Is there a defense against terrorist drones?

Iran was able to some how hack in to and capture a terrorist drone a few years ago.

Actually, I have 12 oz. cans of flash powder that will blow out automobile windows from 20 yards away that weigh less than a gimbal and Go Pro combined...
Easily dropped from from a Phantom...

p fandango said:
why has the issue of airbourne terrorism only just escalated, surely the same payloads could be carried by rc planes/helicopters that have been around for years

Actually, military drones carry missiles, etc. they have been responsible for many deaths, including innocents, even women and children.

But, the media is concerned about OUR drones! Even that photo implies the Phantoms can carry several pounds of explosives. The same kind of setup (3lbs of explosives) was at a government conference on civilian drones. It is just like our government not to test how much weight a Phantom can carry, before sending the message that they are weapon/bomb carrying devices.

I've heard there are YouTube videos of larger UAVs carrying and shooting rifles, pistols, etc. Such behavior will help destroy our hobby. When it reaches that stage, I hope to have purchased a relatively large wingspan VTOL plane. Actually, it CAN carry 2.5lbs of payload. But, neighbors will look up and think what a pretty toy plane. Or, look at him, he must be a good man since he isn't flying one of those drones!!!

Soon, if this continues, your neighbors will point at your UAV, scream and run inside to call 911 or shoot it down with a shotgun. Either way, they will feel proud to have played a part in making the country save. Or, the least worst is they will view you as a dangerous person who could be training for an attack with that "dangerous thing!"

Sorry. This incident with a GOVERNMENT employee landing a Phantom, on the White House lawn, could be a big blow. Yet, is our Secret Service and the president so stupid not to have thought before about this? Most likely. :)

I hate Android cell phones. I hope someone creates a Android cell phone bomb so they can bann the stupid laggy OS.

Funny thats pretty much how I feel about all apple nsa spy products. I dont know what any one would even want to be even near one well alone have one esp after the revaluations that have come out that the goverment thinks the best part about them being the ultimate spying tool is. In there one words they really like the fact that people even go out and pay for there own spying devise.

2.4GHz and 5.8GHz jammers would surely see off any drone. There's a guy on YouTube who shows how to make a 2.4GHz jammer from eBay video transmitters which fits in a cigarette packet.

p fandango said:
why has the issue of airbourne terrorism only just escalated, surely the same payloads could be carried by rc planes/helicopters that have been around for years

The payload capacity has existed for years but this often-repeated argument doesn't seem relevant to me.

I have a lot of respect for RC hobbyists and their skills. One does not become an RC Pilot overnight. With the Phantom and its competitors, one can become a drone operator in an afternoon. Add GPS capabilities to the equation as well.

New drone technology has moved RC aircraft from the hobby category to the consumer category. That is the difference, and the reason the issue of airborne terrorism has escalated.

PhantomFanatic said:
Actually, military drones carry missiles, etc. they have been responsible for many deaths, including innocents, even women and children.

But, the media is concerned about OUR drones! Even that photo implies the Phantoms can carry several pounds of explosives. The same kind of setup (3lbs of explosives) was at a government conference on civilian drones. It is just like our government not to test how much weight a Phantom can carry, before sending the message that they are weapon/bomb carrying devices.

I've heard there are YouTube videos of larger UAVs carrying and shooting rifles, pistols, etc. Such behavior will help destroy our hobby. When it reaches that stage, I hope to have purchased a relatively large wingspan VTOL plane. Actually, it CAN carry 2.5lbs of payload. But, neighbors will look up and think what a pretty toy plane. Or, look at him, he must be a good man since he isn't flying one of those drones!!!

Soon, if this continues, your neighbors will point at your UAV, scream and run inside to call 911 or shoot it down with a shotgun. Either way, they will feel proud to have played a part in making the country save. Or, the least worst is they will view you as a dangerous person who could be training for an attack with that "dangerous thing!"

Sorry. This incident with a GOVERNMENT employee landing a Phantom, on the White House lawn, could be a big blow. Yet, is our Secret Service and the president so stupid not to have thought before about this? Most likely. :)

We need to look beyond the make and model here. Maybe the Phantom 2 can't lift 3 lbs of explosives today. But perhaps the Phantom 3 will be able to tomorrow. I just saw a video for the Turbo Ace Matrix claiming 6 lb payload capacity, 2 mile FPV range and 45 minutes of flight time. Even if these claims are optimistic, this kind of performance is surely coming.

Clipper707 said:
Maybe the Phantom 2 can't lift 3 lbs of explosives today
There's no maybe about that. With current battery and motor technology, multicopters aren't able to lift weights AND fly distance.
The Turbo Ace can carry 6 lbs OR fly 45 minutes but it can't do both. Weight equals a huge tradeoff in endurance.

But the DHS either believes a Phantom can carry 3lbs of explosive or they know it can't but choose carry out fraud to scare people into believing it can and that Phantoms are dangerous. The same goes for the ridiculous Youtube of aussalt rifle armed multicopters that they take seriously. Hard to tell if that's just ignorance on their part or a campaign to turn people against small drones. Either way is a far from ideal situation.

You're missing the point of my post. The thread question reads "Is there a defense against terrorist drones" and not "is there a defense against terrorist Phantoms?"

Again, we need to look beyond the make and model and consider performance capabilities, both now and tomorrow.

fastsmiles said:
Good observation, but how would you defend against it?
An anti-drone drone would be fun but probably not very effective.

I live in Louisiana and there is a big open area over a marsh where lots of people go to fly their drones. This fall was the start of duck season. You can guess the rest. 30 some odd drones were shot down by duck hunters. For those of you not familiar with duck hunting, hunters build a duck blind out of marsh grass which disquises them from ducks.They blinds just look like part of the marsh and you cant see them. Apparantly they work just as well for drones

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl