Is flying in the snow harder than usual?

Reaction score
So, it is confirmed that I'm taking my first flight tomorrow or the day after at a local park. However, I'm in like 2 feet of snow (Most of it is actually ice).

Would it be unwise to make my first flight in the snow?

I would say so. Maybe you can find an indoor gym that will let you fly. It's not necessarily the snow that worries me, but wind is a big factor.

I thought your dad asked you to fly the little one for a month before flying the Phantom.

Sometimes it's difficult to get satellite reception indoors.
Might make it tricky to fly, but it sure won't get away. :lol:

GeneralKitFisto said:
So, it is confirmed that I'm taking my first flight tomorrow or the day after at a local park. However, I'm in like 2 feet of snow (Most of it is actually ice).

Would it be unwise to make my first flight in the snow?

There's no problem with flying during the winter months but find an area from you can takeoff that is cleared or hard pack.

If you do not have fpv keep you phantom close by as cold weather will shorten flying time.

Hardest part about flying in the winter is those digits get cold fast and with heavy gloves makes it hard to feel the sticks.

Here's a clip take in 20° temps. https://vimeo.com/121368793 Have fun!!

GeneralKitFisto said:
I asked if we could fly it today, and was told "Maybe."

I'll try and film the first flight and put it up here
Good luck to you and do ;)

Did you get a tracker for your quad yet? There are several stories on lost quads and many hours looking for where it may have gone down. Also a few where the tracker took the flier right to where the quad was. No 100% guarantee it will always tell you where it is, but better than not having one.

GeneralKitFisto said:
The DJI Vision app has a "Find my Phantom 2 Vision" feature. Will that work?
Yes and No . Please don't be asking this now because you done lost it Youngblood :eek:

GeneralKitFisto said:
That was the original plan, but I picked up the skill pretty fast.

Famous last words, "I picked up the skill pretty fast.", as you head out to see if you can find it. :eek: :lol:

If it's windy, then it's harder to fly in snow. If the wind's gone, it's not really any different. Bring something to launch off of so its not mostly in the snow.

Make sure you understand what all the lights mean, make sure you know when you have a home lock and when you have all the satellites. Make sure you know how to do a compass calibration. Stick around 40' or 50' max off the ground till you get a feel for it, which probably won't take you long. Remember it can be drastically windier when you go up higher. You don't want to try to fly lower than 10' until landing, the prop wash makes it difficult, and she'll kick up a lot of snow.

Another thing to consider is that you will be flying a white machine in a white world of snow. Should it go down out of sight you may not find it till spring. Get an external tracker for some additional security should something go wrong.

Flying in snow is no real problem. If you don't have any kind of FPV as said before keep it close as the battery time can be shortened by the cold.

If you have some kind of case for your phantom do take it as it gives a platform to take off from and also to fiddle with things.

Although I've flown nearly every day this winter I usually have a friend with me to hand catch so I don't have to plop my vision plus camera down in the snow.

Warm clothes are a must because you are stood still you get cold fast and once the adrenaline has left you it's cold, I usually wear one glove on my left hand and keep my right hand without a glove so I can control the iPhone screen. The wind is the worst part, it may not be so windy down at your level but when you get above treetops and or houses the wind can be quite violent and from any direction.

Keep your battery in your coat till you use it or prepare your machine in a car etc so it doesn't get too cold.

http://youtu.be/34OvfgccMPA This video was shot in about -15 c but not very windy

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20