****... Is the P3 a flawless machine?

What bugs me more than a Chinese manufacturing problem is the lack of after sales support in the US. If there is a problem, I expected it to be handled like any $1000+ brand new equipment: quickly, for free and with apologies included. I have so many good experiences of warranty services on foreign equip done by US representatives (Canon, sony etc), I cant believe DJI dropped the ball like this. They should at least offer an exchange/replacement quickly or allow third party services not to void the warranty. As I keep saying, this is more of a police/lawsuit situation and if people started gathering here for a group action of sorts, I would be one to sign.
In my opinion you are right on in your last statement about DJI. I don't see how anyone can refute what you have just said. In my case, I'm going to write to DJI tomorrow morning one more time to see if'/what they are going to do to repair my drone. I'm going to give them time to respond. If I don't get satisfaction, I'm planning to seek legal council on what can be done to send a message to DJI.

Legal remedies are very expensive - any lawyer that was going to take such a case would ask for a retainer far larger than the cost of a P3.

Of course - no one can disagree that DJI support sucks. They simply cannot currently keep up with their high growth rate...and they have not (until recently) clearly understood the expectations of American customers.

At this point quads are NOT like other consumer electronics. We can wish it so....but they are not. They require patience, education, great care, practice and - when they break - even more patience.

That's the story right now. It may change in 2016. On the positive side, all these hoops keep some out of the hobby - so our favorite fields aren't crowded yet!

Legal remedies are very expensive - any lawyer that was going to take such a case would ask for a retainer far larger than the cost of a P3.

Of course - no one can disagree that DJI support sucks. They simply cannot currently keep up with their high growth rate...and they have not (until recently) clearly understood the expectations of American customers.

At this point quads are NOT like other consumer electronics. We can wish it so....but they are not. They require patience, education, great care, practice and - when they break - even more patience.

That's the story right now. It may change in 2016. On the positive side, all these hoops keep some out of the hobby - so our favorite fields aren't crowded yet!
You are kidding, right? How much does it cost them to make a P3 in China? My estimate is $2.00. Their workers make cents per hour and a P3 is 90% plastic. What about their warranty on these things? Are they going to honor that? Who knows the answer to that question? If a Law firm started a class action suit against them (DJI), thousands of customers would sign on. The local hobby shop where I bought mine, the owner of the shop said he only makes about $100 profit. He stopped selling them because people were bringing them back wanting refunds because they didn't work. He stopped carrying them. He will order them if someone asks for one but he is not going to stock them.

Last edited:
Reactions: ems1016
You are kidding, right? How much does it cost them to make a P3 in China? My estimate is $2.00. Their workers make cents per hour and a P3 is 90% plastic. What about their warranty on these things? Are they going to honor that? Who knows the answer to that question? If a Law firm started a class action suit against them (DJI), thousands of customers would sign on. The local hobby shop where I bought mine, the owner of the shop said he only makes about $100 profit. He stopped selling them because people were bringing them back wanting refunds because they didn't work. He stopped carrying them. He will order them if someone asks for one but he is not going to stock them.

Exactly... $1500 is $1500. It they cant honor their warranty they should stop selling and start refunding people. Just this week I had a 10yrs old $100 Leatherman tool that broke in half replaced for free, under warranty in less than a week. Totes umbrella, brand new product replacement for a broken pin, less than a week. Canon EF lens (~2000), broken glass after a drop.... $100 cost to replace and they even repainted blemishes and fixed dents (Amazing Canon service).

Bottom line is I am in awe with the lack of care, DJI is a joke! I sincerely hope this adventure is the begining of their end. Some day I hope to see a serious comoany in this business, but this is far from it,

DJI may be riding the crest of a wave....but already the clones are appearing....and I don't mean the $150 versions....have you seen the latest Cheerson at under a grand?
A lot of the programming modes are also being cloned...RTH etc, more lower priced quads with GPs etc.
Disgruntled P3 owners, may just place orders elsewhere in the not too distant future.....

Reactions: imadago and hot dog
You are kidding, right? How much does it cost them to make a P3 in China? My estimate is $2.00. Their workers make cents per hour and a P3 is 90% plastic.

Yeah, and my computer is really just a pile of sand organized into black squares. You should read up on Chinese labor. Not quite as cheap as it used to be.

Cost of materials and assembly is going to be well above $150. Probably more like $200. Factor in costs for machining, tooling and R&D and you're probably at about $400. Support? Maybe that's where they only spend $2.

I can understand valid numbers and arguments - but having had products manufactured in China, it is not inexpensive. In fact, the iphone could be built in the USA for about $40-$50 more (of course, we could never get the workforce of millions to do it).

Who knows if DJI is riding a wave or not? The facts remain - they are the only game in town currently. I've spent 3 years studying every new Walkera, FreeX (cheerson, etc.), Parrot, etc. to come down the pike. None of them have a clue about selling to the mass market.

As far as lawsuits - anyone is free to do so. That's part of the agreed upon foundations of international trade. A class action suit will give lawyers tens of millions of dollars and you and I will get a coupon fr $50 off our next DJI purchase (really!). That's the way those things work....I've gotten lots of settlements from lawyers suing apple and other companies. I think I even got a check for $11 once.

The 1K camera/drone market is likely to be 90% DJI in 2015/2016 with perhaps GoPro and others carving out a small piece going forward. I think DJI is figuring on about 70% when it all shakes out in the future. Like it or not, that's the current story. As they say in sports, it's DJIs to lose. If they mess up really bad (and, no, a local dealer with his sob stories does not count), they will lose market share. If they deliver what we want, they will gain our $$.

None of us - especially myself - can argue with the market. DJI is selling 20K machines each week while all the others together aren't selling 3,000. There is a reason.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94