Is Litchi safer than GO?

Reaction score
Occasional P3A flyer here, just five/ten times a year.

I’m on three heavily wooded acres, and can only launch/land through an open tree area from my deck.

Loss of sight is almost immediate with any distance. Yes, I know about VLOS concerns.

All the same, I keep distances pretty short on flights... but is is still largely beyond sight due to heavy oak and hickory trees. I fly regularly at 180 feet.

My question is, am I correct to assume Litchi Waypoints is safer than DJI GO gps flight?

If I lose gps on GO, I’m now in out of sight ATTI. Not good, not good at all.

If the same thing happens on a Litchi Waypoint mission, she would still find her way home.

Is this all correct, or am I missing something?

Heck, maybe I’m thinking of losing downlink telemetry and not gps...

Last edited:
If the same thing happens on a Litchi Waypoint mission, she would still find her way home.
Loosing GPS on a mission will have the same results. The aircraft has no idea where it is. Full RC signal loss is different. It will continue the mission until completed.

Heck, maybe I’m thinking of losing downlink telemetry and not gps...
That must be what you were thinking, however loosing downlink has no effect on anything other than video feed and telemetry. When flying in FPV, RTH will occur upon loss of UPLINK for 2+ seconds. In a Litchi mission, as mentioned above, the mission will continue regardless of complete signal loss until the end of mission action.

That must be what you were thinking, however loosing downlink has no effect on anything other than video feed and telemetry. When flying in FPV, RTH will occur upon loss of UPLINK for 2+ seconds. In a Litchi mission, as mentioned above, the mission will continue regardless of complete signal loss until the end of mission action.

Thanks... Got it. Need the occasional refresher!

I guess loss of gps is rare. I don’t recall experiencing it.

But I read about it here all the time, or so it seems!

I guess loss of gps is rare. I don’t recall experiencing it.
Partial loss is not that uncommon. Complete loss is extremely rare.

If you take off with enough satellites in view, it's not likely you'll lose GPS unless there's a hardware malfunction, or you fly it under something that blocks the quads view of the sky... like staying too long under a bridge or something.

Losing com signals, up or down links, is something else altogether.

As to whether Litchi is safer than Go I would say no, just different... and I do love those waypoint flights :D

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl