Is Flying Without Landing Gear Possible?

Reaction score
It would reduce a little weight and make it easier to shoot gaps when flying fpv. I know this is not a racing quad or anything but I think it would make it a little less bulky and more fun when you aren't doing aerial photography. The only problem that you run into is the compass placement. I was thinking maybe adding a plastic or aluminum "tail" to hold the compass out from the main electronics, as they may disrupt the compass. Has anyone ever attempted something like this? Is there a better way? What are you guy's thoughts?

Need antenna placement for the FPV antenna also as well as the compass. Coming from the bossy they are more rigid. Don't think the weight of the landing gear is going to add or take away more than a minute anyhow.

Yeah Im not too worried about the weight. That would just be an added bonus of removing the gear. But I have my fpv antenna sticking out of the back like a tail. Would it be bad to have the compass on its seperate tail running parallel to it?

Correct compass placement on the Phantoms is crucial for correct operation.

If you don't mount the compass exactly as it came from the factory (on the proper LG leg) you're really going to run into control problems.

Look at the comments in the YouTube video and you'll get answers to how he did this.

He basically rebuilt much of the Phantom using some more advanced DJI components as well as other makes of transmitters and receivers.

You need an 8th channel to control something like a retractable landing gears, because the stock DJI remote (transmitter) only has 7 channels and it wouldn't work.

When he rebuilt it, he got around the compass mounting problem by buying one the more advanced DJI parts that actually combines both the GPS and magnetic antennas into one module.

I see. Yeah I am not trying to spend a lot of money on this mod. If there was a way to do it relatively cheaply then I would for sure.

The important thing for the compass, is that it must be mounted vertically facing in the right direction. You would also want to keep it as far away as possible from other wires which might generate a magnetic field. Other than that, the location is not critical. I have flown my P1 without landing gear and just attached the compass to a wooden dowel hanging down. it flew just fine.

Reactions: Brady

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl