It started to rain here

Reaction score
I'm wondering if there's some type of wetsuit it will keep my drone from getting wet and crashing while I fly it.

Reactions: athearnsd45
I'm wondering if there's some type of wetsuit it will keep my drone from getting wet and crashing while I fly it.
their used to be a vendor here that sold wet suits. i'll look for them and post back.

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits

If you have a Phantom 4 series drone we have a display of Phantom Wet Suits on the webstie, however if you are flying a phantom 3 we dont have anything made for that model.

keep me posted if you have any questions or you can email me:
[email protected]

There is no better way to protect your Phantom 4 than getting A phantom 4 series wet suit.

Besides the obvious benefits of being able to fly in the rain it also provides some other benefits.

Seals and locks in the battery from falling out or getting loose , one of the #1 reasons why phantoms fall out of the sky on this forum
Locks in the Leg Clips on the legs , these clips are known for getting loose after several landings
Locks in the Props on the drone as loose props also have talked about on the forum as well.
Provides a nice Visual for those that video record and or fly your drone in the trees

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your drone in and out of the storm.

Reactions: Romy Baillo
We all know water and electronics don't mix but, there is another caveat to flying in rain, snow or fog. That is the lift your props create with the help of air flow. That airflow is drastically diminished during precipitation so if you don't want a surefire way to crash your drone then don't fly in the rain.

Reactions: Romy Baillo
We all know water and electronics don't mix but, there is another caveat to flying in rain, snow or fog. That is the lift your props create with the help of air flow. That airflow is drastically diminished during precipitation so if you don't want a surefire way to crash your drone then don't fly in the rain.

Joe can you provide technical documentation to support your claims? I've been in aviation for 4 decades and other than the "electricity and water don't mix" issue I've never had any problem with developing/maintaining lift in precipitation. The only time I had a problem was when we experienced severe icing on the wing and we were in an Emergency situation and have to declare an Emergency with ATC.

That airflow is drastically diminished during precipitation
While it's a fact that humid air is less dense than dry air, the effect on airfoil performance is much less than, say, temperature or air pressure... and very little at that.

If precipitation affected the thrust of drone props to the point they would not produce adequate lift, then no other aircraft could fly in precipitation either - the wing of a fixed-wing aircraft is simply half a prop stuck to the side of a fuselage... very similar cross section... and the performance of both is based on Bernoulli's principle, of course.

On the other hand, I'll fly a drone in the rain when a major manufacturer comes out with a guaranteed waterproof drone that I can afford.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tenisyn
Joe can you provide technical documentation to support your claims? I've been in aviation for 4 decades and other than the "electricity and water don't mix" issue I've never had any problem with developing/maintaining lift in precipitation. The only time I had a problem was when we experienced severe icing on the wing and we were in an Emergency situation and have to declare an Emergency with ATC.

I will try to find where I was reading about lift and drones and forward the information. If you are comparing a manned aircraft with wings that are far larger the props on a drone which are only a couple MM thick. Manned aircraft wings are (IMO) far better designed to control the air flow over the wing during precipitation..

the props on a drone which are only a couple MM thick.
Is the decrease in efficiency due to flex?

If you can find it that would be some interesting reading, thanks.

As I stated, cleaning house. Sometimes posts need to be cleaned up or removed by the Moderation team. If you have any more questions you're welcome to PM me but that's the end of the public discussion about what's been done on this thread.

Allen

When it comes to flying in Extreme weather we can tell you first hand that icing on the props are the only thing that can really challenge the drone other than than The Phantom 4 wet suits since it seals the battery allows you fly in the Rain without the worry of water getting inside.

This video kind of shows that most people underestimate the Phantom 4 ability likely do to people spreading fear or trying to.
We do not recommend this , but it should open your eyes to why we were able to make the Wet Suits in the first place for the Phantom 4 series drones.

When you seal the battery, the drone ability to negotiate extreme challenges is possible. thus how confident we have been about flying in a straight downpour for 26 minutes.

It is my understanding that precipitation interrupts the flow over the props.
While I'm sure it has an effect on the props to some small degree it doesn't make a significant difference. I've flown fixed wing, helo, and multirotors in rain and the only drawback I've encountered was water getting inside the aircraft and causing the Rx to malfunction leading to a sudden and high speed impact with Terra Firma.

We even have multirotors available for purchase that are water proofed (or maybe water resistant is more accurate) that fly in precipitation routinely (DJI M210, Splashdrone are 2 examples).

Reactions: umanbean
When it comes to flying in Extreme weather we can tell you first hand that icing on the props are the only thing that can really challenge the drone...

My dude..please explain to me how and under what conditions icing forms on a propeller.

My dude..please explain to me how and under what conditions icing forms on a propeller.

Several of us have experienced some degree of ice on the props. The few times I have it was very minor and I noticed no diminished performance but there was ice on the props none the less.

Conditions: Cold Props (cold air) spinning through moisture = Ice possibly forming on props (and shell and camera and. . . . )

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl