Is FrSky Taranis arguably better than Futaba?

Khudson7 said:
PhantomFanatic said:
What is the comparison of price between both radios with the same number of channels, from 9 up? What is the maximum number of channels that your's has available?
The Taranis is

approx $200 give or take
There are several Futabas but it appears to me that the ones most are using here, range from about $350(10J), up to about $600(14SG)

Taranis has 16 channels when matched to a 16 channel receiver like the Frisky X8R(SBUS)...

BUT if you want the radio with the most channels, (if channels are your thing) there is a Futaba (18MZ) 18 channel for only about $3000 U.S. :oops:

You can get a spectrum dx18 for a lot less than 3k if you want a cheaper option

locoworks said:

Yes, and I admit, to making another stab at Futaba, for their ridiculous pricing.

I may be wrong(and I am sure someone will point this out) but the discussion of how many channels a radio has on a phantom forum is a bit of overkill.

Although I know of a few add-ons to a phantom that might need an extra channel or two, over the 7 or so it uses now, I can not see any way these amounts of channels would be needed, at least on a phantom. BUT one advantage one could argue is, with the 16 channels available on the Taranis, this is a radio that will nicely extend to others Quads, planes, and/or hell's that could use and need that many channels. The radio will grow with you, as or when, you decide to upgrade further. It will support a long list of different models, each programmed differently, each model in memory, and you can switch the model in the radio as easily as just selecting it off of a list. (Also as I mentioned earlier, having the radio recognize that many channels, even if the receiver is not using them all, allows for some additional trick programming in the radio.)

@Khudsan7.

The radio really comes into its element when used with the APM and Pixhawk flight controllers. I fly an APM2.5 in one of my fixed wing planes which has a plethora of different flight modes - manual, stabilized,loiter, follow me, circle, waypoints, flybywireA/B etc -. The strap clip can be removed and a multi- position rotary switch can be mounted in its place for easy access to the different modes.

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned is the ability to switch to other systems such as Spektrum and the numerous UHF LRS standards by plugging a suitable module into the back of the Taranis. I use it to fly some of the Walkera heli's and quads using a Devention module and Horizon Hobbys / Parkzone BNF's using HobbyKings OrangeRX DSM module. I've even seen one innovative guy build his own module so he can fly his collection of Hubsan quads from his Taranis.

Regards

Nidge

Nidge said:
@Khudsan7.

The radio really comes into its element when used with the APM and Pixhawk flight controllers. I fly an APM2.5 in one of my fixed wing planes which has a plethora of different flight modes - manual, stabilized,loiter, follow me, circle, waypoints, flybywireA/B etc -. The strap clip can be removed and a multi- position rotary switch can be mounted in its place for easy access to the different modes.

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned is the ability to switch to other systems such as Spektrum and the numerous UHF LRS standards by plugging a suitable module into the back of the Taranis. I use it to fly some of the Walkera heli's and quads using a Devention module and Horizon Hobbys / Parkzone BNF's using HobbyKings OrangeRX DSM module. I've even seen one innovative guy build his own module so he can fly his collection of Hubsan quads from his Taranis.

Regards

Nidge
WOW Nidge, I feel like a “baby” in this hobby compared to some of the things you have done/are doing.

I have been arguing about the bulletproofness of this radio compared to (what’s its name) and the much greater programmability available on the Taranis, as that is what has mostly impressed me. This superior programmability available on the Taranis, whether one is deeply into that, or one wants to just grab what others are doing in the open source world and be able to plug it in…makes it such an incredibly valuable radio.

But you, RIGHTFULLY, have pointed out what I have seen so many other hard core enthusiast on other RC groups raving about, this additional flexibility both built into and available for this radio, like NO other, out there.

As I continue to move forward in my learning and enjoyment of this hobby, I look forward (when I grow up) to being able to do some of the things you are doing.

Thanks so much for your input, advice on that cable, and for mentioning the Taranis Facebook group of which I was not aware. I am now a member.

Khudson7 said:
locoworks said:

Yes, and I admit, to making another stab at Futaba, for their ridiculous pricing.

quote]

futaba have kept the rolls Royce pricing but lowered their standards a bit. many years ago futaba had made in japan on the side of receivers, now it is china or Taiwan, cant remember which, but QC isn't what it used to be. I can see myself getting a taranis and benching the ZAP even though I just ordered a DFT module for it.

Nidge said:
@Khudsan7.

Regards

Nidge

Nidge... I'm looking for a Spektrum DSM2 DSMX compatible module for the Taranis. Do you know of any sources?

Thanks...
-slinger

Hi Slinger

This is the module I use:

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__ ... ible_.html

I purchased it about the same time I purchased my first transmitter, a Turnigy 9xR, and used it with great success on my first fixed wing which was the Lanyu FPV Raptor which I installed an OrangeRX six channel receiver.

Since purchasing my Taranis I have invested in the XJT system and telemetry but I still use the Orange module for my small MultiWii based quad and smaller park flyer type fixed wing stuff.

It is spec'd as both DSM2 and DSMX but I have yet to use a DSMX receiver with it.

Regards

Nidge

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik