Is this level of horizon tilt normal?

I had the same problem on my p3p. Mine just magically appeared for no apparent reason. I tried the IMU calibrations - mode no difference. I contacted DJI and they suggested returning the AC to them at no cost; it is under warranty. I elected to research on this forum and found the C2 combo camera settings adjustment is a permanent fix and takes just a minute or two. Just click on my posts and the steps are detailed. Have fun flying.

Sent from my SM-N920R7 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Neon Euc
SIMPLE HORIZON TILT FIX

I have followed all of the advice of an IMU calc on a dead level surface etc. That helped, but did not totally fix the issue. For me, the adjustment that was added to the Go app several updates back, rarely fixed anything, and often made it worse.

What has worked for me, every time without fail, is this simple little trick I learned from my self built rigs (they all do tilt at some point)

In flight, do a very quick hard yaw snap action, normally towards the low side of the horizon, but I have had to do both directions. By hard snap I mean all the way over, then back to center for about a 1/4 rotation.

Sometimes both directions is required, but it has never failed to fix my horizon, and then allowed me to continue to fly normally with a nice level horizon :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Neon Euc and matti
SIMPLE HORIZON TILT FIX

I have followed all of the advice of an IMU calc on a dead level surface etc. That helped, but did not totally fix the issue. For me, the adjustment that was added to the Go app several updates back, rarely fixed anything, and often made it worse.

What has worked for me, every time without fail, is this simple little trick I learned from my self built rigs (they all do tilt at some point)

In flight, do a very quick hard yaw snap action, normally towards the low side of the horizon, but I have had to do both directions. By hard snap I mean right stick all the way over, then back to center for about a 1/4 rotation.

Sometimes both directions is required, but it has never failed to fix my horizon, and then allowed me to continue to fly normally with a nice level horizon :cool:
You probably mean a hard roll action left or right.
I'll have to try that, though it won't be possible during a Litchi mission. I have noticed the problem in mine while flying with the nose in the left or right position (flying sideways)
The only fix for me is to have mountains on the horizon. Guess I can't fly in Kansas.o_O

You probably mean a hard roll action left or right.
I'll have to try that, though it won't be possible during a Litchi mission. I have noticed the problem in mine while flying with the nose in the left or right position (flying sideways)
The only fix for me is to have mountains on the horizon. Guess I can't fly in Kansas.o_O

Noooooo, not roll. YAW. I meant what I posted and I posted what I meant :p

Do your horizon reset before your Litchi mission

SIMPLE HORIZON TILT FIX

In flight, do a very quick hard yaw snap action, normally towards the low side of the horizon, but I have had to do both directions. By hard snap I mean right stick all the way over, then back to center for about a 1/4 rotation.

1. Does it have to be a hard yaw snap? Would one easy 360 degree rotation work?
2. Is your tilt you're fixing the kind that varies depending on the heading?

SIMPLE HORIZON TILT FIX

By default, moving the right stick left or right rolls the AC, and the left stick yaws unless you changed your default RC setup. That's why your post is confusing when you say yaw with the right stick.

1) thankfully no, otherwise every time you rotated, your horizon tilt would be off. Hard snap 1/4 turn normally to the low side of the horizon. But if that doesn't do it, go the other way.
2) I have not experience heading tilt? Talking about the crappy tilted horizons everyone gets, and posts in their pics and vids

A bit of an update...

DJI has granted an RMA for my gimbal tilt issue, and all that's left to do is box it up and ship it off to California. However, after reading the after-sales service policy, I'm a little hesitant. According to the policy with respect to warranty claims, my unit may be replaced entirely with a factory refurbished unit. While I have no issues with DJI repairing the components on my unit or replacing them with brand new ones, I don't want to be sent a factory refurbished unit or components for obvious reasons.

For those here that have made warranty claims of due to a faulty gimbal, were you sent refurbed parts?

I sent mine in for stress cracks and DJI replaced it, with what I assume is a refurb. My original one didn't have the horizon tilt problem, but the replacement does.

Noooooo, not roll. YAW. I meant what I posted and I posted what I meant :p

Do your horizon reset before your Litchi mission
You don't yaw with the right stick. The left stick yaws (rotates parallel to the ground).
The right stick tilts the P3 Left, Right, Forward or Rear.
So, either you did not mean yaw, or you did not mean right stick. I am just trying to understand what you mean.

Bud, my P3A varies all the time...even in RTH mode the horizon tilts left and right without any stick input. Have you ever heard of this?

1) thankfully no, otherwise every time you rotated, your horizon tilt would be off. Hard snap 1/4 turn normally to the low side of the horizon. But if that doesn't do it, go the other way.
2) I have not experience heading tilt? Talking about the crappy tilted horizons everyone gets, and posts in their pics and vids
I meant to ask if you're experiencing the horizon tilt would one easy 360 degree rotation fix it. I.e. instead of the hard yaw snap do a full rotation to fix it.

There are (at least) two kinds of horizon tilt. One is where there it's tilted the same way no matter the heading. The other is where the tilt is dependent on the heading.

The reason I'm asking these questions is that the P3 is supposed to know the correction required to make the camera level. That correction has both a roll and pitch component since the P3 is constantly adjusting roll and pitch. If the correction were to "drift" then the error would by observed as a horizon tilt that varies with heading. E.g. If heading east the horizon tilts down from left to right then heading west the horizon then tilts up from left to right. Not so noticeable is that facing south the horizon, although level, is lower than the horizon facing north. It's just a theory, but I was supposing that by rotating through 360 degrees the P3 would re-calculate that correction. It might take 2 or 3 rotations.

Bud, my P3A varies all the time...even in RTH mode the horizon tilts left and right without any stick input. Have you ever heard of this?
I've heard of it in the sense that it seems that the horizon tilt has occurred in just about every possible situation. The resident authority on this is @Oso Maybe he'll chime in.

Here's a link to a short clip when I was in RTH mode and not touching the sticks. As you can see, the horizon tilts left and right a lot...it's very frustrating.

Here's a link to a short clip when I was in RTH mode and not touching the sticks. As you can see, the horizon tilts left and right a lot...it's very frustrating.

I've noticed that anomaly with mine also . The aircraft over-corrects plumb which is apparently set during the IMU calibration. Maybe we aren't getting an accurate plumb setting at calibration. I would think the gimbal calibration is dependant on an accurate IMU calibration.
How do you know if you're providing the correct horizontal surface to calibrate when the P3 has sponge rubber feet and somewhat flexible landing gear? Maybe we should experiment with that. (Just spitballing here.)

I've noticed that anomaly with mine also . The aircraft over-corrects plumb which is apparently set during the IMU calibration. Maybe we aren't getting an accurate plumb setting at calibration. I would think the gimbal calibration is dependant on an accurate IMU calibration.
How do you know if you're providing the correct horizontal surface to calibrate when the P3 has sponge rubber feet and somewhat flexible landing gear? Maybe we should experiment with that. (Just spitballing here.)

I've calibrated the IMU 2 or 3 times with no improvement. My original P3A never had this problem. The replacement has done it from the start. I calibrated them both the same way, so I don't think the IMU calibration is the problem. I'm leaning toward a hardware problem.

An absolutely level surface isn't necessary for an IMU calibration. I know that some may disagree. But, to my knowledge, no one has provided a technical explanation why this is required. If the P3 were to be absolutely level while hovering it would drift off with the wind.

More to the point I once did an experiment where I did an IMU calibration with the P3 tilted at 1.5 degrees. Once in pitch, and the other in roll. As far as I could tell the flight characteristics were unaffected with either calibration. Thankfully, I don't normally have the horizon tilt problem. And, it wasn't introduced with either of these off level IMU calibartions.

BTW, I suspect the IMU calibration is mostly about measuring and then correcting the gyro errors.

An absolutely level surface isn't necessary for an IMU calibration. I know that some may disagree. But, to my knowledge, no one has provided a technical explanation why this is required. If the P3 were to be absolutely level while hovering it would drift off with the wind.

More to the point I once did an experiment where I did an IMU calibration with the P3 tilted at 1.5 degrees. Once in pitch, and the other in roll. As far as I could tell the flight characteristics were unaffected with either calibration. Thankfully, I don't normally have the horizon tilt problem. And, it wasn't introduced with either of these off level IMU calibartions.
BTW, I suspect the IMU calibration is mostly about measuring and then correcting the gyro errors.

I agree your experiment should have had a noticeable affect and it did not. Was the test done indoors, in atti and without VPS? That might exaggerate any symptoms.
I hope a DJI engineer (or similar) reads our musings and helps us out here. Wouldn't it be great if there was an adjustment we could tweak in the Go app settings. I just want to think adjustment rather than broken. After all the gimbal does work - for the most part.

I agree your experiment should have had a noticeable affect and it did not. Was the test done indoors, in atti and without VPS? That might exaggerate any symptoms.
I hope a DJI engineer (or similar) reads our musings and helps us out here. Wouldn't it be great if there was an adjustment we could tweak in the Go app settings. I just want to think adjustment rather than broken. After all the gimbal does work - for the most part.
Flying indoors? You must be kidding. My wife, and Bud (the cat), would never allow that:). The flights were just my normal flying I do around here. GPS-ATTI and no VPS.

I get the sense that it can't be fixed. That's why I was looking for a way to reduce, at least temporarily, the symptoms. It looks like @FunN4lo has had some success with this.

Reactions: Dounin Front

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20