iPhone battery drain

Blimey. Turn off Hardware Video Decoding..? where on I phone 6+ do i find that. Thanks anyway

Look under General Settings (see below). Hardware decoding can put a pretty big strain on your phone and suck the battery down. Try it and post what happens.

DjiPilotEnableHardwareDecode.jpg

Look under General Settings (see below). Hardware decoding can put a pretty big strain on your phone and suck the battery down. Try it and post what happens.

View attachment 43462

That is actually rather shocking. In theory, the purpose of hardware decoding is to allow the built in chips designed for decoding this type of information to do the work. This is typically very efficient and provides savings in battery life and system performance. Disabling hardware decoding will force all decoding work to transfer from the designated chips to the processor, which is not only slower, but much less efficient than the chips designed to do the work. I will be very interested to see the outcome of this testing...

That is actually rather shocking. In theory, the purpose of hardware decoding is to allow the built in chips designed for decoding this type of information to do the work. This is typically very efficient and provides savings in battery life and system performance. Disabling hardware decoding will force all decoding work to transfer from the designated chips to the processor, which is not only slower, but much less efficient than the chips designed to do the work. I will be very interested to see the outcome of this testing...
I couldnt agree more, but my experience has been that is causes significant battery drain on the device. I would suspect you get significant battery improvement on the controller when you offload to the phone but I have not test that theory.

Airplane mode.. Also it may sound simple but many people leave the go app on after they are done flying.. That really drains battery.

Exactly. END the app, don't just press the Home button. Pressing the Home button does not stop the app from running in the background, and it is quite hungry. On Android keep pressing the phone's Back button to end the app. Not sure how you end apps on iOS these days.

Im convinced that B4 I bought the Phantom 3 Advance, I read somewhere that the controller does replenish the iPhone during app use. Im convinced too that it was a DJI written article. Ive searched high and low since buying the 3Advance but cant find it. Has anyone else read the same anywhere ?

My iPhone 6 Plus has never charged from the RC. The big drain is GPS when using the DJI go app. In my limited testing I have seen no difference between hardware decode on and off. I found airplane mode saves some battery....but the most significant is GPS, but if you turn it off you lose follow me and ability to change home point to your location and the flight log also keeps track of your position....

My iPhone 6 Plus has never charged from the RC. The big drain is GPS when using the DJI go app. In my limited testing I have seen no difference between hardware decode on and off. I found airplane mode saves some battery....but the most significant is GPS, but if you turn it off you lose follow me and ability to change home point to your location and the flight log also keeps track of your position....
Interesting. I have used my WiFi only iPad with no GPS and had fast battery drain with the Hardware Decode on.

Reactions: grenville
Its very difficult to get any real definitive solution to this problem.
With the high number of owners who experience the battery drain issue, but no one has come up with a solution is a little concerning, especially when DJI do seem to rather promote Apple or rather the IOS as a platform to use for flight.
In my limited experience if today i had continued flying when my phone battery had gone down further, I might well have lost the thing. The phone battery rapid depletion is something DJI should be obliged to examine and rectify urgently.

Maybe we should post our battery depletion, I lose about 15% per 18 min flight iPhone 6 Plus. I usually start at 100% so I don't keep track really but I will now...

Reactions: grenville
Nick. Im sure you are right about posting our distaste and concerns relating to battery depletion. I can only speak from an iPhone 6 + point of view. Im sure other platform have similar results.
Perhaps, if we all make enough noise in the direction of DJI , then someone might hear us and find a resolution. After all, if one of us has an accident and we have raised the issue with DJI and they've done nothing to solve it the result could be catastrophic for DJI. Further more i would not want the finger pointed at me as being the cause of the incident. Would you ?
Okay, we all have a choice, fly or not to fly. But ive found a hobby I love and ill be damned if ill quit.

Hey ive just seen a flying pig ! DJI have announced they will give all 3 advance and Pro owners a free monitor with incredible battery life. Just kiddin .......I wish............Ho humm

Reactions: Kenneth Gundersen
To clarify I am not disappointed with 15% battery loss per flight, since that is similar to the rate of any app that uses active GPS positioning of the phone. So to me, 15% is normal...

Problems with battery drain eliminated. I no longer use the iPhone 6 +....Bought a used iPad 3 Mini. Excellent battery life and what a difference having a decent size screen makes. Now im like a cat with Two tails.

I have noticed my battery drains a lot faster after the go app was installed on my iPhone 6s, even when I'm not flying. I noticed the location service icon was on all of the time as well. I went into my iPhone settings and it was the compass calibration that was on all of the time. I have now turned it off and my drain is normal. Seems like the go app has been requesting the compass calibration to be on even when the app isn't being used.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

@grenville,

I have been experimented and if I turn off background refresh, location services, and fly in airplane mode I only use 3% per flight. That is with hardware decode on, I am now curious how it will go with hardware decode off...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues