Is it possible that just maybe Phantom 3's falling from sky and griping is competition?

Reaction score
The Phantom 3 is very competitive with all the drones coming out. It clearly is out in front in terms of technology, video capability, flight time, and live HD stream. Is it just possible, just maybe, that some of these reports of Phantoms falling from the sky and some of the negativity on the message boards is from competitors trying to cast doubt on the Phantom 3 to reduce sales?

I don't have any evidence either way, but maybe some of you have some thoughts on this.

Think about how fast and furious rumors and dread can spread on the basis of only a handful of "my Phantom fell out of the sky for no reason" claims and negativity.

Just something to think about...

3DR tried to give me one to crash and post all over the interewebs about the crash, but I declined the offer. lol

I read about the P2V+ falling from the sky, or flying away, or stealing kittens, but I still bought 2. Beautiful thing about free will is once one gets past the cry babies and naysayers one gets to make one's own decision. Multiply that by the population of the world who have the means for a $1k toy and that's a lot of drones.

I read about the P2V+ falling from the sky, or flying away, or stealing kittens, but I still bought 2. Beautiful thing about free will is once one gets past the cry babies and naysayers one gets to make one's own decision. Multiply that by the population of the world who have the means for a $1k toy and that's a lot of drones.
1+ Is that where my kitten went? LOL

Reactions: dalebb
It would seem if it was a concerted effort by any of the compatishon to try and over hype phantom 3 crashes that there would be more then just the 3 or so crash reports in the last few days.

But its not like the over all % of any phantoms that do indeed fall out of the sky or crash for various reasons can be said that its the norm for a phantom even if every crash and burn report is true. and also even if they only had a 1% fail rate its going to seem like a lot of crashes being I'm sure 1% of how every many there are out there is going to be a big number of them in terms of the totally number that even 1% would work out to be.

All these Phantom 3's falling from the sky? I have only read about two for sure and maybe mention of one more. But like one of my favorite radio hosts always says, 3 people reported their Phantom 3 has fallen from the sky, that means 3 billion Phantom 3's have actually fallen from the sky, or so people will think.

Say 30000 were shipped, 3 fall. That is 0.01%. 30 fall is 0.1% and so on. To really make an impact, they would at least have to crash 150 or so.

The Phantom 3 is very competitive with all the drones coming out. It clearly is out in front in terms of technology, video capability, flight time, and live HD stream. Is it just possible, just maybe, that some of these reports of Phantoms falling from the sky and some of the negativity on the message boards is from competitors trying to cast doubt on the Phantom 3 to reduce sales?

I don't have any evidence either way, but maybe some of you have some thoughts on this.

Think about how fast and furious rumors and dread can spread on the basis of only a handful of "my Phantom fell out of the sky for no reason" claims and negativity.

Just something to think about...

There is no doubt that an industry this big will spawn this type of game playing between companies.
How much it occurs, who knows, but no question it occurs.
We already see the flow of DJI haters doing everything possible to discredit the unit, and they aren't even affiliated with competition.
You have to wonder how many fly aways, or units dropping from the sky are just haters or competition that don't even own one.... :)
I've seen several threads where they claim unit failure, but somehow never turned on the video.....

I know there are DJI haters for whatever reasons. There are 2-3 I have seen here and on rcgroups. But I doubt any reputable companies are hiring hit men. There is nothing to be gained and everything to lose for a company that has investors.

Comment about 3DR was a joke, I am sure.

DJI don't need any help when it comes to crashing Phantoms. They've got us, the users! Or, well... them, the people who fly them without reading the forum first. We're smarter than that! :D

Also, you need to be prepared that something can go wrong with the equipment. There's no redundancy. 4 motors, 4 ESCs. A complicated array of sensors that all need to work perfectly to keep your craft in controlled flight. After 200+ flights on my P2, it happened to me:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The IMU pooped its pants and my P2 darted for the ground all of its own accord. It killed the Lightbridge unit, the gimbal and the Hero4 Black (and annoyingly, it grenaded the actual video of the crash). About $1,300 later, I'm back in the air.

Reactions: bbfpv
I was flying my P3 today and also had it fall out of the sky. The battery level was at 80%, it was connected to several GPS, and it appeared to be flying normally, when all of a sudden it just started dropping from the sky until it hit the ground, destroying the entire unit. I have over 3000 hours flying certified and licensed flights by Transport Canada, and I can 10000% assure you this was not caused by pilot error.

I am wondering if it is possible that an error with the DJI Pilot App could cause the drone to stop working properly? Like if the app crashes on the phone while the drone is in the air, what happens?

It's kind a like a motorcycle maybe you've never crashed but one day you will. What goes up must come down it's inevitable that these things crash by human error mostly but they're not perfect.

DJI don't need any help when it comes to crashing Phantoms. They've got us, the users! Or, well... them, the people who fly them without reading the forum first. We're smarter than that! :D

Also, you need to be prepared that something can go wrong with the equipment. There's no redundancy. 4 motors, 4 ESCs. A complicated array of sensors that all need to work perfectly to keep your craft in controlled flight. After 200+ flights on my P2, it happened to me:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The IMU pooped its pants and my P2 darted for the ground all of its own accord. It killed the Lightbridge unit, the gimbal and the Hero4 Black (and annoyingly, it grenaded the actual video of the crash). About $1,300 later, I'm back in the air.
Look at that big glass building you are flying next to. It's just a matter of time before the GPS lock would bounce off the wrong way and send it into a building or drop.

I have several witnesses that can confirm that the drone was in a hover at about 80 ft, when all of a sudden it started falling rapidly. I wasn't even touching the sticks when it started falling. We were outside in the middle of a field with nothing obstructing the view from the transmitter.

Last edited:
Look at that big glass building you are flying next to. It's just a matter of time before the GPS lock would bounce off the wrong way and send it into a building or drop.

Clearly you don't know how GPS and sensor fusion work.

Reactions: TeamYankee
Well I don't know if there falling from the sky but I own 2 a advanced and a Pro and as of today Im unable to fly any as the Pro went to DJI Calif weeks ago for a gimbal issue and bad vibration not from props,
Now after checking for the darn crack issue on my advanced I see both back arms are cracked and one even has a hole So called Amazon got a return and refund. Now Have to wait till next week when they get there next Shipment in
Dam I own 2 and still no flying

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:mad:

Well I don't know if there falling from the sky but I own 2 a advanced and a Pro and as of today Im unable to fly any as the Pro went to DJI Calif weeks ago for a gimbal issue and bad vibration not from props,
Now after checking for the darn crack issue on my advanced I see both back arms are cracked and one even has a hole So called Amazon got a return and refund. Now Have to wait till next week when they get there next Shipment in
Dam I own 2 and still no flying

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:mad:
That stinks-- sorry you are having the issues

Reactions: skyhighdiver
I've been counting the posts of the Weekend horror stories that pop up. Most if not all have 10 posts... or 13 posts before the complaint.
Some have 1 or 5.
The 10 and 13 posts are more common.
Keep an eye out you will see what I mean.
Yes we have trolls in our mist.... Finding them is getting harder as they are using correct key words.

I'll leave it at that....

038f779137a37a9ec64597752854e221.jpg

I love kitten lifts. Best way to blow off some steam in the park. [emoji192]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic