Is there a way to make the Phantom 3 control do this?

Reaction score
I want my P3 controls to behave like a fixed wing instead of a rotary wing aircraft. Mainly, when I go left and right with the main control stick I want it to bank and turn like a fixed wing would do as long as it is moving forward. Not just slide left or right like a helicopter would do.

I think this would make FPV flying much easier. Is it possible?

Banking turns are just done with a combo of left stick, left or right. And right stick, forward and left or right.

I don't think there's a way to do this maneuver with one stick...

The controller does not do Mixing. You have to manually mix the inputs by using both sticks.

It should be an option in the controller. It will make it so much easier to fly FPV.

It's not a fixed wing, and and it's not exactly a hard manoeuvre to do with 2 sticks. Have you tried fpv mode?
It's something you are just going to have to get used to if you are coming from a fixed wing background I'm puzzled why you would think it's hard to do?

The Phantom isn't a fixed wing aircraft, so fixed wing manoeuvres are going to be a bit different. A banked turn requires two stick inputs, and feels bloody awesome when you pull off a good one.
Also, go into the phantom assistant, and select FPV Mode and the gimbal won't adjust so much for left or right tilt, and gives you a feeling of banking as you turn while flying FPV.

Reactions: Pumpfixer
For those of us who fly Helicopters or planks just do this naturally. I suppose if you've never flown before then this would seem difficult to do.
Practice on a sim eventually your thumb memory will develop and you'll just do the manoeuvres without thinking.

If you are flying fixed wing bank and yank you aint doing it right. You should coordinate turns with rudder. Try flying a cub with no rudder and gentle left bank
will result in a gentle right turn.

How you could fly which may be easier is to forget bank. Right stick is forward and left is height and turn?

Last edited:
For those of us who fly Helicopters or planks just do this naturally. I suppose if you've never flown before then this would seem difficult to do.
Practice on a sim eventually your thumb memory will develop and you'll just do the manoeuvres without thinking.

There's a very old phrase still used in fixed-wing training - "step on the ball." One of the instruments almost always found in a fixed-wing cockpit is the TURN COORDINATOR - it looks like a heavily curved carpenter's level. When the plane banks to the left (using ailerons), the "ball" will slide over to the left side of the gauge. Then you add left rudder until the ball is centered. You STEP ON THE BALL. Two keys - you keep stepping on the ball as long as you're making the turn and you don't do one and then the other - you do them both pretty much at the same time.

To make things more complicated, once the turn begins, the flight dynamics change, the plane starts to "sink" and you need to add some up elevator to compensate.

It sounds like there's a lot to remember, but it just takes a lot of practice. A real pilot has a huge advantage over a "sim" pilot - you can feel the climb/sink in the seat of your pants. Flying a sim or flying a quad - you don't get any physical feedback. I can bank the thing in a simulator. Doing it for real - find yourself a really, really big field - those first few attempts will take some space!

You should be able to use your video later to critique how well you're doing. As someone else wrote - it's a blast when you can do it properly. Although I'm not sure lugging around a $750 camera and gimbal makes for the right craft to be learning it! LOL

If you are flying fixed wing bank and yank you aint doing it right. You should coordinate turns with rudder. Try flying a cub with no rudder and gentle left bank
will result in a gentle right turn.

How you could fly which may be easier is to forget bank. Right stick is forward and left is height and turn?

Great if you like to fly 'Scale'.

I prefer Sport flying and bank and yank is definitely how to do it right.

Great if you like to fly 'Scale'.

I prefer Sport flying and bank and yank is definitely how to do it right.

Amen! If you can keep it in the air without scaring the passengers...
Frankly, if you're sport flying in your Phantom *and* the camera's on, the landscape is going to go by too quickly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic