Is it safe to use Tethering/Mobile Hotspot option while flying?

Reaction score
I have a Nvidia Shield tablet (without cell option) and I'd like to know if it would be safe to connect the tablet to my Samsung Note 3 acting as a "Mobile Hotspot" to be able to load current P3 location maps while flying?

Anyone tried it already?

it's fine.....
Best option would be to go to tether settings in note3 and click advanced settings and have it tether on the 5ghz frequency instead of 2.4ghz...just to keep the 2.4ghz spectrum as clear as possible.

open hotspot (app) you'll see the page explaining hotspot then click menu or press 3 dots top right and select configure then scroll the tab that pops up and place check in "show advanced options" then select your band.

What " hotspot app"?
Ok found it!
1- Turn On Mobile Hotspot
2- Click on Mobile Hotspot Option
3- Click Menu/Configure/Show Advanced Options
You'll then see 2.4 and 5, just pick the 5.

Great! Thanks a lot. :)

Now is it possible the do Mobile Tethering using Bluetooth?

I have the Nvidia Shield (non lte) and i create a hotspot with my Galaxy S5, there is no option to change frequency of the hotspot (lollipop 5.0)
All i do is create the hotspot on the S5 and tether to the Shield.
Load up dji pilot, camera and click on the map.
Zoom in and scroll all around the area you will be flying.
Turn off hotspot on S5 and Shield tether.
The shield now has the local map in cache and this way there is no chance of any interference from anywhere.
Job done. :)

For samsung lollipop....slightly diff kitkat but same options.
Screenshot_2015-05-28-14-00-38-1.jpg
Screenshot_2015-05-28-14-00-46-2.jpg
Screenshot_2015-05-28-14-01-00-1.jpg
Screenshot_2015-05-28-14-01-12-2.jpg
Screenshot_2015-05-28-14-01-29-1.jpg
Screenshot_2015-05-28-14-01-34-1.jpg

Ok found it!
1- Turn On Mobile Hotspot
2- Click on Mobile Hotspot Option
3- Click Menu/Configure/Show Advanced Options
You'll then see 2.4 and 5, just pick the 5.

Great! Thanks a lot. :)

Now is it possible the do Mobile Tethering using Bluetooth?
Yes, i tether using Bluetooth on my S5.

Why do you need to load maps while flying?
You can cache a very large area at home on wifi for wherever you want to fly. There's no need to load maps while flying.
I know, I was just wondering if it was possible to do it, in case I ever need it.

I went a different route. Picked up a T-mobile Tablet (used) iPad Mini 2. Get Sim card, T-mobile gives 200mb a month free data for life (no charge). 200mb is more than enough a month to download maps.

I suppose tethering using Bluetooth won't affect the Lightbridge signal at all compare to "normal" tethering, so it would be a lot safer, right?
Not sure but like i say i just turn it off, there is no need to keep it switched on once the local map is in the cache, when youtube streaming is available you would then need it left on if you wish to stream.

I suppose tethering using Bluetooth won't affect the Lightbridge signal at all compare to "normal" tethering, so it would be a lot safer, right?
Once your tethering on 5ghz NO interference w Lightbridge.....Bluetooth won't interfere either but will be slower and may cause more heat in the device than the wifi radio

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.