IRMA

Glad to see ole Irma settled down as it made landfall. Hopefully, you guys get things cleaned up and back to normal soon!

Reactions: BigAl07 and J Dot
Thank you all,
That means a whole heap ton! However big that is :rolleyes:

But doing well,
No power yet since 1:45 pm yesterday, ( well 2:00 ) the latest, as my wife called it in at 2:08 , and we talked in the street a while! But either way TOTAL BUMMER MAN!;)

But we are making the best of it,
And believe it or not
My 8yr boy is going stir crazy
My princess 4yr, just busted out her dollhouse, a few barbies, and threw a Royal Tea-Party! Go figure? 17yr ( doesn't see to care at all ) I got a WHAT-EVS DAD! ( I guess slang for whatever? )
Where I was forced to revert back to my philosophy :

SMILE & NOD!, just SMILE, and NOD!

( designed to deal with the LOVELY, and RADIANT, wife ) but SHHHHHHHHHHH, you did not hear that from me
:)

Ha
Works every time, :cool:
( seems to work on teenagers as well TOTAL BONUS! )

So the video:
Cell service still limited, took over 3 minutes for this page to load on my iPhone 7+.
I will get the video up asap, going to break it down into parts, takes forever to load otherwise! Lol

J Dot
:cool:

Ok
Still no power since Saturday 1:45-2:00pm
Where is Nichola Tesla? When you need him?

J Dot

Reactions: dirkclod
Ok
Still no power since Saturday 1:45-2:00pm
Where is Nichola Tesla? When you need him?

J Dot

Unfortunately Nikolai Tesla has passed. He will be dearly missed. Edison will have to fend for himself now......lol

Reactions: J Dot and dirkclod
Still no power!
And very limited cell service, cannot even follow what is going on in the world, as nothing loads! I'm surprised I'm able to talk to you here!
But all is well, ole generator has put in some hours, bought and installed a window shaker a/c unit, as it was 89 degrees in here, and miserable, got it to 81 now and dropping! Yeeeeee haw!
Trying to keep fridge cold so we don't lose our food, what a mess!

Try to post tomorrow

Ps: working on video have parts 1-4 complete, but still cannot upload, will keep trying!

J Dot

Lol ( EDISON, what a jerk! )o_O

So do you run the gen constantly or hour on/hour off?

Did you get all the fuel you wanted/needed or did you get caught in the long lines and fuel shortages?

Have you done the math on how long you'll be ok for fuel?

Any sense of when power will be back on? We sent crews from Ontario to help!

Are your neighbours as prepared as you?

Is the gen doing everything you need of it or are you swapping out appliances?

Do you run the gen to a sub panel or just extension cords?

No need to answer all of this now or ever, just curious, I have my set up ready to go and have never been able to test it, just really curious... Thought you might enjoy the distraction!

So do you run the gen constantly or hour on/hour off?

Did you get all the fuel you wanted/needed or did you get caught in the long lines and fuel shortages?

Have you done the math on how long you'll be ok for fuel?

Any sense of when power will be back on? We sent crews from Ontario to help!

Are your neighbours as prepared as you?

Is the gen doing everything you need of it or are you swapping out appliances?

Do you run the gen to a sub panel or just extension cords?

No need to answer all of this now or ever, just curious, I have my set up ready to go and have never been able to test it, just really curious... Thought you might enjoy the distraction!

Hello,
All good questions!
I'll answer them the best I can, as I have a 4yr old so things are a bit different for us!

Ok
1) generator runs constantly through the night!
( as needed through the day )
( as it is quite hot and humid here, so house heats up quickly ) but most importantly, trying not to lose food in the fridge ( we have 2 ) we put them together ( 1 drinks, other perishables ) we now shut drink fridge down, to conserve fuel!
( seem to stay cold for a few hours, if we run it for an hour! ) so more like hour on, 2/3 hours off daytime! At night with window shaker a/c constant or too hot to sleep! We have2 5gal gas cans, and generator runs about 6 hours on full tank!

2) fuel shortages
Mornings are best, I get up 5:30am every mornings by to run around town finding a station that A) has gas, and B) has power to pump it!
So far we been lucky by late afternoon all gas is gone! ( remember tons of people returned home and using up the fuel! ) found the farther from interstate the better to find fuel! I fill both cans and car if needed! 1st couple days were the worst, been getting better now! Yes always 20-30 min. To make it to pump to get fuel! Only once was there no line ( early bird gets the worm )

3) I can run ( 10-12 hours ) on both cans filled up!
Usually fill twice a day ( as I go at 5am, come home fill generator, then return to refill can for the day and night! Been working out great so far!

4) today is the first day, FPL, and water utilities were walking up and down the street assessing the damage, so things looking up! They say if all goes well, within24 hours we should have power, on another note, FPL sent us a text to our phones, saying by Sep. 22 the whole west coast will be back up and running! If this is the case, that SUCKS! But either way we will survive! Lol

Oh and GOD BLESS our Canadian brothers! EH+
( A+ ) ok bad joke! But seriously GOOD SHOW!

5) neighbors , not so prepared, we help where we can, but most have left to stay with relatives, or friends with power! Ice cold showers BLOW! But getting used to them now!
( I have a vegan neighbor, who is complained by about my generator running all night, and is throwing a tantrum, I told her I'm VERY SORRY, but we have kids and MEAT, and MILK, so it needs to run! ) I do feel bad, but it is what it is! I say vegan, because she has plants growing in her fridge! I have frozen meat, milk, yogurt, eggs,and a lot of perishables! In the end everyone is fine, I help with gas , and cords if anyone needs temp power for cleanup,etc! Also neighbors have offered us fuel when we were out! So good To go!

6) generator had been great, it has 2x 110vac outlets, and 2x 240v outlets ( I don't have a 240 cord, but have 1 cord solely tofridge ( used to be 2 we swap back and forth , but now stuffed the one, so much more easy on us! But the other runs a ( power block with several outlets, 1 to window unit, 1 to fan, and then cell chargers, and lastly ( tv and DVD ) all the important stuff! Lol but has been great, luckily I changed the oil in the generator Monday before the storm, so if I don't blow it up, we should be good! ( it is aYamaha w/electric start, and has been PERFECT ) so will have to write a nice letter to them, thanking them for a great and trustworthy machine! A+ ( model ( ygs600ds ))

6) extension cords , easier for me, and mobile, worked nicely when I took it to the road for me and my neighbors to cut limbs and remove wood from windows! Another A+

7) just added, to give thanks to the men and women working around the clock to bring us utilities back! THANK YOU ALL!

Short story,
As so many are rude, and disrespectful of FPL, and their employees.
My nephew ( 28yrs old ) works forDiversified ( contracted by FPL ) he was sent to Texas to help, while he was there, and storm was here, his roof blew off ( Arcadia ) leaving his 26yr wife, and 6yr daughter, to flee 1/4 mile down the road ( walking ) during the worst part of the storm! So any who want to be rude or disrespectful to any of our fine men and women from utilities services SHAME ON YOU! Imagine how he feels, trying to help, while family was in danger, and NOTHING HE COULD DO ABOUT IT! Sorry but had to vent on that!

Still limited cell service almost have video parts complete! Will try to upload when I can!
Thank you all! And stay safe, and be prepared for anything!

J Dot

LOVE the update! Awesome that you even had the time... love the detail! Helps share the experience...

Worst we ever had here was when the North Eastern power grid failed back in '03 and even then it was only 8-10 hours. Before that was the ice storm of early '98 but I was away... my long-retired Mom and Dad were out for 11 days but he's well set up with fuel and a gen in the county (and that was in the winter!)

I installed an emergency generator panel that lets me switch 6 circuits over to gen power with a flip of a switch but it was a great deal and a cool toy... sounds like extension cords are doing well for you.

The biggest problem I've ever had was the low oil sensors kick in (faulty, on two different gensets) and they shut the gen down THINKING it's low on oil. It's easy to bypass... just telling you in case it's something that happens to you (I pray not, but it's an easy fix).

When I was reading your post I went back and forth between sympathy, admiration and support, to outright laughter when I got to the vegan with the plants growing in the fridge!! LMAO!!

Yes, there are always those that complain, point fingers and lob insults but a lot of the linesmen/women are going well beyond their duty. It's great there are people like you to help recognize that.

And you're welcome for the Canadian support EH?! Don't apologize, it was a GREAT joke!!

Keep doing what you're doing, keep that meat and milk cold, keep the family taken care of, and we'll be here to read when you're ready!!

Here in NE Fla it wasn't as bad as south of me. 'Old Irma had blown herself out to a Cat 1 hurricane by the time she reached here. Power was out for about 36 hours, but the generator hummed along keeping the lights on and the beer in the fridge cold. Had more limbs and branches on my roof than was left on the trees.

One good thing from all this, Irma's winds took down a HUGE tall oak tree in my back yard. Now I have a big hole to fly through in the tree canopy that wasn't there before.

My thoughts and prayers are with those less fortunate in this difficult time.

A friend and I have debated going down to help with reconstruction. We both own small construction companies. Last thing we'd want is to be in the way, and maybe it's too early, but it's heartbreaking to see the Keys and feel completely capable, but somewhat helpless. Wouldn't even know how to start looking into how to help, constructively and productively.

Don't count you chickens before they hatch bro o_O

Lol
True, so true!:)

But still going, wife watching Bewitched on Tvland or one of those throwback channels! Lol ( new Darrin, looks like ).

Road to recovery, less traveled!o_O

J Dot

Ps: I was starting to feel like:

" Due to recent cut-backs, The LIGHT at the End of the Tunnel, Has been SHUT OFF! "

Ha ha, :D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4