just found it interesting that people knew and had an opinion.

Hey guys, many good off topic points, but they are off topic. We do have a forum for that...:)

Although you may feel a bit insulted, what she did was very reasonable. Most would call the police rather than confront someone they don't know. There is a very real fear of the unknown. It happens to be what helps keep us as humans alive. Given that she chose to approach you in a reasonable manner I wouldn't automatically think she's lying or nuts. She may well have had a UAV over her property and assumed it was yours. Additionally someone watching her children swim is creepy. I would burn a dvd of your flights surounding that time with the date and telemetry overlayed. Although you may feel she's not entitled to this, she has communicated a reasonable fear she's possessing. Supplying her with proof it wasn't you will at least diffuse any issue with you and help her trust someone she doesn't really know. Reapproaching her will also show her you took her concerns seriously and care. Having now begun a dialogue I would try to have her accompany you during a short flight. Preflight it in her presence, it shows the care taken to operate safely, then take off and hover at tree level while panning toward you. Allow her to see what it sees and explain there is no zoom. Then ascend to 150' 250' and 400' show her that by 150' certain details including people are indiscernible. I did exactly this with a curious neighbor. I now have no issue taking off from my driveway at will. It has successfully made it around the tight neighborhood social network that my Inspire 1 can't see detail above treetop height. My neighbors now wave and say they want one. Although only my opinion but if everyone was approachable, reasonable, and forthright with real information there wouldn't be as many issues or untruths sensationalized.

Last edited:
Reactions: StumbleBee
Chnjab, all sensible and diplomatic suggestions. I will be using some of them over the weekend. Will post here on Monday with the result.

This is all such a gray area still. Noone is sure yet what the"rules" are on this.

Rest assured, we live in THE "regulation nation" and eventually it will be made crystal clear what the rules are and I'm guessing we won't exactly like it.

My advice? Fly it like you stole it (but under 400') until then, while you still can.

I live at the top of a small hill and climb to 200' before any flight. The hill being only 100' high this results in most of my flying at 300' above ground level. For the first 1000 or so feet of travel I point my camera down and follow the road until I reach a woods where I go in whatever direction for the rest of the trip. I have lived in my house since 1973 and know most everyone around me.
While flying last evening a new neighbor I'd not met came by and said she'd appreciate it if I didn't fly over her house. I didn't recognize her and asked which house was hers. She pointed to a yellow gambrel down the street. I said that I didn't fly over her house and went down the middle of the street. She said I had hovered over her back yard last Saturday. She said her kids were in the pool and that she found it kind of creepy that I was photographing them. For a while I just looked at her not knowing what to say.
I then said that I had a record of every single flight I have taken. The record clearly shows the flight superimposed on a Google map with all telemetry, and includes the video from every flight. Would she like to see it? No she said, just don't fly over her house anymore (which I hadn't done anyway). She then walked back home.
Later I reviewed my three flights from Saturday. The record was clear: I had flown along the road in front of her house at an altitude of about 250'. I never stopped and was traveling at 12-15mph every time. No hovering.
The camera, as usual, was full down, and recording the road. As I passed by her house each time I could make out a corner of her swimming pool in the back yard. No kids in sight and even if they were at that altitude they would have been almost undetectable. At first I was kind of angry, the nerve of her to imply I was doing something "creepy". Then I thought I would insist she watch my 'proof' of non-creepiness. Finally I figured she's either hyper protective or completely paranoid and nothing I could do would relieve her suspicions.
I've always been a good neighbor. I plow the elderly folks' driveways for free, I don't mow before 10 a.m., I keep my property neat, I take in neighbors' mail whey they're away etc. etc. I'm not changing my flight plans to suit her. Let's see where this goes.
What are your thoughts?

I confess I have not read every reply.
The facts are if the woman makes a complaint...the police will investigate.Because there are kids in the frame..the police will doubly investigate to ensure nothing untoward is taking place. As for friends in the police..not when a complaint is made. The woman likely knows you have friends and would include a request xxxx were not to investigate.
I have always chosen to preempt trouble and get my bit in first.
If you are sure of your "facts"and safe from any "decency" infringements or breaking any flight regulations, either draft a letter and ask a lawyer to "legal" it up and issue to the police to register your position... and or send a copy of the original sent to the police - to the woman.
By making it official with the police...who will interview you...and possibly the woman. It will all boil down to your video records.
However you mention flying over and down the middle of the road.
Are you sure that's "legal" within the person and property avoidance zones?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl