Itelite with amps and maxx range antenna question??

I'm gonna fly tomorrow. 1 battery with amps unhooked just the dbs antenna. See the range. I think if my range goes back to normal with just the dbs mods then I'll know I didn't mess up controller. Then I'll fly another one with the evo kit hooked up and see

Reactions: MasterBlaster
I'm gonna fly tomorrow. 1 battery with amps unhooked just the dbs antenna. See the range. I think if my range goes back to normal with just the dbs mods then I'll know I didn't mess up controller. Then I'll fly another one with the evo kit hooked up and see

sorry if I don't get it, but what exact troubleshooting you did?
Swapped amps?
Swapped internal RC cable?
Swapped cables from amp to antenna?
swapped whole antenna?
swapped only one side of antenna(mixed antenna then)
connected amps directly to antenna( without cable from amp and antenna)
all above with P4 on and off and with more distance(>50m would be enough)

What result fir each step?

I maybe missed a crucial sentence from you but if you believe it's one of the amps it means you got blue light when swapping amps.
Further steps would be to find out if only blue light is gone or not.
Test your amps with normal wifi and a signal app. Then you know for sure.

I had same issue. I had cable issue.

Small update!
Took of the evo amp kit. Went back to just DBS mod kit and took her up. Got plenty of distance. So atleast I know it's not the RC. I'll get a new amp tuesday and swap it out and report in

Got. Ew amp and installed it. Seems to work correctly now. We will see how long this one lasts. Will fly later today

Bad news. I got the new amp and thought all was well as it worked for 2 flights. But tried to fly tonight and back to square 1. Left side not shining blue and only getting g about a mile of range

After many different tests with stock RC, maxx panel boosted and unboosted in different locations with LOS and no LOS, I have to say that my original thought that my amps were not working correctly comes down to "expectations". I'll explain: before I got the amp I got the maxx panel by itself and didn't feel great improvement in non LOS conditions, then I got the amp and felt the same. In LOS conditions without a battery mod it is just not a fair test as the battery will always run out before any of my signals with stock RC! So I wanted the RC mod for non LOS conditions, now after looking back at all the logs I keep, in non los conditions there HAS BEEN IMPROVEMENT:
in non LOS, trees, houses etc ,
Stock RC 4000'
Unboosted maxx 5500'
Boosted maxx 7500'

So if I were to look at the percentage increase, it is good, it is just that my "expectations" were not educated enough. I probably felt that with boosted I should be able to go to the moon and back!!!

Reactions: D'sAdvanced
I agree but un-boosted with just itelite I was getting 12k more distance in exact same area. And it's not shinning blue so something is not right.

I agree but un-boosted with just itelite I was getting 12k more distance in exact same area. And it's not shinning blue so something is not right.

Oh I was not referring to your situation, just a general observation. If yours is not solid blue then there is something definitely wrong.

Last edited:

Trip, if you haven't done so, I would try a different area to test in, just to be sure.
I know I have read others having an issue and it was related to it boosting noise in certain areas.
I know you said yours is not blue. Mine is never the same blue on both sides. I have to really look hard for a while to see it blink blue every now and then. If I was not trying hard I would never see it.
But, I am definitely getting better range boosted versus un-boosted.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

@Tripc, did you get this resolved? I just installed the Maxx range panel this weekend for the first time and got the exact problem you were having - left side amp shining only white, and right side amp shining blue as normal. Before this the DBS02 panel was working perfect boosted with both amps shining blue. Was it a bad amp, bad cable or something else?
I have double checked everything and found no poor connections inside or outside the RC....

@Tripc, did you get this resolved? I just installed the Maxx range panel this weekend for the first time and got the exact problem you were having - left side amp shining only white, and right side amp shining blue as normal. Before this the DBS02 panel was working perfect boosted with both amps shining blue. Was it a bad amp, bad cable or something else?
I have double checked everything and found no poor connections inside or outside the RC....
Well at first. Jake sent me a new amp. Hooked everything up and got both shinning blue. Took for a test flight and worked. Then my next flight a few days later. It was doing the same thing. So I thought it might be the cables. Jake sent me some more and both shinning blue again. I test flew yesterday and everything seemed ok but time will tell. Try swapping amps but I don't think that will help. Not for sure of the problem with the set up but it's got to be something

Well at first. Jake sent me a new amp. Hooked everything up and got both shinning blue. Took for a test flight and worked. Then my next flight a few days later. It was doing the same thing. So I thought it might be the cables. Jake sent me some more and both shinning blue again. I test flew yesterday and everything seemed ok but time will tell. Try swapping amps but I don't think that will help. Not for sure of the problem with the set up but it's got to be something
Thanks Tripc, I'll try some other cables tonight and see if that helps.....much easier than changing amps (not that I have one anyway!!)

Sent from my Amazon OtterX using PhantomPilots mobile app
By the way, what app were you using? I was running Lichi.

Have you flown it yet? If so what kind of range are you getting?
I think there is confusion on what lights should be doing what. On my Maxx I get one blue and one white (flickers blue every now and then).The white is the receive/HD side.
From what I understand this is normal. When I use my small DBS I get both blue but on the Maxx I always get white on the HD side. I get great range boosted compared to without.

Yes, I flew yesterday with the maxx panel.... White led on the left(port 1) and blue on the right. Control was fine out to 5k feet but video dropped out at ~2k feet.
dbs02 panel was okay well over 5k feet for control and video with blue LEDs on both side.
Strange that Tripc changed his cables and is now seeing 2 blue LEDs all the time? I'm thinking that 1 white and 1 blue is not normal. I'll test again tonight with new cables

Sent from my Amazon OtterX using Tapatalk

Have you flown it yet? If so what kind of range are you getting?
I think there is confusion on what lights should be doing what. On my Maxx I get one blue and one white (flickers blue every now and then).The white is the receive/HD side.
From what I understand this is normal. When I use my small DBS I get both blue but on the Maxx I always get white on the HD side. I get great range boosted compared to without.

This is why I like the older 2015 Sunhans (silver) over the gold ones, yes the gold ones are tiny and compact, but the silver ones are so dependable

Reactions: suck it up
Thanks db, however I hear that the gold ones will allow me to do a 20 mile suicide mission where the silver ones limit you to only19 miles! [emoji23]

Bad news. I got the new amp and thought all was well as it worked for 2 flights. But tried to fly tonight and back to square 1. Left side not shining blue and only getting g about a mile of range
Hi there,
In another thread (was flying from inside the house?) this was discussed earlier. The P4 is in many conditions not strong enought to kick in the amplification or at least the blue light. Even when gettging close to the P4. My left side blue light is only blinking when using the Itelite dbs02 or the tp-link 12dbi omnidirectional antenna. Also when I point my both parabolic antennas to each other. The reason why is that crossfeeding the signal from one antenna to the other. Once reached a certain level it will amplify.
I noticed that the blue light does not lid triggered by RX side. If the signal is too weak at the input it will not amplfy. That's why your right side (FC with Tx (and maybe some Rx)) is blue and the left side not.
The Sunhans work fine for Tx. For the Rx they are on the edge of being to insensitive.
Thus, it is important to get the signal in as strong as possible. -short antenna cables, good quality cables, and antenna which narrows to beam at least a little towards the bird. (can be omnidirectional with narrow vertical spread as well.- must not be sharp directional.)

Thanks db, however I hear that the gold ones will allow me to do a 20 mile suicide mission where the silver ones limit you to only19 miles! [emoji23]

Yeah but suicide missions are overrated, much like suicide itself! Besides, you're not going to do a 20 mile flight without the terminator anyway, and this post is about DBS[emoji41]

This has been said before but there is just a huge amount of misinformation about the blue led indication on the Sunhan amps.

The Sunhans boost in both directions, transmitting and receiving, but can only operate in one direction at a time.

The booster looks at the signal strength on the RADIO port to determine if it should be in receive mode (WHITE LED) or transmit mode (BLUE LED).

If the signal level is above a certain threshold it switches to transmit mode.

ONLY ONE SIDE of the RC transmits. You can't assume that it's the left side or the right side since it depends on how the cables were routed when the antenna mod was done.

It is NOT abnormal for the booster that is on the receive-only port of the RC not to show blue because this booster should NEVER go into transmit mode.

I suspect that when you have 2 boosters very close together, and 2 antennas very close together, and close to the RC, especially if both boosters are operating from a common power supply, that it's certainly possible that enough RF energy leaks from the transmit side booster when it is in transmit mode to cause the other booster to go into transmit mode periodically as well.

This should not cause any problems if it happens. But, the presence of 2 blue LEds doesn't mean it's 'right' and having only one blue LED isn't 'wrong'.

Reactions: MasterBlaster
This has been said before but there is just a huge amount of misinformation about the blue led indication on the Sunhan amps.

The Sunhans boost in both directions, transmitting and receiving, but can only operate in one direction at a time.

The booster looks at the signal strength on the RADIO port to determine if it should be in receive mode (WHITE LED) or transmit mode (BLUE LED).

If the signal level is above a certain threshold it switches to transmit mode.

ONLY ONE SIDE of the RC transmits. You can't assume that it's the left side or the right side since it depends on how the cables were routed when the antenna mod was done.

It is NOT abnormal for the booster that is on the receive-only port of the RC not to show blue because this booster should NEVER go into transmit mode.

I suspect that when you have 2 boosters very close together, and 2 antennas very close together, and close to the RC, especially if both boosters are operating from a common power supply, that it's certainly possible that enough RF energy leaks from the transmit side booster when it is in transmit mode to cause the other booster to go into transmit mode periodically as well.

This should not cause any problems if it happens. But, the presence of 2 blue LEds doesn't mean it's 'right' and having only one blue LED isn't 'wrong'.

I agree My measurements yesterday confirm what you write. The P4 is actually too weak to make use of the full gain of the amp. There are amps that have a steeper none linear amplification curve or are simply pre-amping stronger at these low power levels. However, the price can go up very easily. Check out Jeremihas's thread "flying from inside the house..". There is also some info about amping..

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj