Is $200 good for a P3S?

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

First post here, nice site you've got here. I've been looking for my first non-cheapie quad (I'm good with a feather light Syma x5c-1) and looked all over Craigslist. One guy I've been talking to is going to sell me a P3S with no flight time but no box (reason for discount, not NIB) for $200. I've established that he is not a scammer and he's letting me test it before paying.

I know the P3A/P3P are better but how is a P3S for $200 with all included accessories and 3 weeks old in new condition? I would prefer not to pay $400-$600 plus cost of case/batteries/etc. Thanks in advance.

Edit: I am meeting him on Wednesday morning and have agreed to buy it at this point. Pending test flight and inspection of course.

Scott

Last edited:
It's certainly a fantastic deal if it's really brand new and never been flown. It sounds like you might be doubting this guy though. Otherwise, you probably would have purchased it already.

It's certainly a fantastic deal if it's really brand new and never been flown. It sounds like you might be doubting this guy though. Otherwise, you probably would have purchased it already.

Actually, I'm not. I've agreed to buy it but I won't be meeting him until Wednesday morning. I'm going to be in the MD/DC area for the upcoming holiday and he's in MD. Sorry I left that out. Edited OP.

So, you're just sharing your good find then? It sounds like you already know how much a P3S should cost.

So, you're just sharing your good find then? It sounds like you already know how much a P3S should cost.

Genuinely asking. Maybe not here but elsewhere on the internet (Reddit, etc) people are down on the P3S. I guess asking in the P3S/4k forum, people here would be more positive about it.

As far as cost goes, it is what people will pay. I know NewEgg had it refurb for $314 until it sold out and Walmart's doing $359 new on Black Friday. DJI has it around that price refurb now on various outlets. $200 isn't too outrageous given all that. He has the original receipt but it was from Walmart, who is not an authorized dealer. That would be a downside I suppose. No warranty from DJI.

Since this is a brand new unit (or so the seller claims), it would make more sense to compare it to new units being sold at $499. So, he's knocking $199 off the price just because it doesn't have a box. That sounds a little fishy to me.

Reactions: Squirrel! and Pharm
Since this is a brand new unit (or so the seller claims), it would make more sense to compare it to new units being sold at $499. So, he's knocking $199 off the price just because it doesn't have a box. That sounds a little fishy to me.

I agree with you that it would seem to be fishy. Whenever buying on Craigslist there's a risk. Too good to be true? Maybe. I will say that for a "scammer" this guy has honored my every request (more photos, receipt and answering incessant questioning). Damage and/or flight time should be easily discovered in person, right? I know where he lives and works and we've been talking for a couple of days constantly. Seems like a nice guy.

Any info to glean from the serial number if I can get him to send it? I imagine DJI would take longer to get back to me than it'll take to meet him in person.

Oh and for a little more context, he bought two (him and his father in law supposedly) and was originally listing a NIB one for $400. I low-balled him at $300 and he said he'd do it if it was still available on Wednesday. He sold it but told me he had his father in law's without box and he'd do $200 (based off our earlier $300?). This one was not yet listed on Craigslist. His father in law couldn't figure out how to operate it and apparently neither could he (too complicated). So if anything, he's possibly just ignorant of its value?

$300 for a NIB P3S? That sounds fishy too. Maybe this guy just has no need for money.

Reactions: Squirrel!
Why take the risk then? Call him out and ask him why he's knocking off $199 for a P3S that has never been powered on.

Why take the risk then? Call him out and ask him why he's knocking off $199 for a P3S that has never been powered on.

It's on my way. I'd rather not alert him to his low price. Any buy on Craigslist is a risk. At $200 it's a calculated risk. I've vetted him thoroughly as a person, if the copter flies and is undamaged I'll gladly take it.

With all the questions I've been throwing at him, the average shrewd Craigslist seller would've balked at the level of pre-sale support for $200. This guy, not so much. Einstein he is not.

Last edited:
Good luck. I hope this works out in your favor.

If your going to test it in person then you have nothing to lose. The other week I saw someone who sold a P3A for......£160.... Yes £160. If I knew I would have got it myself. Some people out there usually have no idea. But keep us updated

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

$200 for a never flown P3S is too good to be true and you know what they say about that. Something tells me you're going to be disappointed. Stolen maybe? I'd meet at a Starbucks or somewhere like that and proceed with extreme caution.

$200 for a never flown P3S is too good to be true and you know what they say about that. Something tells me you're going to be disappointed. Stolen maybe? I'd meet at a Starbucks or somewhere like that and proceed with extreme caution.
I hope you're wrong, obviously. I will be safe. We'll see how it all goes down. He seems like a good guy thus far.

[Qdon't E="extremetm, post: 992368, member: 15609"]$200 for a never flown P3S is too good to be true and you know what they say about that. Something tells me you're going to be disappointed. Stolen maybe? I'd meet at a Starbucks or somewhere like that and proceed with extreme caution.[/QUOTE]
I don't think STARBUCKS will let you fly there

Reactions: dirkclod

Depending on when I get to his area, it will either be at a park near his house or at his work. I'm not too concerned about my safety or him as a person but I want to make sure this thing works. I truly believe he just doesn't know its value.

Interesting that the thread is at 20 posts and not one word about the fact that the entire DC area is in a no fly zone. If he didn't happen to mention that, I would consider it a red flag. You're gonna have to drive out at least 15 miles from the center of DC to start the motors, although you should be able to at least boot up the AC and test the FPV and what-not.

OTOH, it could be they "couldn't figure out how to operate it" because they are in a DJI no fly zone.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark Lawson

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164