Is there an optimum memory on SD card ?

Reaction score
I have periodically been having trouble with My SD card. Every now and again I have to reformat card. It keeps stopping working. I keep losing footage because if this. It is so frustrating when You get somewhere to do a flight, and even after reformatting, it won’t record onto card. Making yet another card useless. I never buy cheap ones. Either Sandisc or Verbatim.
But a friend told Me recently that He has read somewhere that a maximum of 64 gb should be used. Surely if this were the case. You wouldn’t have to search for such info. It should be clear in the instructions in box ? Has anyone else heard this. Of had similar problems ?
Thanks in advance, this forum is the best for fixing anything.

I have periodically been having trouble with My SD card. Every now and again I have to reformat card. It keeps stopping working. I keep losing footage because if this. It is so frustrating when You get somewhere to do a flight, and even after reformatting, it won’t record onto card. Making yet another card useless. I never buy cheap ones. Either Sandisc or Verbatim.
But a friend told Me recently that He has read somewhere that a maximum of 64 gb should be used. Surely if this were the case. You wouldn’t have to search for such info. It should be clear in the instructions in box ? Has anyone else heard this. Of had similar problems ?
See here: What is the max size SD card that can be used in the Phantom 3?

Found using the search function (magnifying glass, top right)

Reactions: blomdido
But a friend told Me recently that He has read somewhere that a maximum of 64 gb should be used. Surely if this were the case. You wouldn’t have to search for such info. It should be clear in the instructions in box ? Has anyone else heard this.
Perhaps your friend was reading the P3A specs? That's also mentioned in the P3A manual.

Even though, some people are using larger memory cards.

You can use larger cards but they don't work any better.
There is no optimum size.

That was really helpfull. Thanks. I’m going to go for multiple 64 gb cards. Also makes sense in case of loss if data.
Yep, that's a good point also. I was going to mention it too, but you've already spotted it for yourself... :)

That was really helpfull. Thanks. I’m going to go for multiple 64 gb cards. Also makes sense in case of loss if data.
Or you could use smaller cards.
Storing precious images on a big card and sending it back out is not a great idea if you value your work.

Reactions: RunningWithScissors
Or you could use smaller cards.
Storing precious images on a big card and sending it back out is not a great idea if you value your work.
+1! I used several 16gb cards. I record in my log which one I use for each flight (change it out before each flight) so I can rotate them just like I do batteries. I make it part of my standard routine to download the imagery to my laptop as soon as I get home and I reformat the card in the bird prior to taking off. Doesn't guarantee that I'll never lose any data, but should help reduce the risk.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl