Non-stop Sailing Round Britain record attempt, anyone keen to film it?

Reaction score
Hi all UK based Phantom pilots, a friend and I are attempting the first non-stop and outright fastest round Britain in a sailing dinghy world record in June 2019. We’re planning to make a film of the attempt using a number of onboard gopro’s, however what the film really needs is lots of stunning top quality drone footage, ideally something similar to the Volvo round the world footage that was achieved.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

A another friend who recently lost his Phantom 3 to an Osprey in the Caribbean, suggested that I write to this community to see if people would be interested to get involved. I should say now that unfortunately we don’t have any budget to help you out financially, as we barely have enough for the challenge itself, sorry, however the film we’d be putting together will be put out to social media and entered into the Banff Ocean Film festival in 2020, so who knows your footage could be shown on the big screen all over the world!

The three areas of the country that would be easiest for getting drone footage of the boat from land are: the Southeast England from Beachy Head around to Great Yarmouth, then the Southwest of Cornwall from the Lizard to Lands End and then most of the West and North coast of Scotland, where we’ll be passing close to numerous head lands.

The challenge should take around three weeks starting on the 7th June 2019 but we won’t know which point of the country we’ll start at until around 5 days before the start but we will have a yellow brick GPS tracker device onboard sending updates of our position to a publicly available site every 30mins and combined with consultation with our onshore team we will be able to make some estimated ETA’s for you but be aware you would need to be super flexible and track us remotely to time your positioning on a headland.

I don’t want to dress this up too much, it goes without saying that anyone keen to take this on needs to be a bloody good pilot primarily, able to shoot film worthy footage from the top of a headland at any daylight hour of the day in potentially windy conditions, willing to fly their drone over water in hazardous sea conditions as well as being super flexible and organised, still keen?!...

We’re totally open to suggestions from you guys as a community, we’re guessing that it would be most practical as a co-ordinated approach with three or four pilots from the different areas of the country mentioned shooting their area as opposed one person that would be up for joining our onshore team and following us around with for three weeks, but up to you guys, we’re not really sure how keen people would be to do this? We will be conducting sea trials in the SW area during April/ May 2019 if people wanted to use the opportunity to practice.

If you’d like to find out more about the project please go to our website at: nipegegiroundbritain.com and if you have any questions or suggestions please don’t hesitate to get in touch through your forum or at my work e-mail address at [email protected]

Kind Regards

Will

I’m sure the pilots here will be able to help. I’m in Southampton on the south coast if your stopping over. Maybe be able to help out around this area ?

Great stuff, someone has actually already started a new thread with me who would like to do the Scotland area which is fantastic. Unfortunately all going well we should be passing around 4NM south of the Isle of White so you're not in the best spot with the nearest headlands we'll be passing being the Lizard and Beachy Head!

Thanks for the offer though and yes would be great if others were keen to cover the SW and SE areas.

Cheers

Will

1542274659249.png

Will: I'm sure you already have this covered, but I'd want to see sufficient sample footage before committing to any drone pilot. There's a massive difference between mediocre and good - and this comes down to cinematography skills/experience (as well as piloting skills). I would also make sure that the camera quality is high enough: P4P or better. Not every drone pilot is as good at filming as he/she claims - and, as you realise, you don't want to be disappointed.

If you aren't successful from responses here, a quick local search around the UK of professional drone pilots would yield contacts; an email might get interest. Some could mutually benefit, without charging a fee on this occasion. This is one possibility who seems to know how to deliver: https://www.sussexdronefilming.co.uk/

One key stage will be editing. It's crucially important. Make sure you get someone very good.

All the best with the planning.

Hi African wildlife, Thanks for getting in touch, well it'd nice to be in a position to be able to vet people, at the moment we'd count ourselves lucky if we just get someone to take it on at all! I've looked at sussexdronefilming and wow they have got some stunning footage and awesome edits too it'd be a dream to be able to have that quality of production and footage would make an awesome film.

I'll get in touch and see what they say, like you say they might be interested in some more offshore footage for their portfolio or help out in other ways.

Thanks again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers