It Has Happened: Drone vs. Skyscraper

Doup Birdman but seeing as we are both from Delmarva I'll not grind your stones about it...hehe

WTF kind of DJI Phantom is THAT ???

So why do the police and FBI want to know who it belongs to, if there are few or no laws regarding its operation in that area? I'm sure that they're not expending this energy just to get the quad back to its rightful owner.

My point is simply that if no laws were broken, then neither the police nor the FBI have any business getting engaged with this. It should be up to the Phantom's owner to contact the building management to return his/her property, if it's wanted back.

CRankin said:
So why do the police and FBI want to know who it belongs to, if there are few or no laws regarding its operation in that area? I'm sure that they're not expending this energy just to get the quad back to its rightful owner.

My point is simply that if no laws were broken, then neither the police nor the FBI have any business getting engaged with this. It should be up to the Phantom's owner to contact the building management to return his/her property, if it's wanted back.

Exactly. Substitute kite, frisbee, balloon, baseball, paper airplane, etc. for drone.

Heck .... I'm just surprised the media didn't call it a "High Caliber, Baby Seeking, Anti-Christ Drone!!" .......
You know ... one of those tools of Beelzebub :twisted: that will break you mind, curve your spine ...... and keep us from winning the war on terrorism! :roll:

As far as the police and FBI ...... if the guy that got arrested in N.Y. for 'almost' hitting a person, is any indication ....apparently there are laws on the books that if you do something deemed "reckless" (and how's that for arbitrary term that you can be arrested for?) you can ..... in fact ...... be flippin arrested on a criminal charge .... and evidently at the Federal level! :eek:

Whether a D.A. decides to prosecute is probably a different story, but I suspect that this summer will test all that, and unfortunately some poor quad pilots are gonna be spending a lot of money to defend themselves.

Flyer91 said:
Heck .... I'm just surprised the media didn't call it a "High Caliber, Baby Seeking, Anti-Christ Drone!!" .......
You know ... one of those tools of Beelzebub :twisted: that will break you mind, curve your spine ...... and keep us from winning the war on terrorism! :roll:

As far as the police and FBI ...... if the guy that got arrested in N.Y. for 'almost' hitting a person, is any indication ....apparently there are laws on the books that if you do something deemed "reckless" (and how's that for arbitrary term that you can be arrested for?) you can ..... in fact ...... be flippin arrested on a criminal charge .... and evidently at the Federal level! :eek:

Whether a D.A. decides to prosecute is probably a different story, but I suspect that this summer will test all that, and unfortunately some poor quad pilots are gonna be spending a lot of money to defend themselves.

You forgot to use the term "High Capacity" and "Assault" or clip instead of magazine.....lol

Flyer91 said:

Don't forget...it'll shoot your eye out too! Funny how they use a somewhat more sinister looking craft for the pic.

ShoreBird said:
Flyer91 said:

You forgot to use the term "High Capacity" and "Assault" or clip instead of magazine.....lol

Yeah .... heaven protect us if we dare paint 'em flat black!! :lol:

if anyone is in Missouri, there is a free drone to the first person that claims it. :D

leave it to the press to get the drones model number and use an image of something totally different that I have never seen before.

Flyer91 said:

Well, I can see being cited and fined for doing something reckless... maybe even arrested, if it's truly reckless. I believe that some states allow LEOs to arrest for 'reckless driving' in a vehicle. I (and I'm sure many others) would argue that operating an evil, nefarious "drone" :eek: doesn't rise to the level of reckless driving, but ultimately, as you said, it's up to the DA (and maybe a judge and/or jury) to come to that conclusion.

Flyer91 said:

Unfortunately, I have to agree with this. It's probably not far off from having some poor souls being grabbed and harassed for doing something that most other reasonable people would otherwise deem to be a "stupid act". I wonder how quickly it will happen in DC... I've thought about taking my Phantom down there on a day that others are flying kites on the National Mall and taking it up (away from those kites, of course) to get some really nice pics of the Washington Monument. With the National Park Service's current illegal "ban" on UAVs, those, this might be a bit tricky. I might have to see if I can get a friend who works close by to see if we can get rooftop access to his building, and take off/land from there... Still not 100% sure that it's a good idea, but one can always fantasize. ;)

Naw .... I don't think they will arrest you for flying a Phantom off the mall in DC.
Probably just slap the Phantom with some "20 mike-mike from a roof mounted SEA-WIZ" (Phalanx CIWS) .... and nuke you 'till ya glow, then shoot you in the dark! ;)

Drones in DC has gotta make the SS boys a tad nervous ...... :shock:
Although I wouldn't try it myself ... I wouldn't mind seeing pantyhose panties give it a go ...... ;)

Doono said:
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/backyard-drone-operators-to-be-handed-guidelines-after-one-crashed-into-the-harbour-bridge/story-fni0cx12-1226904266990
Thats in Australia, they ban everything in Australia. All the popular video games that come out in the US get banned in Australia even before the launch dates.

I'm surprised they haven't banned Twitter yet like China.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Australia, its just all I ever hear from there is about something new being banned.

CRankin said:

Culpability

I know, you're going to ask "culpability for what?"

I'm sure they''ll find something.

ocphantom said:
Makes me think the "call xxx-xxx-xxxx for a reward" sticker can be a double edged sword
It is! Put a tracker on it and leave the transmitter at home when you go looking for it. If you find it pinning someone to the ground and a bunch of big dudes standing around, you can join in the confusion or walk away. If you're holding the matching transmitter and someone says, hey, this belong to you?!? Just sayin'

Geo

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl