"It's kind of creepy!"

Reaction score
I live at the top of a small hill and climb to 200' before any flight. The hill being only 100' high this results in most of my flying at 300' above ground level. For the first 1000 or so feet of travel I point my camera down and follow the road until I reach a woods where I go in whatever direction for the rest of the trip. I have lived in my house since 1973 and know most everyone around me.
While flying last evening a new neighbor I'd not met came by and said she'd appreciate it if I didn't fly over her house. I didn't recognize her and asked which house was hers. She pointed to a yellow gambrel down the street. I said that I didn't fly over her house and went down the middle of the street. She said I had hovered over her back yard last Saturday. She said her kids were in the pool and that she found it kind of creepy that I was photographing them. For a while I just looked at her not knowing what to say.
I then said that I had a record of every single flight I have taken. The record clearly shows the flight superimposed on a Google map with all telemetry, and includes the video from every flight. Would she like to see it? No she said, just don't fly over her house anymore (which I hadn't done anyway). She then walked back home.
Later I reviewed my three flights from Saturday. The record was clear: I had flown along the road in front of her house at an altitude of about 250'. I never stopped and was traveling at 12-15mph every time. No hovering.
The camera, as usual, was full down, and recording the road. As I passed by her house each time I could make out a corner of her swimming pool in the back yard. No kids in sight and even if they were at that altitude they would have been almost undetectable. At first I was kind of angry, the nerve of her to imply I was doing something "creepy". Then I thought I would insist she watch my 'proof' of non-creepiness. Finally I figured she's either hyper protective or completely paranoid and nothing I could do would relieve her suspicions.
I've always been a good neighbor. I plow the elderly folks' driveways for free, I don't mow before 10 a.m., I keep my property neat, I take in neighbors' mail whey they're away etc. etc. I'm not changing my flight plans to suit her. Let's see where this goes.
What are your thoughts?

I live at the top of a small hill and climb to 200' before any flight. The hill being only 100' high this results in most of my flying at 300' above ground level. For the first 1000 or so feet of travel I point my camera down and follow the road until I reach a woods where I go in whatever direction for the rest of the trip. I have lived in my house since 1973 and know most everyone around me.
While flying last evening a new neighbor I'd not met came by and said she'd appreciate it if I didn't fly over her house. I didn't recognize her and asked which house was hers. She pointed to a yellow gambrel down the street. I said that I didn't fly over her house and went down the middle of the street. She said I had hovered over her back yard last Saturday. She said her kids were in the pool and that she found it kind of creepy that I was photographing them. For a while I just looked at her not knowing what to say.
I then said that I had a record of every single flight I have taken. The record clearly shows the flight superimposed on a Google map with all telemetry, and includes the video from every flight. Would she like to see it? No she said, just don't fly over her house anymore (which I hadn't done anyway). She then walked back home.
Later I reviewed my three flights from Saturday. The record was clear: I had flown along the road in front of her house at an altitude of about 250'. I never stopped and was traveling at 12-15mph every time. No hovering.
The camera, as usual, was full down, and recording the road. As I passed by her house each time I could make out a corner of her swimming pool in the back yard. No kids in sight and even if they were at that altitude they would have been almost undetectable. At first I was kind of angry, the nerve of her to imply I was doing something "creepy". Then I thought I would insist she watch my 'proof' of non-creepiness. Finally I figured she's either hyper protective or completely paranoid and nothing I could do would relieve her suspicions.
I've always been a good neighbor. I plow the elderly folks' driveways for free, I don't mow before 10 a.m., I keep my property neat, I take in neighbors' mail whey they're away etc. etc. I'm not changing my flight plans to suit her. Let's see where this goes.
What are your thoughts?
She's going to believe her kids over you. Sounds like she's going to be trouble from here on out. I'd fly higher when near her area. If she can't hear or see it, it won't be an issue.

What are your thoughts?
As long as you are doing your due diligence and can show that you were not, I would suggest that you just keep the info on hand for when she comes back with the police, and she likely will, so you can show them you are not doing as she says. When you can prove you didn't do it the first time and she does it again they can handle it from there.

I
She's going to believe her kids over you. Sounds like she's going to be trouble from here on out. I'd fly higher when near her area. If she can't hear or see it, it won't be an issue.
Good suggestion but it might not work. I can hear my bird until about 400 feet altitude and she can clearly see my house from hers. If she's truly paranoid she'll be listening for me to launch. I don't want to go over 400' because I am between two busy airports.
She didn't say that the kids had said I was hovering over them. Whether they did say that, or whether that was her perception she didn't say.

I have been saying this for awhile people see it on the news it must be true . Now anyone hearing a UAV (not seeing) are up to no good spying on them . Do not quit because of this the only way for people to learn they are being way over paranoid is to prove they are wrong . Keep your all your info in order it's time we show facts instead of media hype . Seems most the people complaining think the world revolves around them just like the guy that shot the UAV it could have been Isis really your that important Isis has a hit on you LMFAO . Keep your flight plans as is if your not over her land your good .

As long as you are doing your due diligence and can show that you were not, I would suggest that you just keep the info on hand for when she comes back with the police, and she likely will, so you can show them you are not doing as she says. When you can prove you didn't do it the first time and she does it again they can handle it from there.
I have made a mental note to make sure that I record video the entire flight. Can't argue with the time and date stamps! Good thing I have a 64 gig card in the bird!
I'm not really concerned about the police. I know many of them, have employed a couple at times, and have a lifetime spotless record. Still, having video proof which shows someone is going a little overboard can't be a bad thing, right?
I have a right to fly -no law to the contrary- and I'm reluctant to allow someone to infringe that right.

I hear you. What model Phantom younflying? I can't hear mine that high...although I'm in a bit noisier area probably.

She may be thinking that if she can 'see' your bird from her yard, it must be over her house. People's depth perception isn't perfect. The FAA makes it clear: you don't own the airspace above your property. Etiquette may be that you fly at least double the height of the tallest object on her land.

Regardless, keep flying responsibly. What else could you or your neighbors ask for within reason?

She may be thinking that if she can 'see' your bird from her yard, it must be over her house. People's depth perception isn't perfect. The FAA makes it clear: you don't own the airspace above your property. Etiquette may be that you fly at least double the height of the tallest object on her land.

Regardless, keep flying responsibly. What else could you or your neighbors ask for within reason?
Yes, I'll follow your suggestion to keep flying responsibly. No doubt that she perceived that my bird was over her house at some point but the "hovering" was what bothered me the most. Of course, she may not know what hovering means. At 250' I was way over double her tree height.

[snip]
Why go through the trouble to see tiny objects in a video..
I suppose some people might. Before buying my P3P I watched about every YouTube video there was. People do some dangerous and voyeuristic things and think nothing of it. In fact, they're so proud of it they post it on YT! As with any sport, the bad apples make everyone look bad. I participate in tracking ('racing' a sports car at a dedicated track) and the shooting sports. Similar things are true in those sports as well.

Reactions: Goldni and Ti22
Yes, I'll follow your suggestion to keep flying responsibly. No doubt that she perceived that my bird was over her house at some point but the "hovering" was what bothered me the most. Of course, she may not know what hovering means. At 250' I was way over double her tree height.

At 250' you can't discern faces much less one person from another. I ran across @Fdnyfish 's video the other day:

explain it wasnt you and calm her down
but just as she is walking off ask her where she had her bedroom furniture from as you do like it
I'm sure you are just kidding. However, I have to tell you I was so peeved that making some awful comment did go thru my mind. In the end though what I really wanted to do was allay her fears. Making some snide comment would certainly have made things worse.

I have made a mental note to make sure that I record video the entire flight. Can't argue with the time and date stamps! Good thing I have a 64 gig card in the bird!
I'm not really concerned about the police. I know many of them, have employed a couple at times, and have a lifetime spotless record. Still, having video proof which shows someone is going a little overboard can't be a bad thing, right?
I have a right to fly -no law to the contrary- and I'm reluctant to allow someone to infringe that right.

As you friendly with the police.. have a word with one of them about the incident so they know what's going on... better safe than a target for some crazy woman ;-)

Reactions: unclejas
As a gun owner I already know there are people in my neighborhood that don't approve. I'm sure it's the same with flying my multirotor. Best I can do is invite them to shoot or watch video of my flight. Other then that, they can go Fu*k Off.

Reactions: Goldni
New tech stuff usually brings misunderstandings. The lady might be the kind that complains on everything, or perhaps she truly believes your bird is able to record her freckles.
So my advise is to be the good neighbor you seem to be. Make a print of her house from your video and hand it to her. Educate her and perhaps you can give her fears some rest. Offer her some UAV facts (video above), that is if she's open to listen to you.

Reactions: StumbleBee
As a gun owner I already know there are people in my neighborhood that don't approve. I'm sure it's the same with flying my multirotor. Best I can do is invite them to shoot or watch video of my flight. Other then that, they can go Fu*k Off.

LOL - 1. Why do people in your neighborhood know you have a gun? Do you brandish it a lot? 2. You're "F Off" attitude kind of makes me wonder if you'll just randomly use it.

I say these things tongue firmly planted in cheek.

LOL - 1. Why do people in your neighborhood know you have a gun? Do you brandish it a lot? 2. You're "F Off" attitude kind of makes me wonder if you'll just randomly use it.

I say these things tongue firmly planted in cheek.

Ahh...No. It's against the law to brandish a weapon. But they do see it strapped to my hip [emoji6]. They also see me carrying cases to my car with logos like Sig Sauer, Colt, etc. and it doesn't take a genius. I'll bite my tongue on #2...but it does show me your mindset.

Reactions: redmoe

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20