Is anybody else getting great post production results in D-log?

Reaction score
I've used it successfully with my Mavic Pro Platinum before, but after all the negative comments I've heard and read regarding using it with the P4P, I was very apprehensive to try it with the P4P. I gave it a try, and after some basic color correction, and an aggressive LUT, even with a very novice skill level, the colors really came out great considering what I've heard. The raw footage is so flat, that at first I thought there was no way I would be able to fix it, especially considering it locks your ISO @500, but it really came to life. I've been using normal mode up until now, as the stock footage doesn't need much help, especially if you have your settings dialed in. I think I'm going to keep using D-log, because the end results are better than what I've gotten in D-Cinelike, or normal. I was sure the exposure would be totally blown out, but with a Polar Pro ND16-PL filter, and set to sunny, I was able to dial in the apature enough to get my histogram near perfect.

I'm done with D-log for now. I got very excited at my first post production effort, because the color was so good, but I'm not able to get rid of the noise that a 500ISO provides on further examination. If it's possible to get rid of the noise, I lack the ability to do so. I'm getting the best pre-production results shooting in normal mode, and landscape style of +1/+1/0, 4K/60fps oddly enough.

I'm done with D-log for now. I got very excited at my first post production effort, because the color was so good, but I'm not able to get rid of the noise that a 500ISO provides on further examination. If it's possible to get rid of the noise, I lack the ability to do so. I'm getting the best pre-production results shooting in normal mode, and landscape style of +1/+1/0, 4K/60fps oddly enough.
I'm at a loss as to why your ISO is set to 500. Outdoors should be set to 100.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
I'm at a loss as to why your ISO is set to 500. Outdoors should be set to 100.
Because the firmware locks ISO at 500 for D-Log. At least as of some particular firmware update. That’s why he’s done with D-Log.

Last edited:
Because the firmware locks ISO at 500 for D-Log. At least as if some particular firmware update. That’s why he’s done with D-Log.
I've never heard of firmware controlling or "locking" your ISO. Why on earth would it do that?

I shoot nothing but D-Log. ISO never exceeds 100. Phantom 3 Pro.

Reactions: Franky
I've never heard of firmware controlling or "locking" your ISO. Why on earth would it do that?

Apparently, the the P4P is a different situation. I get great color in D-log, but the noise is just too much to deal with, not worth it in the end. I'll probably switch to D-log on my Mavic Pro however, because the colors after post production are just stunning.

Because the firmware locks ISO at 500 for D-Log. At least as if some particular firmware update I think.

Because DJI says that ISO 500 is the “native ISO” for the P4P. I’ll see if I can find a write up on it and post the link here.

Agreed. I finally found ways to reduce the noise after much trial and error, but honestly at this point, I don't think D-log is a valid option for shooting with the P4P.
I’ve been using D-Cinelike as a substitute and like the results. I drop contrast and saturation a little bit though and then boost in post if I have to. Not too much though.

Also D-Log may not be good for these 8 bit cameras. You can introduce banding when you try to stretch out the dynamic range in post when adding back contrast.

Wowzers. I had no idea. Here again, glad I stuck with the P3!
But otherwise the P4P has a much better camera. So I’d rather sacrifice D-Log than sacrifice a better camera.

(ISO is only locked to 500 in D-Log. Not other styles.)

I have a P3 also and am getting much better photos and videos with the P4P without D-Log. I shoot D-cinelike at ISO 100

Reactions: Ripper7620
But otherwise the P4P has a much better camera. So I’d rather sacrifice D-Log than sacrifice a better camera.

(ISO is only locked to 500 in D-Log. Not other styles.)

I have a P3 also and am getting much better photos and videos with the P4P without D-Log. I shoot D-cinelike at ISO 100
I like the camera so much on the P4P, that I'm tempted to get the Obsidian version as well, but I'm gonna hold out for the Phantom 5.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj