Ironbridge Power Station clip

Reaction score
The Ironbridge power generation station is scheduled to be demolished in the near future and replaced by housing (yes, even more!) so I thought I’d try and get some footage for posterity.
This is a short snatch based upon a sequence I saw on Ken Heron’s excellent YouTube drone site.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Telford Tom
They quit building that style of cooling towers. They're called Marley Towers. I worked on the piping in them many times. Marly was a good guy to work for. Any time he saw me around , he always knew my name.

Reactions: rangioran
The Ironbridge power generation station is scheduled to be demolished in the near future and replaced by housing (yes, even more!) so I thought I’d try and get some footage for posterity.
This is a short snatch based upon a sequence I saw on Ken Heron’s excellent YouTube drone site.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Cool Video

Reactions: rangioran
Thanks Telford Tom - can I take it from your username that you're local to Ironbridge?
I can see what you meant by the name. I read the history of the power plant and the Gorge. It is all very interesting. I still can't see why they didn't use the area to build a more efficient power plant.

Ahhh, Central West Virginia - closest I've ever been is Columbus, I think.

If you saw the Ironbridge Gorge you'd understand why folk aren't too sad to see it go. I remember it being built and it really was/is a complete eyesore!

Ahhh, Central West Virginia - closest I've ever been is Columbus, I think.

If you saw the Ironbridge Gorge you'd understand why folk aren't too sad to see it go. I remember it being built and it really was/is a complete eyesore!
It seems at one time, the whole area was an eye sore. Coal, clay, iron ore and limestone mining. The women in the area had the lowest rate in the UK. for life expectancy.
And there are those that want to keep the pink towers.

It seems at one time, the whole area was an eye sore. Coal, clay, iron ore and limestone mining. The women in the area had the lowest rate in the UK. for life expectancy.
And there are those that want to keep the pink towers.
True, Ironbridge has figured prominently in the industrial development not just of the UK, but the whole western world. However, that's all in the past and the power station has served its purpose. Yes, there are some who say they would like to see the towers preserved, but they are in the minority.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.