ITELITE + RE500 vs RE700

The thing about either range extender, if you mess up the mod, you could burn the transmitter. But the ITELITE lasts forever. You can't burn out the ITELITE.

I think what would happen is you'd end up getting the 700 anyway eventually, regardless of what range you think you might be happier with. But considering you'd have to pay so much, I would probably get the ITELITE first with the knowledge that you'll probably end up with the 700 some day. That way, when you do the mod on the 500, it'll be good practice for you. Later when you do the mod on the expensive 700, you'll be an expert. ;)
Marknmd do you think there would be a very large different from the Re500 with ITELITE over the RE700 with ITELITE.

The thing about either range extender, if you mess up the mod, you could burn the transmitter. But the ITELITE lasts forever. You can't burn out the ITELITE.

I think what would happen is you'd end up getting the 700 anyway eventually, regardless of what range you think you might be happier with. But considering you'd have to pay so much, I would probably get the ITELITE first with the knowledge that you'll probably end up with the 700 some day. That way, when you do the mod on the 500, it'll be good practice for you. Later when you do the mod on the expensive 700, you'll be an expert. ;)

I've bought an RE700 today from USA, GREENBRIER, TN. for 50 USD !!! really cheap for me :) it should arrive from 05-17 May. First-Class Package International Service from USPS - does this mean it comes air mail ? I'm not familiar with US post office stuff...

Anyway I will first mod the RE500 one day then go for the RE700 but I think the default range of RE700 being 500-700 meters would be just fine for me ! 300 meters was a bit short :) getting double of that sounds amazing for me !

Bernek those green hills looks great. I'm envious

Yeah they are nice ! I love flying above green hills they look so nice in real life (in videos are ok too but not that great - maybe in 4K :p)

I've got the RE700 ! I hope it will help me a bit :) Also I have a strange problem with Litchi (don't know if you use it). When I try to take pictures and its set for RAW+JPEG it only takes 1-2 second video instead of a picture !! if I set it to JPEG only it takes pictures no problems. If I use the DJI VISION app it works perfectly with either settings of the above.

:)

First Class Mail is actually not "First Class." It's the opposite. Still - you got a great price! Well done.

great to hear. First class is how most of our letter go. It should not take as long as China does. ;).
There is a pretty video on YouTube on how to mod the RE. Shows some tricks on opening it up. I just picked up a few extra parts from a local gut charger,RE700, controller(older model), beat up battery for $100. I'm thinking on moding the battery so I can do a saddle bag battery pack.
Good luck with your mod. Biggest think take your time and remove the circuit board be for drilling. I've read allot of people drill are into the board :oops::mad:

I've been using Litchi for quite a while now. It's all I use.

For some strange reason when I try to take a picture (I have it set to RAW+JPEG) it takes a 1-2 second movie but I hear the photo being taken sound !! Not sure what is going on :( and I don't have big fingers and I touch exactly on the "take photo" icon. If I set it (in Litchi) to JPEG only with no RAW it takes the photo no problems at all. Also I have problems with VR MODE in Litchi (I use VR BOX - cardboard type glasses) and I get the two images but they are full of distorsion and macro blocks (pink) everywhere ... slightly above I get 2 correct images but they are squished down and not usable. I use a Samsung Galaxy S3 for this ... I know its old but its quite a capable phone even in our days. It worked perfectly with Google card board apps/movies/etc also with VR mode for a Parrot ArDrone 2.0 (using ARFlight Pro app). I've asked on Litchi forums (google plus) but didn't receive any help at all. I also contacted the developer but since Litchi is free and no longer updated for P2V and P2V+ they didn't bother to help me out.

For some strange reason when I try to take a picture (I have it set to RAW+JPEG) it takes a 1-2 second movie but I hear the photo being taken sound !! Not sure what is going on :( and I don't have big fingers and I touch exactly on the "take photo" icon. If I set it (in Litchi) to JPEG only with no RAW it takes the photo no problems at all. Also I have problems with VR MODE in Litchi (I use VR BOX - cardboard type glasses) and I get the two images but they are full of distorsion and macro blocks (pink) everywhere ... slightly above I get 2 correct images but they are squished down and not usable. I use a Samsung Galaxy S3 for this ... I know its old but its quite a capable phone even in our days. It worked perfectly with Google card board apps/movies/etc also with VR mode for a Parrot ArDrone 2.0 (using ARFlight Pro app). I've asked on Litchi forums (google plus) but didn't receive any help at all. I also contacted the developer but since Litchi is free and no longer updated for P2V and P2V+ they didn't bother to help me out.
How large is your memory and how much space it on it. I know raw takes allot of space and it may be filling the card with temp files.

The Mini SD card in Phantom is 16GB class 10 UHS-i there shouldn't be any problem and I erase it before every flight so I get full 14-15 GB free :) (formated capacity).

I can't help you sorry. I have never taken a raw pic and I've never used VR mode either.

Do you use the Camera boost from Litchi ? I've set mine from 13dB to 20dB didn't notice a huge improvement. They are talking about overheating but I doubt it could be the case ... maybe in really hot weather. I've seen some videos on YT with people flying P2V (non plus) with RE700 and they got quite a nice range from 700-1200 meters ! that would be: 2300-4000ft ... not sure if I will get this performance but I always pick a high spot for myself and I fly at around 250-300 feet. Somehow I position myself a bit further away from the POI and I really need the extra 200 meters. (from 300 to 500 for example)

if you can try a larger card. not saying its the card. Just to eliminate that it is not. I've never tried raw setting on my drone but in my cannon camera the raw files are 3 to 4 times the side.

I think I have mine set at 13 db. I did a little flying today. around noon it was already 91 degrees. it's showing 100 now. it picks at 4pm. I did notice the battery drop fast. one minute it was 42 % next it was 13% I ended up landing about 1000 ft away and going and getting it.

I think I have mine set at 13 db. I did a little flying today. around noon it was already 91 degrees. it's showing 100 now. it picks at 4pm. I did notice the battery drop fast. one minute it was 42 % next it was 13% I ended up landing about 1000 ft away and going and getting it.

A raw file from my P2V is 27.5 MB the card has roughly 15000 MB free most of the time so it can't be an issue :(

You should try for 20 dB see if you get more range I doubt it that it can cause any harm to camera/wifi system. Either way it has a temperature protection as stated from DJI in the manual ... it will automatically turn off to cool itself. I'm now flying at 20 dB all the time :)

If you see that huge drop in battery that fast I would say that battery its on its way to the battery cemetery. It happend to me with lots of other devices and when huge battery drops like that it will die out eventually. I would honestly not use it anymore since it can be dangerous to your Phantom and to others. I'm not sure about battery life cycles ... DJI I think says 300 tops then you can replace it. Some were crying on the internet that 100 cycles and its gone. I would honestly would love to get 250-300 cycles from my batteries. (I only have 2 since they are expensive for me).

One has 20 cycles and the other maybe 10 so they are "new". Regarding this I would like to ask you if you leave the battery turned off inside of the P2V ? or you remove it ? I would like to leave one fully charged in the P2V but turned off. Do you think it will discharge or anything ? since its turned off.

Do you use the Camera boost from Litchi ? I've set mine from 13dB to 20dB didn't notice a huge improvement. They are talking about overheating but I doubt it could be the case ... maybe in really hot weather. I've seen some videos on YT with people flying P2V (non plus) with RE700 and they got quite a nice range from 700-1200 meters ! that would be: 2300-4000ft ... not sure if I will get this performance but I always pick a high spot for myself and I fly at around 250-300 feet. Somehow I position myself a bit further away from the POI and I really need the extra 200 meters. (from 300 to 500 for example)

Last week I flew out two miles with my camera boost at 19. Had five bars all the way out. Then I turned around and flew back. :sunglasses:

It was the first time I flew out that far and didn't lose FPV.

Yeah, I am a little concerned about overheating. It was a fairly cool morning though. But the thing is, we don't see a lot of threads on the camera's tx board overheating, so I'm thinking DJI was a little conservative with the 13, and maybe we can push that a bit in most cases. Still - we should be wary of hot days of course.

OTOH if we have to buy a new used FC200 on eBay, it's not the end of the world.

Edit: Another strategy - if it's a hot day and you're worried about overheating - is to fly out with the normal 13, and then when you're half way out, hover and enable the boost. That way it has less time to overheat. I watched Chuck of DBS Mods do that on one of his videos.

Last edited:
Regarding this I would like to ask you if you leave the battery turned off inside of the P2V ? or you remove it ? I would like to leave one fully charged in the P2V but turned off. Do you think it will discharge or anything ? since its turned off.

I don't think it's a big deal if you want to leave the battery in the craft, but I wouldn't keep it on full charge unless you knew for sure you were flying the next day. Yes, the battery is supposed to auto-discharge on its own whether it's on or off. IIRC it's three days I think - for the auto-discharge to start.

A raw file from my P2V is 27.5 MB the card has roughly 15000 MB free most of the time so it can't be an issue :(

You should try for 20 dB see if you get more range I doubt it that it can cause any harm to camera/wifi system. Either way it has a temperature protection as stated from DJI in the manual ... it will automatically turn off to cool itself. I'm now flying at 20 dB all the time :)

If you see that huge drop in battery that fast I would say that battery its on its way to the battery cemetery. It happend to me with lots of other devices and when huge battery drops like that it will die out eventually. I would honestly not use it anymore since it can be dangerous to your Phantom and to others. I'm not sure about battery life cycles ... DJI I think says 300 tops then you can replace it. Some were crying on the internet that 100 cycles and its gone. I would honestly would love to get 250-300 cycles from my batteries. (I only have 2 since they are expensive for me).

One has 20 cycles and the other maybe 10 so they are "new". Regarding this I would like to ask you if you leave the battery turned off inside of the P2V ? or you remove it ? I would like to leave one fully charged in the P2V but turned off. Do you think it will discharge or anything ? since its turned off.
Being the smart battery it still will discharge after so many days. I have mine setup for 4 days. default i think is 10 days. I pull my batteries out right after flight so they can start cooling down. I'm not sure what the temperature is on my P2 but on my P3 after a long flight it was 137 degrees and it was only like 80 degree air temperature. I would hate to see what it could get to on a hot day here.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4