It started to rain here

Several of us have experienced some degree of ice on the props. The few times I have it was very minor and I noticed no diminished performance but there was ice on the props none the less.

Conditions: Cold Props (cold air) spinning through moisture = Ice possibly forming on props (and shell and camera and. . . . )

Any idea what sort of air temps and moisture values are necessary to overcome the centrifugal force of a rotating prop? I’m not concerned with the shell and camera because they are relatively stationary.

My dude..please explain to me how and under what conditions icing forms on a propeller.

Since we fly in the extreme weather, we are always pushing the limits of the Wet Suit and Freezing Rain can form on the props but it has never effected the flight of the drone, but flying in extreme cold can be challegning when it comes to keeping the battery warm.

Phantomrain.org
Approved Vendor
Gear to fly your phantom 4 in and out of the storm.

Any idea what sort of air temps and moisture values are necessary to overcome the centrifugal force of a rotating prop?

? I don't understand that question at all, could you clarify please?

Prop icing is not about centrifugal force, it's about changing the cross-sectional profile of the propeller, which changes or disrupts the airflow, decreasing efficiency

Reactions: BigAl07
Any idea what sort of air temps and moisture values are necessary to overcome the centrifugal force of a rotating prop? I’m not concerned with the shell and camera because they are relatively stationary.

I have no clue... That's well above my pay grade. I'm a sUAS operator and physics are well outside my area of expertise.

The ice doesn't change the movement of the props through the air but could, in worse case scenario, change the shape of the prop (which is an airfoil) and decrease efficiency. Just like icing on a wing "deforms" the shape of the wing from ice buildup and greatly reduces lift creation.

*Edit: Or more accurately what @umanbean said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Since we fly in the extreme weather, we are always pushing the limits of the Wet Suit and Freezing Rain can form on the props but it has never effected the flight of the drone, but flying in extreme cold can be challegning when it comes to keeping the battery warm.

Phantomrain.org
Approved Vendor
Gear to fly your phantom 4 in and out of the storm.

Is there a difference between Freezing Rain and icing?

Also, at what temperatures have you encountered the challenges associated with maintaining battery warmth?

Is there a difference between Freezing Rain and icing?

If you look at this picture , you can see that the Rain has frozen on the drone , however that is not the same as wet snow that freezes and leave a crust of ice on the props.

The video is long so i did not post it. but it shows the Phantom flying in the freezing rain which is not an issue for the drone. We also have another video of the drone flying in the Freezing Snow with build up and that also was not a problem for the drone.

All the videos can be seen at Phantomrain.org

As far as battery warmth , any temps below zero , you need to keep the battery warm and get the drone flying quickly to warm that battery, the Phantom Rain Wet Suits do help Insulate the battery from the cold because of the seal it provides.

Reactions: Ansia and BigAl07
If you look at this picture , you can see that the Rain has frozen on the drone , however that is not the same as wet snow that freezes and leave a crust of ice on the props.

The video is long so i did not post it. but it shows the Phantom flying in the freezing rain which is not an issue for the drone. We also have another video of the drone flying in the Freezing Snow with build up and that also was not a problem for the drone.

All the videos can be seen at Phantomrain.org

As far as battery warmth , any temps below zero , you need to keep the battery warm and get the drone flying quickly to warm that battery, the Phantom Rain Wet Suits do help Insulate the battery from the cold because of the seal it provides.

View attachment 111162.

What sort of improvements have you measured with regard to improved heating?

When equipped, have you noticed an increase in performance while flying in Freezing Snow vs flying in non-freezing snow?

With all due respect, the questions you are asking have really nothing to do with the subject of this thread. If you really need to know the answers to questions about freezing and snow, please start your own thread?

Thanks

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
Slight disagreement. The thread topic reads “It started to rain here” and has since evolved into a beautiful conversation about the performance of a weatherproofing product in both fictional and non-fictional precipitation. I believe we’re completely on topic!

Beautiful website btw. PWS, was that image taken from the flight which also led to the video titled, Burst of Rain? Also loved the video titled Navy Tac Wet Suit with NEON blue battery seal. If a product is good enough for the Navy, it’s had to have met some pretty rigorous standards!

Last edited:
Slight disagreement. The thread topic reads “It started to rain here” and has since evolved into a beautiful conversation about the performance of a weatherproofing product in both fictional and non-fictional precipitation. I believe we’re completely on topic!
Fine, I'll just Unwatch this thread.

I have one of the participants on 'Ignore' anyway... maybe that's why I missed some of the 'beautiful conversation' ? Honestly, the tone of the thread title and post #1 smells like bait anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: PhantomWetSuits

Beautiful website btw. PWS, was that image taken from the flight which also led to the video titled, Burst of Rain? Also loved the video titled Navy Tac Wet Suit with NEON blue battery seal. If a product is good enough for the Navy, it’s had to have met some pretty rigorous standards!

Seems you signed up on MAR 19 2019 , Smells fishy to me.

Seeing that you already got Ignored by the other members I am going to ask you very clearly

Why would you LIE about the Wet Suit being good enough for the NAVY ?

Im going to ask that you delete that . as it has no merit.
I have reported it as we cannot have you making statements that are not true. ugh

IMG_1557537248.727986.jpg

My dude, is this not your website? But if we’re finished tossing around mistruths, I’d like to make a few clarifications.

1. Non-freezing snow does not exist. We call it rain.
2. Freezing rain is functionally different than rain that occurs when the temp is at 32 degrees.
3. Youngstown/Cleveland didn’t have a single day where the temperature dipped below 32 degrees in September of 2018, which I surmise is the where and when the flight you took that “freezing rain” screenshot from occurred based on posting date of the parent video.
4. Battery functionality with regard to overheating doesn’t generally diminish above -20C
5. Icing can occur from temperatures ranging from 0 to -20C. Icing also requires also dynamics to occur.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:
I have one of the participants on 'Ignore' anyway... maybe that's why I missed some of the 'beautiful conversation' ? Honestly, the tone of the thread title and post #1 smells like bait anyway.

Some people go fishing when they’re bored.

I appreciate you coming clean with us Arron, with all the bogus questions ,when you already knew all the answers. At least this will
end this thread . But because I named it Navy Tac you make false statements about the Wet Suit that are a Lie , Ends there for me.

No where does it state anything about the US Navy approved.

Being bored is no excuse for false accusations.

Perhaps a slightly less misleading title on behalf of the colorblind would be appropriate? Maybe some punctuation, who knows. (sic)

To be frank, I originally found your product intriguing, and had even considered purchasing it. So I asked questions pertaining to the equipment. I feel as a perspective customer, you bs’d or dodged every question I asked. That does nothing to inspire confidence in me with regard to a product.

Ultimately, you end up a little angrier, I end up with my opinion solidified, and we both go to sleep tonight somewhat disappointed.

Last edited:
Perhaps a slightly less misleading title on behalf of the colorblind would be appropriate? Maybe some punctuation, who knows. (sic)

To be frank, I originally found your product intriguing, and had even considered purchasing it. So I asked questions pertaining to the equipment. I feel as a perspective customer, you bs’d or dodged every question I asked. That does nothing to inspire confidence in me with regard to a product.

Ultimately, you end up a little angrier, I end up with my opinion solidified, and we both go to sleep tonight somewhat disappointed.

Noted:

So this drone was named after the Walther PPQ Navy Tac hand gun as I am a collector of all the Walther series .
The gun was ordered with the advanced trigger and to my surprise it came to the store with a Neon Blue Trigger. Thus the name was born for the Drone.

I suppose blue whale would have been better. lol

We have been selling the Phantom Wet suits for close to two years now. If you make money with your drone, the wet suit is a no brainer.
If its a hobby , its the best way to protect your drone.

If your looking for the details of Wiki links, to your questions than that is not me. I answer from flying in extreme weather and nothing more.

We fly everyday it rains, and snows and thunders and blows heavy winds as we live on the lake.
We video record as much as we can and have a library of over 50 videos on the Phantom 4 in the rain and the snow and swimming in the water.

Unfortunately making false accusations about the Navy Tac is not warranted.
We have been advertising on the forum for over a year now and no one has ever implied anything about the US Navy because of the name. No one.

I have asked you to delete the false accusation as we know and you know and everyone on this forum knows there is not Association to the US NAVY not by name or color.

To be frank: Those interested in the wet suit go to the website. They pick up that phone and call me , than place the orders.

If there are any Walther fans, you owe it to yourself to get the PPQ SC , dont be surprised if it becomes your absolute go to and you buy more than 1.

Approved Vendor
Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Phantom 4 in and out of the storm
440-315-4803
coal

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
This thread seems to be a "planted" add for Wetsuits. "How can i fly my drone in rain", followed by the solution "We have the solution for you!".. and all of them are part of the ad.

Don't like it.
I too find it odd that someone who joined this forum in 2016 has to ask about a drone wetsuit. I think the post was more likely just a hand grenade lobbed at us to stir up the inevitable argument it always does as opposed to a blatant attempt at stirring up business for the wetsuit guys.

In fairness to the vendor, I offer the following. At no point in my 15 year career as an operational wx forecaster have I ever cleared a manned or unmanned aircraft to operate in freezing rain (FZRA). The potential danger to both personnel and equipment while operating in FZRA has yet to be outweighed by the potential for mission accomplishment due to the absolute havoc it wreaks across all platforms. Flying in FZRA is unsafe. It has never been safe. It will never be safe. No clever application of colored stickers can ever make it safe.

To offer a product that claims to reduce that risk, without objectively verifiable data, is shady (sic) at best. In the event that someone crashes their drone while using your product, and the FAA gets involved, you’re going to have a bad time. If someone ends up getting injured or killed in that accident, you will either end up in court, or settling for an amount that you’ll never sell enough of these to cover.

TL:DR. Did not purchase as vendor was unable to prove that the technology reduced the risks of operating in actual extreme weather.

In fairness to the vendor, I offer the following. At no point in my 15 year career as an operational wx forecaster have I ever cleared a manned or unmanned aircraft to operate in freezing rain (FZRA). The potential danger to both personnel and equipment while operating in FZRA has yet to be outweighed by the potential for mission accomplishment due to the absolute havoc it wreaks across all platforms. Flying in FZRA is unsafe. It has never been safe. It will never be safe.

YES : And on that note of Dramatic sensationalism of flying in the Snow or Rain and killing someone there is this:

Here are some of the Amazing Benefits that the Wet Suit offer the Phantom 4 entire series of Drones

1: Wet Suit seals in the Battery , a loose battery is one of the #1 causes of a crash,

2: Locks in the Props so they dont fall off so easy when accidentally hitting tree branches and twigs very nice.

3: Locks in the leg Clips and gives them support from falling out and cracking.

4: Protects your undercarraige from sand , debris and small rocks.

5. Provides an entirely different look to your drone and a nice visual

6. If you do get caught in the pouring rain or snow, you dont have to panic , as we have shown for the last 2 years how the Wet Suits negotiate extreme weather.

So not only do we reduce the Risk of getting caught in bad Weather but the Phantom 4 Wet Suits reduce the of the drone falling out of the sky for technical reasons.

So if you get caught in STORM like this you will be good to go the next day. Storm after Storm the phantom get thu and flys the next day.

Storm pIctures are posted on Phantomrain.org

Last edited:
While it's a fact that humid air is less dense than dry air, the effect on airfoil performance is much less than, say, temperature or air pressure... and very little at that.

If precipitation affected the thrust of drone props to the point they would not produce adequate lift, then no other aircraft could fly in precipitation either - the wing of a fixed-wing aircraft is simply half a prop stuck to the side of a fuselage... very similar cross section... and the performance of both is based on Bernoulli's principle, of course.

On the other hand, I'll fly a drone in FileZilla UC Browser Rufus the rain when a major manufacturer comes out with a guaranteed waterproof drone that I can afford.
their used to be a vendor here that sold wet suits. i'll look for them and post back.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94