It came today!!

Reaction score
The P3A came in the mail today! Very excited but cautious too given all the info I have read here. I'll be reading the documentation and going through all the appropriate calibrations prior to first flight. But I'm still excited!! :-D

Question: When I raised the P3 from the box the plastic piece that is supposed to hold the camera in place on the gimble was loose and fell off. In fact it was apparently not in place as it should have been. Is this something I need to be concerned with??

Reactions: snerd
No, mine was off and I would guess more than 50% were reported not being in place. Just remember to remove the white foam piece as well.

Mine was off too. I almost missed that foam piece as well. Enjoy! You will be amazed with this piece of equipment.

congratulations... sounds like you have the right attitude with documentation and calibration... you're gonna love it. The one thing I would add is if you are on FW 1.1.9 - I would read through the many threads on the new firmware before upgrading... you may decide you want to wait :)

congratulations... sounds like you have the right attitude with documentation and calibration... you're gonna love it. The one thing I would add is if you are on FW 1.1.9 - I would read through the many threads on the new firmware before upgrading... you may decide you want to wait :)
Now I'm sure I just read that if it prompted you to upgrade the firmware you would be "required" do the upgrade. Oh wait, I see.. it makes you basically accept a waiver if you choose not to. hmm...

Mine was off too. No biggie. Had to remove the foam piece as it was still in place. I only have about 25 flights under my belt. Be patient, take baby steps, follow all the tips on this site regarding battery break in, and calibrate your compass. I didn't do an IMU calibration till I updated the firmware. I am amazed everytime I fly it. Having a blast. Hope you will too!

Now I'm sure I just read that if it prompted you to upgrade the firmware you would be "required" do the upgrade. Oh wait, I see.. it makes you basically accept a waiver if you choose not to. hmm...

They (DJI) has a disclaimer that says you use and update the firmware at your own risk (I saw a thread on this the other day... I just didn't google it before I started typing) - anyway... they can't one one hand tell you you HAVE to update firmware and on the other hand tell you it's at your own risk.

This is just my opinion... you should do what you think best... I am just suggesting you might enjoy the flying experience more if you don't upgrade - although a lot of people have upgraded and experienced no problems. I have one I have upgraded and one I have not... I enjoy flying the one I have not upgraded better :) that's my 2 Cents and I am sure that's all the worth you should take from it :)

Edit - OH here's the thread: http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/this-says-it-all-about-dji-still-love-my-p3a-though.47271/

mine was also off when I pulled it out of the box. Other than a few small scuffs on the camera everything was ok. I guess the people at DJI don't take time to make sure it's on good when it is packaged.

Is the documentation lacking?? I don't see anywhere it tells you about a IMU calibration and when I googled it the other day I found a document with instructions but I don't think it was from DJI.

I know there is a user manual but it didn't come in the box. Just the Quick Start and the Safety guidelines were in the box.

I got my P3P last Monday. Upgraded the FW on the bird and controller to 1.2.0 and all is OK. I've flown it about 8 times now, seems pretty stable, she flies great. I'm really impressed with the video feed distance and stability, Lightbridge rocks. I'm also stoked about the ability to slow down the gimble pitch speed to a crawl in the settings. Nice touch by DJI, they have really addressed a lot of small things that can make a big difference at times.

Go to the DJI product site, Phantom 3, Downloads. You'll see a user manual listed. Download it and print it out. You'll also see documentation to do firmware updates if you choose.

Congrats! Get ready for a lot of FUN!! Update or don't update............ Just go fly after an IMU, gimbal and compass calibration.

Sent from my iPad Air 2 using Tapatalk Pro 3

Says firmware and camera needs to be updated but I can't tell what version currently is.

Dronebow, you can still fly without upgrading the firmware. DJI is working on fixing some issues in the current firmware, so you might want to hold off updating. Many are flying just fine with the current firmware too, so all might be okay for you too if you prefer to update it now.

Says firmware and camera needs to be updated but I can't tell what version currently is.
There are you tube videos on upgrading firmware. It really doesn't matter what version you're at because knowing what version you got now won't tell you anything, it's just a number. However, if you pull the SD card out there should be a text file on the card that I think will tell you the version you have. When you update the firmware a similar text file confirms the upgrade was successful.

I didn't calibrate my compass or gimbal it was fine out of the box(surprisingly) but I would recommend what everyone says to do... I went on short flights at first made sure the come home was working etc... It's a very nice drone

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic