Is there a Phantom Darwin award?

Reaction score
So, somewhere around 1 am this morning, I was watching a Youtube video on using waypoints to set a navigation course. Sounded interesting.

I found my house on Google maps. Turned on my controller, remote, iPhone and Phantom. I left the props on. (Can you guess where this is going?)

I went into camera view on the Vision app, and swiped over to the map. I had my home point, and set a couple of waypoints. Played with altitude on each, played with distances, etc. Basically trying to get the hang of it all.

Then I hit "Go".

What a surprise! The Phantom started to take off in my bedroom!

I didn't do the right thing, which would have been to cut the throttle. No, I reached out to grab it. From above. Cut the hell out of my hand.

Darwin would be proud.

A handy tip to prevent accidents like this -- always remove your props before turning on your Phantom when inside.

this is new - a GS flight inside.....

cutting the throttle most likely wouldn't have worked quick enough.... similar happened to me when I shut the RC off, bed RTH through my knee..

Lessons learned - when inside, no props

Last edited:
If it is is yours

You win. Darwin Award is your for the day. Hope you heal quickly and have learned the Darwin theory.

Yes, I recently posted about this.
I think its very dangerous that the unit with no warning can start up and start flying without motors powered on. And the remote doesn't need to be turned on. You would think It at least have a signal from the remote. Just my opinion (STUPID).

Yes, I recently posted about this.
I think its very dangerous that the unit with no warning can start up and start flying without motors powered on. And the remote doesn't need to be turned on. You would think It at least have a signal from the remote. Just my opinion (STUPID).

It's like "accidental discharges" with firearms. There's usually no such thing. Just "negligent discharges". I just wasn't thinking.

Reactions: LuvMyTJ
OK, little bit different but I get the point. I do have a firearm and sadden that it happens. I always look down the barrel before I put the safety on.

Think of this as like a car. You turn the key to the on position before you can continue to start the engine. You then have to tell it to move (put in the direction and accelerate). At anytime you can cancel these procedures.
This unit should not be able to start a flight with out communication from the primary controller.
There will be some serious injures from this.

OK, little bit different but I get the point. I do have a firearm and sadden that it happens. I always look down the barrel before I put the safety on.

Think of this as like a car. You turn the key to the on position before you can continue to start the engine. You then have to tell it to move (put in the direction and accelerate). At anytime you can cancel these procedures.
This unit should not be able to start a flight with out communication from the primary controller.

I hope you're looking down the barrel from the chamber and not the muzzle. ;)

I guess I look at this as a situation where the app says "GO" and the operator (me) thinks it's saying "it will go when you do X". Well, "GO" is the final command. I was even watching a video where the guy was showing how it worked. He hit "GO" and it took off.
doh.gif

Sorry but the manual page 44 says "when ready, tap GO to begin the mission a note say if aircraft is on ground, it takes off automatically and ascend to16 ft then fly to the first waypoint. Also on the bottom of the aircraft is a warning sticker ... Turn on RC first before the plane and power off the plane before the RC. Also on page 26 take off landing procedure item 2 for take off and item 9 after landing gives the sequence.. I'm not trying to be smart but I was verifying for myself that it was there. Been a long time since I read the manual. This made me want to go back and do a refresher course. I did and I found a couple of items I forgot about. This forum is users helping users and it's great!

I hope you're looking down the barrel from the chamber and not the muzzle. ;)

Sorry, I should had said muzzle, I am very sarcastic.

Hi, I have no problem with the instructions, I think there is a couple of options that could be changed for safety. I had my remote off on purpose when I did my test. I tend to look for (what if) scenarios. The point of the unit taking off without a remote was, it has the ability take off by itself. I feel the unit should have lock on the remote signal and only the remote can start the motors.

Common sense, an uncommon virtue.

I hope there's no permenant damage, Monkeyleg.

RodPad, why do you look down the barrel before engaging the safety?

Reactions: Marlin009
I obliterated my gimbal and cost myself $600 in repairs because I put some 3 bladed props on and gave the throttle a blip, just to test if they vibrated much (didn't own a balancer at the time) and because they produce more lift than I'm used to, it launched it full speed into my ceiling, where it then vacuum sealed itself, so instead of reaching up and pulling it down, I cut the throttle in larger and larger amounts, till the suction finally broke, and when it did break suction, she came down full pelt onto a hardwood floor. Totalled the gimbal, and was damned lucky not to damage the GoPro or anything else in the process.
I definitely think I won that week's Darwin award, though I didn't do any damage to myself, just to the quad, but it very nearly died in the process, so it should count as a Phantom Darwin award.

There is a correct procedure for starting a car. If you don't follow it, bad things can happen.

The same applies to Phantoms.

Common sense, an uncommon virtue.

I hope there's no permenant damage, Monkeyleg.

RodPad, why do you look down the barrel before engaging the safety?

Safety should be a none issue since you've checked 3 times that it is unloaded and the chamber is open.;)

Safety should be a none issue since you've checked 3 times that it is unloaded and the chamber is open.;)

How did you know that? And why put a safety on if rack is open, even if possible? None that I own allow safety on when open....

Exactly it's not that hard to really understand or get the warning signs until you crash or hurt yourself or someone what if you had company and it chopped her face off ooh but then again I do it regularly so it's not your fault **** happens they should have better direcrtions that you can understand especially when the Phantom could really hurt somebody then it's your fault get coverage I did it's worth it I'f you fly your drone alot

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers